Worried about Brexit, anyone else?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
#DeathByBrexit is trending on Twitter, alot of diabetics raising their concerns

People will be concerned, but for me, there is no point over worrying about something that may or may not happen, it won't do our BG any good. Believe me when I say, I do not want to ever scrimp on Insulin, or go without, but it hasn't happened, so I hope people will calm down and not get hysterical.
Just to add, I am 30 years down the line and I have a young granddaughter with Type 1 as well.

Reactions: ChrissiStar and ert

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have so many contradictory statements I am no longer able to discern what is truth and what are down right lies and complacency I guess we will just have to wait and see all the complacent lies and deceit will not change the outcome one little bit we will all know in a short while.

give me patience.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Belgium MEP Phillipe Lamberts pretty much told it like it is in (& pretty consistent with my assessment of our current government's handling of it all.) a channel 4 news interview "are Brexit talks yielding any progress" four days ago.. (4/9//2019.)

Feel free to find it yourself. The link contains expletives, (& there is a warning of strong language.) which they didn't even bother to bleep out at the time it was aired before the "watershed." :banghead:

lindisfel

Expert
Where has British pragmatism and moderation gone?

So sad, when a senior doctor who contributed to the Yellowhammer document is ridiculed.

T1Sean99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where has British pragmatism and moderation gone?

So sad, when a senior doctor who contributed to the Yellowhammer document is ridiculed.

Indeed, i feel we just need to be informed. Not informing us shows the government has no plan in place and is what is scaring most of us.

Reactions: Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those who have concerns relating to their insulin supplies, I received this today from Diabetes UK.

"9 September 2019

Dear

Brexit and the supply of Insulin

As the main contact for one of our Local Groups, we know that you are a relied-upon source of information and support for people living with diabetes in your area. In light of recent and ongoing political news surrounding Brexit, we’re aware that you may be asked about what Diabetes UK is doing to ensure the availability of insulin and diabetes medications and devices in the event of a no-deal.

We’re writing to you today to give you an update on our work in this area. Please be assured that we’re not writing to cause alarm; we felt it was important to give our Local Groups the latest on our work on this issue, to help you feel confident in answering any questions you may get, and in where to signpost people for further information should they need it.

As you will know, in April the UK Government agreed a further extension of the Article 50 period with the EU until 31 October 2019. While the UK Government says that leaving the EU with a deal remains its priority, there remains a high degree of uncertainty about what will happen on 31 October.

The UK Government has overall responsibility for EU exit contingency planning and for customs entry and control. We have been in regular contact with the Department of Health and Social Care for a number of months to ensure that the safety of people with diabetes is not compromised during this time, and that uninterrupted supplies of insulin and other medications are maintained.

Two of the main insulin manufacturers who supply insulin to people in the UK (Novo Nordisk and Sanofi) have confirmed they have increased their insulin stock levels, from the normal six weeks stock holding to 16 weeks, to ensure no disruption to supply in the immediate aftermath of a no-deal. We do not believe there is any reason to be concerned about medication shortages at this time.

Diabetes UK continues to liaise closely with the UK government’s Department of Health and Social Care, and we will of course continue to seek assurances that people living with diabetes will receive their essential medication in the event of a no-deal.

We will keep you updated with any further information that we receive and in the meantime please do read, and feel free to refer others to Diabetes UK’s Brexit blog for all the latest. The blog will be updated with any further information as we receive it.

If you or anyone else has any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your local Diabetes UK office, or get in touch with our Helpline on 0345 123 2399, or by emailing[email protected]

Thank you for the continued hard work you and your Local Group do in supporting people with diabetes in your community.

Yours sincerely,"

Reactions: Dodo and michita

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Up to last week ..my meds were issued in 8 weeks' worth of doses ..but I've now been asked to collect 'em in monthly ✻batches✻ instead ..this may or may not be relevant to the thread ..but I'm dropping it into the mix, anyway.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Up to last week ..my meds were issued in 8 weeks' worth of doses ..but I've now been asked to collect 'em in monthly ✻batches✻ instead ..this may or may not be relevant to the thread ..but I'm dropping it into the mix,

Have never been able to have more than 4 weeks supply at a time. Changed GPs 4 years ago when I moved. The previous Gp would ring and tell me off if I put my prescription in early if going away. One day early not allowed. This Gp has never questioned early prescriptions but I wouldn’t be allowed 8 weeks worth.

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's just the planning assumptions, not the anticipated consequences.

The charming Ms Leadsom says the detail should be kept secret 'to avoid concerning people'. So that's a 50 year wait to find out!
My mistake, should have looked more carefully. I wonder what the redacted text said?

T1Sean99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mistake, should have looked more carefully. I wonder what the redacted text said?
The redacted text is apparently fuel shortages, after reading that document i don't feel so good. We are close to the date so we will find out i suppose. 2020 in the UK sounds like it's gonna be hell on earth after reading the Yellowhammer doc.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You were wondering about the redacted para 15 in Yellowhammer?
This the redacted bit:

"15. Facing EU tariffs makes petrol exports to the EU uncompetitive. Industry had plans to mitigate the impact on refinery margins and profitability but UK Government policy to set petrol import tariffs at 0% inadvertently undermines these plans." [More to come]

"This leads to significant financial losses and announcement of two refinery closures (and transition to import terminals) and direct job losses (about 2000). (2/3)

Resulting strike action at refineries would lead to disruptions to fuel availability for 1-2 weeks in the regions directly supplied by the refineries." (3/3)

Anyone remembered that the yellowhammer bird makes a call that was always written down as sounding like “a little bit of bread and NO cheese”? We’re being trolled by our own government.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not being insulin dependent my knowledge of the ramifications of it's use production and storage is limited I just wonder how long it can be stored and if it comes with an expiry date I do know from some posts on here that it is not meant to be or recommended to be kept in a fridge for longer than 28 days.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Not being insulin dependent my knowledge of the ramifications of it's use production and storage is limited I just wonder how long it can be stored and if it comes with an expiry date I do know from some posts on here that it is not meant to be or recommended to be kept in a fridge for longer than 28 days.

Insulin has a use by date on the box The one I am currently using ; NovoRapid penfill, which is stored in my fridge, 5 x 3 ml cartridges, 04/21, so I don't where the you got the above highlighted info from, as it is not correct.