Hba1c - can you predict it?

sausage91

I was diagnosed just over a year ago. Hba1c was 97. Following tests - 63, 56 and my last one was 40. Doctor told me to keep taking metformin and lose more weight (Ive lost 5st 10llb so far) and if my next test is 40 or below I can stop taking metformin.. Im finding losing any more weight nigh impossible - doing extra exercise, cant eat any less, not eating anything 'bad' fasting two days but the scales just keep telling me exact same weight. Will my next test be the same - does it just fluctuate anyway? Im super anxious about the next test (due October) - Im desperate to stop taking these tablets. Any experience or wisdom would be really appreciated.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started I used Mysugr a free phone app. I recorded my food and readings. After 6 days it gave me an estimated hba1c. Not exact as the lab result but close enough to be motivating.

Well done on the fabulous weight loss. Someone else may be along to give you some advice on jump starting things.

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people may well question whether, with an HBA1C of 40, you still need to be on Metformin. After all, if you presented to your doctor as a new patient and tested at 40 you would be out of even the pre-diabetic range and would be unlikely to be prescribed anything other than lifestyle caution.

On the wider point about weight loss (and your numbers are fantastic by the way) do you feel like you’ve still got more to lose? If so, are we talking a couple of pounds or a couple of stone. If it’s the latter it’s going to be frustratingly slow. Also, to help people advise it may be useful to understand what you’re eating on the days when you’re not fasting.

Whatever happens, well done, be proud and don’t let these kind of numbers get you down at all!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done on both HbA1c and weight reductions - those are excellent results !

It's your glucose levels that determine your HbA1c results not your weight, and if you're eating food that tends not to raise those levels, weight need not necessarily be an issue. I'm still a fair bit overweight and have kept that weight stable for over 5 years but my HbA1cs stay down at low pre-diabetic levels due to my LCHF diet - and from experience, yes, I can make a fair guesstimate at my next results! (Our main diabetes.co.uk site also has an HbA1c calculator - using your average glucose levels -> here )

Some people are happy to continue with metformin for other benefits it may provide after they no longer need it for diabetic reasons - @Rachox for example, but if you feel you no longer need it... it's your choice.

Robbity