Type 1 Need some advice

BeckyJames97

Hiya,

So I’m new to the forum and have joined to see if anyone can offer any advice. A brief background of my history...

I have been a type 1 diabetic for around 8 years now and never fully come to terms with it. I have been told I suffer with depression and anxiety, currently taking meds etc but really now need to take control.

I have been in hospital numerous times with DKA, levels always on the high side and don’t seem to ever have the determination to get things right. I know exactly what I should be doing and I know I can take control but I just don’t. It’s not laziness and I’ve tried therapy but nothing seems to click. I have a very supportive family (my auntie is also diabetic) and friends who want the best for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to just get a grip and take control would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello welcome!
I’m sorry to hear you are struggling. Sending you lots of hugs! Have you asked to see a dietitian or a carb counting course? It’ll be a good start to understand diabetes a bit more. Once you know how to count carbs and you start seeing good numbers, I hope that will take some pressure off your shoulders and you’ll start smiling. I know when diabetes isn’t good, my mental health isn’t good and it is a tough balancing act.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@BeckyJames97 it is a lot of effort to find the balance.
It’s great to hear you are taking your meds and that you have posted here.
I find that if my basal insulin is right then things are easier in general.
You say that you are high a lot, do you correct or just leave it? Do you wake high and stay high all day?

Reactions: EllieM

BeckyJames97

Hello welcome!
I’m sorry to hear you are struggling. Sending you lots of hugs! Have you asked to see a dietitian or a carb counting course? It’ll be a good start to understand diabetes a bit more. Once you know how to count carbs and you start seeing good numbers, I hope that will take some pressure off your shoulders and you’ll start smiling. I know when diabetes isn’t good, my mental health isn’t good and it is a tough balancing act.

Thank you! I have been on a carb counting course and this is where I seem to go off the rails a bit.. maybe a refresher would do me some good! And speaking to a dietician is a great shout, thank you! It’s so tough to deal with day in and out and I try to tell myself that sometimes it’s okay to have a bad day, as long as there are more better days!

BeckyJames97

@BeckyJames97 it is a lot of effort to find the balance.
It’s great to hear you are taking your meds and that you have posted here.
I find that if my basal insulin is right then things are easier in general.
You say that you are high a lot, do you correct or just leave it? Do you wake high and stay high all day?

Hi! I’ll be honest, a lot of the time I don’t inject my basal but when I do, I do notice a difference. Because of this I wake high and tens to stay high as it puts me in a bad mood! I do sometimes correct this and may have the odd good reading after this.

I know the first step would be to actually make sure I’m taking my insulin, but it’s almost as if I have a thing to rebel and pretend it’s not really there! Deffo more of a mental side I need to focus on.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! I have been on a carb counting course and this is where I seem to go off the rails a bit.. maybe a refresher would do me some good! And speaking to a dietician is a great shout, thank you! It’s so tough to deal with day in and out and I try to tell myself that sometimes it’s okay to have a bad day, as long as there are more better days!

We are always here for you, just a click away. I tend to find when my life isn’t going too well, my diabetes suffers too. It’s indeed tough, but don’t forget we are in this together. I promise you once you get those single digits, you’ll feel amazing. Has your diabetes team offer any help? Or further help? I know some of us got libre sensors and pumps etc. I was able to get the sensor in June and it has been beneficial in knowing how your diabetes is doing inbetween tests and overnight.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Basal helps a lot and waking up closer to range is a good start to the day.
See if you can try it for a week...

BeckyJames97

We are always here for you, just a click away. I tend to find when my life isn’t going too well, my diabetes suffers too. It’s indeed tough, but don’t forget we are in this together. I promise you once you get those single digits, you’ll feel amazing. Has your diabetes team offer any help? Or further help? I know some of us got libre sensors and pumps etc. I was able to get the sensor in June and it has been beneficial in knowing how your diabetes is doing inbetween tests and overnight.

It’s very true, almost a vicious circle that can be hard to break! A pump is out of the question because of so many DKA admissions and I’m not too keen... Libre I did have before it became available on NHS so may speak to my team about this one.. just need that spark to get me going!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Try looking at it a little differently. I was happy I was diagnosed a type 1, not because I'm happy having type 1, but because I was finally diagnosed right and could go from there.

This disease can be work sometimes. But we have an easy tool to live a normal and happy life! Insulin!

It sometimes takes more work, but you can be healthy, eat what you want, mostly do what you want, everything, if you just take your insulin as needed.

Try looking at it as we have this really great tool to use and you just have to use it!

BeckyJames97

Try looking at it a little differently. I was happy I was diagnosed a type 1, not because I'm happy having type 1, but because I was finally diagnosed right and could go from there.

This disease can be work sometimes. But we have an easy tool to live a normal and happy life! Insulin!

It sometimes takes more work, but you can be healthy, eat what you want, mostly do what you want, everything, if you just take your insulin as needed.

Try looking at it as we have this really great tool to use and you just have to use it!

This is a really good way of looking at it! I have thought before it’s not the worst thing compared to other diseases (I hate using this word) and we do have complete control over it. I feel I put too much pressure on myself and feel sorry for myself when really I have no need to.

Will take on what you said about Insulin being the tool to fix it all and to work with, thank you!