Unexplained anger

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Hello everyone, not posted in a while, I've been trying to ignore my condition but I'm failing, ahem, anyway the reason for the post is does anyone else find themselves flying off the handle and losing their temper at the most trivial things?, yesterday I had to take myself away from people because I could feel myself getting irate and starting to get argumentative, almost wanting to get physical and damage something or, god forgive me, someone. I checked my sugars this morning and it was 4.7 which was the lowest I've had it for quite some time. Is it just me or is this another symptom? Kinda worried here...thanks for taking the time to read this and appreciate any response.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I can become irrationally angry if my blood glucose drops too low. As we are all variable one person's normal blood glucose is another's hypoglycemia.

Sixpence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Grant 1969, find I start to become irritable when my blood sugar is falling and this often happens before I feel hungry then if I don't have something to eat I become anxious and shaky. So no, it's not just you being affected by your blood sugar levels.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I entirely agree that if anyone's blood sugar level falls, it may affect their mood. I went through several years of ending up in tears at the least thing, if my level ever dropped below to below about 4.5 mml. It was embarrasing. If your body and brain are used to a higher level, they may react in some way. You don't need anger management ! Good luck with this. We all know it's not easy.

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yea diabetes makes sex a lot less easy for me too

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The emotions can easily overtake you. But at my core, I'm not that type of person and easily keep it in check. "Do unto others" and all that stuff

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi @Grant1969 I always found high blood sugar made me irrationally angry and I would fly off the handle for the smallest reason, even though I have always had the reputation of being very patient and calm. For exactly that reason I would not want to be in the company of others when high. The more stable your b/s the less likely this will happen. All the best, another Grant

Reactions: Grant1969

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks everyone for the responses, feeling a bit better about myself now but still finding living with myself quite difficult when all I seem to do nowadays is find myself unable to do what I used to do and feel so weak blaming it on the diabetes and then get annoyed because I should be grateful that I'm as able as I am when better people are worse off than me.
Again, thanks everyone, I just need to reassess myself and my situation and make the most of what I have.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
My husband has Parkinsons and is becoming very difficult with, gets confused and with my current high blood sugar levels I get so angry - totally irrational as I know his anger and name calling is a result of his illness!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
:arghh:Im fairly sure I had my first hypo yesterday and I'm still getting over it today despite my BG being ok now. I felt rough first thing and couldn't face getting up showered and dressed when my carer came. She thought staying in bed was the right thing for me so I went back to sleep. Woke up again at 9.25a.m. In every previous occasion of me not getting up with my beloved at 5.30 a.m., he always calls me between 8-8.30 to check on me. Obviously he hadn't and I realised that my ironing lady was delivering back the ironing at 9.30. It takes me a while to function but I knew I had to answer the door so I dragged myself up, on my crutches and got to the door around 9.35 good job she was a bit late. She came and looked at me and said I ought to go back to bed, which I did. 9.55 my best friend rang and I burst into tears and couldn't speak to her.
10.00 Beloved rings and asked if I'm alright as I hadn't answered his email. I lost my rag and told he hadn't rung to wake me up and he replied you didn't ask me. Never had to before, so I hung up on him. He rang back four times but I didn't answer and eventually went back to sleep.
11.00 he arrives home in full panic mode as he thought I'd fallen, passed out or something worse and couldn't answer the telephone. That made me even more tearful. Then he asked if I'd had breakfast, which I usually have around 6.30 before he leaves for work followed by my morning collect of 14 tablets. He gave me my testing kit and then took it back and did it himself At it said by BG was 1.2. So he made me toast and marmalade (not LCHF apart from the butter but it was all he could think of) had that had my tablets went back to sleep. Apparently he retested 1.30 and it was 3.8. I didn't notice being fast asleep. He did it again 2.30 still 3.8 and I finally woke up around 4 but felt so rough I was back in bed after eating at 6.30.
I'm still rough today but no unusual readings, so I assume that's my first hypo but I could still sleep for England.
We've now arranged with my carer that if she finds me like that again she's going to feed me and supervise me taking my tablets and will call again later. It was a horrible experience and I'm still grumpy. My readings today were 4.7 before breakfast 5.8 2hrs after but I have the most dreadful headache and kept falling asleep all day.
Long ramble sorry but this is the first hypo in three years, nothing was different about what I ate or did Tuesday so why did it happen and how do I prevent it as I don't want to feel like this again? :arghh:

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm by no means an expert but as difficult as it is I think going to sleep when your readings are that low is very unadvisable, having something to raise your levels and then seeing how you feel once the numbers have risen is safer because sometimes sleep can be mistaken for unconsciousness.
It has become apparent that when your blood sugars are high or low people tend to get overly emotional and either become tearful or angry. For the diabetic it's confusing because you don't understand where these, sometimes powerful, feelings are coming from and for the carer it can upsetting and difficult to remember that it's not the real you that's reacting this way. Trying to get your blood sugar levels on an even keel and bearing in mind that acting out of the ordinary is unfortunately part and parcel of the condition.
Hope you get things levelled out soon and you start to manage better, like myself, everyday is a lesson and we just need to learn.

Reactions: Norfolkmell

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I'm by no means an expert but as difficult as it is I think going to sleep when your readings are that low is very unadvisable, having something to raise your levels and then seeing how you feel once the numbers have risen is safer because sometimes sleep can be mistaken for unconsciousness.
It has become apparent that when your blood sugars are high or low people tend to get overly emotional and either become tearful or angry. For the diabetic it's confusing because you don't understand where these, sometimes powerful, feelings are coming from and for the carer it can upsetting and difficult to remember that it's not the real you that's reacting this way. Trying to get your blood sugar levels on an even keel and bearing in mind that acting out of the ordinary is unfortunately part and parcel of the condition.
Hope you get things levelled out soon and you start to manage better, like myself, everyday is a lesson and we just need to learn.
Thank you, that sounds like good advice. We really had no idea what to do and having gone three years and no hypo I had this daft idea that I wouldn't get one. Things have evened out now, BG steady in my normal range and lost three pounds last week so much happier now. :)