How do you get your Libre Sensors to Stay on? Any Tips?

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi there! How do you get your Libre sensor to stay on please? Any tips? It worked great for us in the past, but the last few sensors have ended way too early... the one we just took off only lasted 5 days (Instead of 14)! I looked online and saw some ideas so I have placed an order for a few items that might help.. Thought I would ask here as well... I am very open to any and all ideas!
Please share anything that works for you. Eg Do you use a special adhesive? Or put it somewhere else other than the back of your arm? Or anything else you can think of? Thank you!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @MsBea The most effective solution I found was using Tegaderm plasters which cover the entire area, they keep the blighters in place ;)

Reactions: MsBea

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hello @MsBea The most effective solution I found was using Tegaderm plasters which cover the entire area, they keep the blighters in place ;)

Thank you Juicyj!! I purchased those in the past but it seems we might still need a little extra "something" as the sensors still keep falling off even with those on! My son is not super active either so I am not sure what's going on. Or maybe we just got a bad batch of sensors? Thanks again!

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I find the positioning of the sensor makes aa big difference to how long they stay on.
When I place mine on the back of my arm as many of the Libre pictures show, it is easily knocked and can fall off.
When I place it more underneath my arm, it stays longer.

When you say it falls off, where does it fall off from?
This sounds like a weird question and is a little difficult to explain but, bear with me.
When my sensor falls off, the sticky backing remains attached to my arm and the sensor comes off with no backing/plaster attached. I think this is because my is not very large or flat. There are few areas as big as the sensor that remain flat. Therefore, the sensor slowly peels away from the backing as my arm flexes.
Therefore, when I look for something to keep my sensor in place, I look for something that can hold the filament in my arm.
Recently, I have been using VetWrap. This is reusable, cheap and does not have any additional glue for my body to react with.
It does not work underneath tight sleeves but the sleeves themselves keep the sensor in place so this is not a problem.

Thanks so much Helen!! Hmmm that is so interesting re underneath your arm vs back of the arm... just to make sure I understand clearly do you put it on the inside of your arm, so closer to your armpit? Is that what you mean by underneath the arm? That might work better since it's a little more fatty right? I have to look more into that, Thanks for sharing!!

So what I mean is that the sticky outer circle remains on his skin! But the actual sensor (the middle plastic(?) part that has the needle) starts coming off. Sometimes it starts raising up just a bit and doesn't come off completely, but it rises enough to dislodge the needle from his skin and render the sensor useless. We have tried putting the Tegaderm patch on it but it doesn't seem to help much.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and what works for you! He doesn't wear tight sleeves so that would be just fine for us! I will go look up the VetWrap right now and see if I can find it! Thank you!:)

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I find the positioning of the sensor makes aa big difference to how long they stay on.
When I place mine on the back of my arm as many of the Libre pictures show, it is easily knocked and can fall off.

This sounds like a weird question and is a little difficult to explain but, bear with me.
When my sensor falls off, the sticky backing remains attached to my arm and the sensor comes off with no backing/plaster attached. I think this is because my is not very large or flat. There are few areas as big as the sensor that remain flat. Therefore, the sensor slowly peels away from the backing as my arm flexes.
Therefore, when I look for something to keep my sensor in place, I look for something that can hold the filament in my arm.
Recently, I have been using VetWrap. This is reusable, cheap and does not have any additional glue for my body to react with.
It does not work underneath tight sleeves but the sleeves themselves keep the sensor in place so this is not a problem.

Oh and my son is very very lean! I don't know if that also affects things. So thinking about it, the inner part of his arm might be better than the back. ..hmm. Only thing is, he also wears a body brace for now and I try to keep the sensor away from the brace so it is not constantly hitting the brace!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The easiest way I found to apply the libre was to pull my arm up (as though flexing my muscles) and attach it to the underside, as Helen's said it's less likely to get knocked or moved around from this position.

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
The easiest way I found to apply the libre was to pull my arm up (as though flexing my muscles) and attach it to the underside, as Helen's said it's less likely to get knocked or moved around from this position.

Thanks Juicy!:)

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other

I found the VetWrap on Amazon! Helen, what size do you find works best for you please? I am thinking either the 3 inch or the 4 inch right? Thanks!

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other

Fantastic. Thank you so much! Love the extra info on that thread too. Feeling very optimistic! The Libre has made our lives so much easier and has given us much more insight into what is going on all through the day! And for us it is so much more affordable than the Dexcom or the Medtronic. So I really want it to work out :D. Thanks so much once again to you and Juicy for your helpful tips! :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at the libre users web site and I thought that the pictures showing the use of the sensor were wrong. No-one, even the how to do it pictures, showed it on the back of the arm. They all showed it on the side of the arm and complained about it being removed by collision with a door. I suspect something similar if the round white bit is lifted but the gluey part is still in place.

I suggested this. Get in front of a mirror and place the left hand on the head. Point the elbow at the mirror and you should now be looking at the back of your arm. Shave the area and apply the surgical spirit pad or your own bottle if you have some and then apply the sensor.

This doesn't mean there can't be accidents. I cover mine with a sports tubular bandage and I have not had one lift until I pulled a shirt over my head and the shoulder seam stripped it off. A little care is needed.

Last edited:

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I looked at the libre users web site and I thought that the pictures showing the use of the sensor was wrong. No-one, even the how to do it pictures, showed it on the back of the arm. They all showed it on the side of the arm and complained about it being removed by collision with a door. I suspect something similar if the round white bit is lifted but the gluey part is still in place.

I suggested this. Get in front of a mirror and place the left hand on the head. Point the elbow at the mirror and you should now be looking at the back of your arm. Shave the area and apply the surgical spirit pad or your own bottle if you have some and then apply the sensor.

This doesn't mean there can't be accidents. I cover mine with a sports tubular bandage and I have not had one lift until I pulled a shirt over my head and the shoulder seam stripped it off. A little care is needed.

Thank you Squire!!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you consider this to be on the side of the arm or the back of the arm.

Tezza.PNG

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Would you consider this to be on the side of the arm or the back of the arm.

View attachment 35609

I would say this picture is definitely on the side, not the back of the arm! What do you think?

When we apply it we put it more on the back of the arm like the pictures in the Libre How to guide show. The last couple times we’ve had trouble with it have been in the morning after he wakes up. So we scan it with the reader at night and it works fine, and then in the morning it has either come off completely or it’s been dislodged a bit and doesn’t work anymore so we have to take it off. But the outer sticky part is still on there quite firmly.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I use two strips of Kinesiology tape at right angles. That is, in a cross.
On the first strip I leave the backing on the middle bit so it doesn't stick to the sensor.
This means that you can strip it off and replace it if it gets tatty without lifting the sensor off as well.

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I use two strips of Kinesiology tape at right angles. That is, in a cross.
On the first strip I leave the backing on the middle bit so it doesn't stick to the sensor.
This means that you can strip it off and replace it if it gets tatty without lifting the sensor off as well.

Thanks for sharing Cat! Much appreciated! :)

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other

Great tip on self application! I will share this tip with him for when he is putting it on himself. Thank you again for sharing!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I exfoliate my arm really well and then make sure it’s nice and dry before putting the sensor on. I’ve not had one fall off yet, they’re still well stuck on at the end of two weeks.

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I exfoliate my arm really well and then make sure it’s nice and dry before putting the sensor on. I’ve not had one fall off yet, they’re still well stuck on at the end of two weeks.

Thanks so much for sharing, Slip! Here's hoping we have the same experience this time! We are on day 4 now, so far so good! :) Thanks again!:)

CearaRed1073

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
onions, cheeseburgers, diabetes, colors of red, yellow, and orange, houston (too big and WAY too much traffic, not nearly enough public transportation)
Thanks so much for sharing, Slip! Here's hoping we have the same experience this time! We are on day 4 now, so far so good! :) Thanks again!:)

MsBea, I know you said you've tried the TegaDerm, but weren't happy with it. But did you try the TegaDerm with the pad in the middle? Much like the person who said they were using the kinesiology tape, but leaving the adhesive on the middle part, to keep the sensor from dislodging, they make TegaDerm with a small padded section in the center (https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEGADERM-PAD-Dressings-Transparent-Waterproof/dp/B079DKZ4LD/)