Current NHS dietary advice for diabetes.....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just saw this from my local mob.. and in 2019....!

http://www.westernsussexhospitals.n...Food-Fact-Dietary-Advice-for-Pre-Diabetes.pdf

They wonder why we are sometimes a bit nasty about dieticians..

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 14.45.26.png

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This eating plan worked on my husband! Although he's a vegetarian, so a little bit of difference there. He does take Metformin, lost weight, eats more veggies as snacks, salads etc and less junk. But he still eats whole wheat bread, whole grains, whole wheat pastas etc. Metformin doesn't work for everyone, it just blocks what your liver is making. But when it does, it works great! He is still losing weight and probably will stay on Metformin because he still likes to eat some junk food. Everyone can vary what works for them. But his A1C was 44 last check.

I would be concerned about his heart health as it is still an extra risk with an HbA1C of 44. Also there is some evidence that diabetic complications can occur while within the prediabetic range. Surely some additional diet changes would be safer?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be concerned about his heart health as it is still an extra risk with an HbA1C of 44. Also there is some evidence that diabetic complications can occur while within the prediabetic range. Surely some additional diet changes would be safer?

Tricia, I think we need to keep things in perspective here. I know it's all about risk and perception etc but I for one would NOT be overly concerned about 'heart health' if my h1ac was 44, I was pre diabetic and mostly living how I wanted and healthily. In my humble opinion there is too much scaremongering going on simply because someone isn't practically keto.

Reactions: Robbity

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My Hba1c is stubbornly at the top of normal - but I know that I am not spiking after meals - I suspect that after decades of being unable to cope with carbs and periods of high carb diets with low fat thrown in my metabolism is skewed permanently.
The lack of spikes is good news, to my way of thinking, and I would be a little more agitated if I was seeing BG in the teens - or even much above 8mmol/l.

VMK

This eating plan worked on my husband! Although he's a vegetarian, so a little bit of difference there. He does take Metformin, lost weight, eats more veggies as snacks, salads etc and less junk. But he still eats whole wheat bread, whole grains, whole wheat pastas etc. Metformin doesn't work for everyone, it just blocks what your liver is making. But when it does, it works great! He is still losing weight and probably will stay on Metformin because he still likes to eat some junk food. Everyone can vary what works for them. But his A1C was 44 last check.

I am amazed how different ways of eating affect us all differently. I’m certainly not able to tolerate many carbs and am trying to keep below 50g per day but it’s not easy....

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think CatManRib meant in the case of a nutritionist recommending eggs they can’t as “eggs and red meat should be avoided”. Ie, that’s what they say and are taught to tell patients. Hope that makes sense!

Possibly. It was written in an ambiguous way...

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@lucylocket61 I didn't say it would work for everyone, I said it worked on my husband and I said everyone can vary. What works for one person obviously doesn't always work on the next. I just want it known that everyone doesn't automatically have to eat low carb. There are other choices out there that can work.

Add: He is in complete good health and does not take anything else other than metformin and some vitamins. No blood pressure issues, no cholesterol problems etc.

Reactions: mojo37

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Just saw this from my local mob.. and in 2019....!

http://www.westernsussexhospitals.n...Food-Fact-Dietary-Advice-for-Pre-Diabetes.pdf

They wonder why we are sometimes a bit nasty about dieticians..

View attachment 35603

I think this is part of the reason for the unrelenting surge in obesity and T2DM, the other part is or at least one part is people's inability to stop eating garbage and not knowing any better about harmful foods i.e, processed food which is everything from Mars bars to Pepsi, high sugar cereals aimed at kids and a whole lot more. Processed food is highly addictive and marketed everywhere, usually as good time fun snack or energy boost and kids are a prime target. Young adults pictured drinking and eating nothing but glucose and everyone is healthy, slim looking and happy. How many times do we see a sports star's measure of success being used to sell some sugar loaded drink, cereal or whatever it may be? Small kids being lured to bug their parents because of toys in cereal boxes etc. It's disgusting imo, but the deceit rolls on.

Reactions: VMK

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is part of the reason for the unrelenting surge in obesity and T2DM, the other part is or at least one part is people's inability to stop eating garbage and not knowing any better about harmful foods i.e, processed food which is everything from Mars bars to Pepsi, high sugar cereals aimed at kids and a whole lot more. Processed food is highly addictive and marketed everywhere, usually as good time fun snack or energy boost and kids are a prime target. Young adults pictured drinking and eating nothing but glucose and everyone is healthy, slim looking and happy. How many times do we see a sports star's measure of success being used to sell some sugar loaded drink, cereal or whatever it may be? Small kids being lured to bug their parents because of toys in cereal boxes etc. It's disgusting imo, but the deceit rolls on.
look at any news footage from the sixties and seventies .. nearly everyone was slim no obesity ,when i left school in 1972 i had been used to three meals a day and the occasional treat of boiled sweets ..got my first wages and it was about the time canned carbonated drinks and walkers crisps became the norm ,,pasties and pies mars bars etc. all available from the works canteen on site then maccy dees, kentucky, pizzas chinese takeaways and processed ready meals..slowly but surely we were sucked into it..as you say garbage...

Reactions: VMK and geefull

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Totally agree

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I think I might struggle to up my intake to 6/8 glasses a day. But I'll give it a shot...

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
And the Daily Mail today in its wellness pull out written by two doctors suggested T2's should eat grains and whole meal bread, it went straight into the recycling!:banghead:

Reactions: VMK and jjraak

Valsal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 35593View attachment 35593

It took this forum to steer me away from the advice currently being given to diabetics by the NHS. Attached is from page 6 of the booklet I received...........

I'm confused... Been told to cut right down on starch carbs like potatoes, bread, pasta!!! I'm losing weight as a result. Weight that I really, really could do without losing.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I'm confused... Been told to cut right down on starch carbs like potatoes, bread, pasta!!! I'm losing weight as a result. Weight that I really, really could do without losing.
You obviously had a sensible doctor/dietitian then. LCHF is the way to go but if you're still losing weigh and don't need or want to perhaps upping your carbs a tad would get you on a even keel. How many carbs are you having a day? I have between 50 and 80 and am still losing weight three years on from diagnosis and as I've still got more to lose I'm happy with that and so is my GP. But I would imagine that I would tweak the carbs when I got down to a healthy weight again. I could be wrong but that as I reduced carbs when I joined the club and started losing weight it sounds reasonable to tweak when you get to where you want to be. Obviously everyone is different and reacts to carbs in individual ways and what works for one wouldn't necessarily work for someone else. Hope I haven't confused you.