Too much protein?

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a visit to the medical centre's dietician today. Although she was almost okay with my low carb diet, despite it being contrary to the party line, she warned me against eating too much protein. I have read that as long as your body is working okay, BG fine, kidneys fine then you should have no problems burning it off or losing it as natural waste.
Appreciate anybody else's views on this.

Ken

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree with you Ken. I can find no scientific evidence of damage to healthy kidneys from eating increased quantities of protein.
After nearly 9 years on a low carb diet, my kidneys still seem to be getting better, not worse.

fergus

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Ken,

I never heard of a doctor telling a "normal over eater" that the amount of protein they consume is injurious to their kidneys. It only comes up in lo-carb discussions. There are many more people out there eating lots more protein than your average lo-carber!. Apparently this story comes from a manipulation of the advice that protein requires significantly more effort to break down by the kidneys than other types, hence if your kidneys are damaged, then eating a lot of protein is not advised to protect the kidneys from exertion whilst they are struggling to function. A bit like saying that strenuous exercise is good for a healthy heart but not recommended for a failing heart.
:?

Steve.

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks folks. It was nice to hear you have been low carbing for nine years and it works. Only five months for me but it has made such a difference.
Thanks again for the advice.

Ken

GeordieBoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is fairly well recognised that the Atkins diet (tends to be high protein, high fat and low-carb) has a risk of ketosis which is a build up of ketones in your system and there is some evidence of impact on the kidneys. It is generally a risk associated with prolonged diet as oppose to a short term, quick weight loss approach. BTW, you often have bad breath with this type of diet too :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
That's why you're advised to drink at least 2 litres of water every day to keep the system flushed out and to prevent just such a build-up. I've never had a problem, and I stayed on Induction for 16 months, first time around. That was in 2004/05. I was having regular checks then because my GP was supervising me, with great interest! Of course, I have them routinely now!

Viv 8)