Carnivore Corner

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I see so many familiar names! Nice to see people here!
I haven’t read all this thread of course but wanted to ask a question. I’ve been cv of beef only for just over a year and I’m wondering what people are eating in protein grams and able to control their bs. Is there a tipping point when it’s more than your personal threshold?
And do you have any idea your fat to protein ratio? My fat ratio is way down from lc and my protein is way up.

Thanks and good to see you!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t read all this thread of course but wanted to ask a question. I’ve been cv of beef only for just over a year and I’m wondering what people are eating in protein grams and able to control their bs. Is there a tipping point when it’s more than your personal threshold?
And do you have any idea your fat to protein ratio? My fat ratio is way down from lc and my protein is way up.

Hi Kristin

I recognise your name, but don’t think we’ve chatted before. I’m about 90% carnivore - just can’t ditch nuts or dark chocolate.

I find that my BG pretty much flatlines on carnivore and while excess protein might cause a temporary small blip, it’s certainly not been detrimental to BG control. My daily average intake of protein is usually in the 85g - 110g range. Usually fat is 75% of food intake, carbs below 5% (depends on cream and nut intake) and the rest protein.

Reactions: Kristin251

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hey, how are you?!? :D
I do best on carni keto.
Too much protein and I end up feeling pretty meh.
So I try and keep the protein to around the same as @Goonergal (though I don’t measure it daily).
Recently this has been in 2 meals.
Then I top up to satiety with fat. Butter, cream, meat fat.

Beef only would be unbearably boring for me. :D I eat various fish, poultry, meats, cheeses...

Those online carnivores who eat pounds and pounds of beef a day have very different digestive tracts and taste buds from me!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kristin

I recognise your name, but don’t think we’ve chatted before. I’m about 90% carnivore - just can’t ditch nuts or dark chocolate.

I find that my BG pretty much flatlines on carnivore and while excess protein might cause a temporary small blip, it’s certainly not been detrimental to BG control. My daily average intake of protein is usually in the 85g - 110g range. Usually fat is 75% of food intake, carbs below 5% (depends on cream and nut intake) and the rest protein.
I can’t eat all the fat I ate when keto. I’m just eating 3/4# of beef a day with no additional fat. I’ve lowered my fat from keto a bunch but upped my protein a bunch. About 75-90 g. I was eating under 40 on keto as protein always spiked me but now I have my insulin routine down to a science with just beef.
I feel SO much better without all those nasty veg (lol) avocado ( I was the avocado queen on here) and veg oils. I can’t even begin to explain the health benefits I have seen! Hubs inadvertently ended up on beef only too. Makes shopping and meal planning so easy. I very happy I decided to do the 30 day elimination challenge and now it’s over a year. Amazing.
Are you feeling good? What are you eating ?

Reactions: Goonergal

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, how are you?!? :D
I do best on carni keto.
Too much protein and I end up feeling pretty meh.
So I try and keep the protein to around the same as @Goonergal (though I don’t measure it daily).
Recently this has been in 2 meals.
Then I top up to satiety with fat. Butter, cream, meat fat.

Beef only would be unbearably boring for me. :D I eat various fish, poultry, meats, cheeses...

Those online carnivores who eat pounds and pounds of beef a day have very different digestive tracts and taste buds from me!
I NEVER in a million years thought I could just eat beef. I LOVE IT. Raw ground, burgers, thin shaved rare cold steak. So simple.
Yeah, those people pounding pounds of meat are asking for trouble down the road. We certainly don’t need that much protein! I eat 3/4- 1# max a day. It’s all I need and heaps more than when I was keto. I can’t handle lots of fat. Especially hot rendered liquid fats. Bogs me down. Much better with cold hard fat like my raw ground and shaved steaks with the outer gristle cut off. Even butter can be too much. Lol
My health is so much better eliminating all the other stuff I was eating. I still have a little chopped onion on my raw ground and some grapes in my wine / Prosecco glass but that s about it. Do t tell the cv police!
Nice to hear from you!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t eat all the fat I ate when keto. I’m just eating 3/4# of beef a day with no additional fat. I’ve lowered my fat from keto a bunch but upped my protein a bunch. About 75-90 g. I was eating under 40 on keto as protein always spiked me but now I have my insulin routine down to a science with just beef.
I feel SO much better without all those nasty veg (lol) avocado ( I was the avocado queen on here) and veg oils. I can’t even begin to explain the health benefits I have seen! Hubs inadvertently ended up on beef only too. Makes shopping and meal planning so easy. I very happy I decided to do the 30 day elimination challenge and now it’s over a year. Amazing.
Are you feeling good? What are you eating ?

I do remember your avocado eating! I feel great - was already doing well on keto, but although I like veg, it makes me a bit bloated. An extra burst of energy on carnivore too. I eat mostly meat - lamb, beef and chicken, with a bit of pork (and a lot of bacon). Some fish, but less of that these days - not so filling. Eggs, cheese, cream, butter. Oh and the odd bit of onion. I love onions. Then I still go for nuts and 85%+ chocolate. And nut butter. Try to limit the latter three as they’re all trigger foods.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do remember your avocado eating! I feel great - was already doing well on keto, but although I like veg, it makes me a bit bloated. An extra burst of energy on carnivore too. I eat mostly meat - lamb, beef and chicken, with a bit of pork (and a lot of bacon). Some fish, but less of that these days - not so filling. Eggs, cheese, cream, butter. Oh and the odd bit of onion. I love onions. Then I still go for nuts and 85%+ chocolate. And nut butter. Try to limit the latter three as they’re all trigger foods.
Yup, cv stepped it up and beef only stepped it up again. No pork dairy eggs or fish. Tho I haven’t tried them in a year! Not so enchanting now tho I loved them.
Dairy is like crack to me. ( not that I really know what that is lol). One bite and I can’t stop and I become insulin resistant for days. Chocolate and nuts were triggers for me too. I’m afraid of nuts now lol. Too many antinutrients and oxylates for me. Past kidney stones. Chocolate I will taste but not eat. If I have more than I bite I’m looking for coffee cheese nuts and wine. Lol.
Onion bits take my raw beef to a whole nether level. So does raw actually. I feel much better with raw ( not steak, steak needs to be rare) ground beef than even rare burgers. Something with the liquid rendered fat.

Nice to chat with you !

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, cv stepped it up and beef only stepped it up again. No pork dairy eggs or fish. Tho I haven’t tried them in a year! Not so enchanting now tho I loved them.
Dairy is like crack to me. ( not that I really know what that is lol). One bite and I can’t stop and I become insulin resistant for days. Chocolate and nuts were triggers for me too. I’m afraid of nuts now lol. Too many antinutrients and oxylates for me. Past kidney stones. Chocolate I will taste but not eat. If I have more than I bite I’m looking for coffee cheese nuts and wine. Lol.
Onion bits take my raw beef to a whole nether level. So does raw actually. I feel much better with raw ( not steak, steak needs to be rare) ground beef than even rare burgers. Something with the liquid rendered fat.

Nice to chat with you !

Wow from the avocado queen to a semi raw carnivore.. awesome. What turned you on to the beef only?
I did it for January and may well end up doing it again soon.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow from the avocado queen to a semi raw carnivore.. awesome. What turned you on to the beef only?
Hi @bulkbiker !
I did it for January and may well end up doing it again soon.
Hi @bulkbiker!
I was so sick of the food drama! My stomach stunk and my health was declining. There was always the mystery of what caused what reactions/ symptoms. I was in a keto fb group and met a lady who gentLay persuaded me to try cv for 30 days and highly recommended just beef. So I gave up the 20 or less carbs per day and olive oil. The first two weeks I had a variety of meats. Soon to find chicken tuna salmon and duck needed to go. I had already let go of eggs dairy and pork ( inflamed me ) so went to just beef and turned a huge corner with my health. Lost 5#’s in the first 6 days that was a bit scary as I didn’t want to lose weight. 10#’s the first month but it stopped there. It was all inflammation in my gut and joints. Within 3 days I has ZERO bloating, zero aches and my allergy symptoms were 90% better. Here I am one year in. Amazing actually. Never thought I would not only do this but thrive on it. So many positive changes. Even things I did t realize like moles, freckles, age spots either falling / disappearing off or fading. No brain fog, no fatigue, no nothing. My husband started just eating beef for meat a few months after me. Not on my prodding, I think he got jealous of all the beef I was bringing home. He’s always been a burger man. He still ate an apple broccoli and green beans. Ditched the green veg at the beginning of summer and now the apples gone. Lol. Makes shopping pretty easy! He feels better too. We are both much calmer, less stressed, not anxious, do t get frustrate. Just peaceful.
The best part is after I figured out my insulin for beef I rarely get any surprises. It’s one food. The same one food. I still have variety. I grind my own beef at home from brisket, chuck and rump for burgers or to eat raw. They all have different flavors and textures and fat content. I eat strips, ribeye and tenderloin. Rare cold and shaved most often. The simplicity of it all is unbelievably easy.

How did you do in January? Why did you stop?

M

Member496333

I’m considering doing next month solely on heart and liver. Just an experiment, really. Trouble is I’m addicted to duck eggs so that might be tricky :nailbiting:

Offal October. Offaltober? :shifty:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bulkbiker!
I was so sick of the food drama! My stomach stunk and my health was declining. There was always the mystery of what caused what reactions/ symptoms. I was in a keto fb group and met a lady who gentLay persuaded me to try cv for 30 days and highly recommended just beef. So I gave up the 20 or less carbs per day and olive oil. The first two weeks I had a variety of meats. Soon to find chicken tuna salmon and duck needed to go. I had already let go of eggs dairy and pork ( inflamed me ) so went to just beef and turned a huge corner with my health. Lost 5#’s in the first 6 days that was a bit scary as I didn’t want to lose weight. 10#’s the first month but it stopped there. It was all inflammation in my gut and joints. Within 3 days I has ZERO bloating, zero aches and my allergy symptoms were 90% better. Here I am one year in. Amazing actually. Never thought I would not only do this but thrive on it. So many positive changes. Even things I did t realize like moles, freckles, age spots either falling / disappearing off or fading. No brain fog, no fatigue, no nothing. My husband started just eating beef for meat a few months after me. Not on my prodding, I think he got jealous of all the beef I was bringing home. He’s always been a burger man. He still ate an apple broccoli and green beans. Ditched the green veg at the beginning of summer and now the apples gone. Lol. Makes shopping pretty easy! He feels better too. We are both much calmer, less stressed, not anxious, do t get frustrate. Just peaceful.
The best part is after I figured out my insulin for beef I rarely get any surprises. It’s one food. The same one food. I still have variety. I grind my own beef at home from brisket, chuck and rump for burgers or to eat raw. They all have different flavors and textures and fat content. I eat strips, ribeye and tenderloin. Rare cold and shaved most often. The simplicity of it all is unbelievably easy.

How did you do in January? Why did you stop?

I didn't stop the carnivore just the beef only part..but I think I may do another month to see if it gets the last pounds that I want to lose off.. I have just crept over 200 pounds again after a bit of slipping with frozen raspberries and 85% choc.. (bad I know) so need to knuckle down and see if 180 pounds is actually achievable for me.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m considering doing next month solely on heart and liver. Just an experiment, really. Trouble is I’m addicted to duck eggs so that might be tricky :nailbiting:

Offal October. Offaltober? :shifty:
I’ve read many times to not over eat organs. Have you researched it?
Part of the reason I went to just beef was a histamine issue. Organs are very high histamine so I haven’t ventured there. Tried the ancestral kidney caps but didn’t work
Good luck! I’ll jus tear my burger! Do you like raw beef? I love it and love how it makes me feel ,

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't stop the carnivore just the beef only part..but I think I may do another month to see if it gets the last pounds that I want to lose off.. I have just crept over 200 pounds again after a bit of slipping with frozen raspberries and 85% choc.. (bad I know) so need to knuckle down and see if 180 pounds is actually achievable for me.
I have to keep ,y protein moderate. Not eat all the meat you want mantra. If I over eat it I become a sugar burner and will gain. I also don’t tolerate a lot of rendered fat so keeps things easy for me.
We all have our slips!
Did you lose when you just ate beef? I found other meats inflamed me and I’d gain.

M

Member496333

I’ve read many times to not over eat organs. Have you researched it?
Part of the reason I went to just beef was a histamine issue. Organs are very high histamine so I haven’t ventured there. Tried the ancestral kidney caps but didn’t work
Good luck! I’ll jus tear my burger! Do you like raw beef? I love it and love how it makes me feel ,

No that's not something that's previously been brought to my attention. Currently I get through about 500g of liver per week and maybe the same in lamb hearts. Makes me feel amazing so I'll stick with it for now. The rest is beef, fish, pork, eggs, dairy etc. About as varied as possible whilst still avoiding plants.

Yes I love raw salted beef. Tastes amazing and melts in the mouth. Sometimes raw liver, which makes me feel like a freakin' superhero.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to keep ,y protein moderate. Not eat all the meat you want mantra. If I over eat it I become a sugar burner and will gain. I also don’t tolerate a lot of rendered fat so keeps things easy for me.
We all have our slips!
Did you lose when you just ate beef? I found other meats inflamed me and I’d gain.

7 pounds down in January from 209-202 they slowly climbed back on.. tightened up to strict meat only in July went from 206 to lowest 198. this morning 200.6 ..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No that's not something that's previously been brought to my attention. Currently I get through about 500g of liver per week and maybe the same in lamb hearts. Makes me feel amazing so I'll stick with it for now. The rest is beef, fish, pork, eggs, dairy etc. About as varied as possible whilst still avoiding plants.

Yes I love raw salted beef. Tastes amazing and melts in the mouth. Sometimes raw liver, which makes me feel like a freakin' superhero.
Sounds like you’re getting lots of offal there can be such a thing as too much.
I eat raw ground everyday all day. The only real plant I allow is onion bits on it. Takes it to a whole new level. For some reason I don’t like raw steak. I just broil it super rare. Two min per side. Then I chill it, shave it and eat it cold. Life could be worse lol

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
7 pounds down in January from 209-202 they slowly climbed back on.. tightened up to strict meat only in July went from 206 to lowest 198. this morning 200.6 ..
What were you eating that wasn’t strict meat ? And how much protein are/ were you eating? If imo er eat my beef I become a sugar burner and would never lose weight. Tho I don’t need to but if I eat over my tolerance I gain and it’s all in my gut telling me I’m not utilizing it but rather storing it

M

Member496333

Sounds like you’re getting lots of offal there can be such a thing as too much.

Perhaps. Right now it feels right for me though. I listen to my body and eat what I crave. So far this approach is working for me, but so long as plants aren’t included, I’m not dogmatic and will often change things around a little. Some weeks I eat more offal, some weeks I eat more muscle. On balance I feel like I’m getting everything I need and nothing I don’t :D

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps. Right now it feels right for me though. I listen to my body and eat what I crave. So far this approach is working for me, but so long as plants aren’t included, I’m not dogmatic and will often change things around a little. Some weeks I eat more offal, some weeks I eat more muscle. On balance I feel like I’m getting everything I need and nothing I don’t :D
That’s perfect. I didn’t mean stop eating it I just meant maybe not eating it exclusively.
Happy to hear you’re feeling great! That’s the name of the game !

M

Member496333

That’s perfect. I didn’t mean stop eating it I just meant maybe not eating it exclusively.
Happy to hear you’re feeling great! That’s the name of the game !

For sure. Exclusive offal would only be for a month to see if I grow horns. No way am I giving up all the other glorious animal foods that I enjoy and keep me healthy. I do actually sometimes ponder quitting dairy, but cheese is my crack cocaine and I love double cream in my coffee, so that may be a bridge too far.