I'm back

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
I was last on here about 3 years ago. Still T2 but not doing so good lately. My meds have gone up over the years but lately I can't get my blood results to improve. Seeing my GP next week.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome back Maeve, do you have any particular questions we might be able to help you with prior to your appt?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back. Sorry to hear you're not doing so well. What meds are you on? Are you following a low carb diet or trying another approach.

It's hard as it is a lifelong condition but I'm sure you will get help and support here.

Do you regularly check your blood sugar levels? What are they at the moment?

Sorry that you are finding it tough- Let us know how we can best support you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome back. Have you thought about possibly being LADA and not T2? Assuming you are having a low-carb diet and not overweight then this is always possible as it was for me. My honeymoon period was around 10 years.

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Welcome back. Sorry to hear you're not doing so well. What meds are you on? Are you following a low carb diet or trying another approach.

It's hard as it is a lifelong condition but I'm sure you will get help and support here.

Do you regularly check your blood sugar levels? What are they at the moment?

Sorry that you are finding it tough- Let us know how we can best support you.
Hi. I'm trying to get to grips with replying to posts etc on here lol. I try to stick to low carb diet but not easy as atm I have a busy and stressful life. The meds I'm on per day now are: 1Gliclazide 30m. 1 Sitagliptin 100mg. 2 Metformin 500mg. Been on this for 3 yrs but for past 6 months my readings are high. Eg 10 or 9 in morning fasting. Even going really hungry they don't go below 8. Seeing Dr next week. I'm thinking stress might be a factor. Sorry for long text. PS. At last clinic in March my BP, cholesterol and blood were very high. This is the follow up appt.

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Hi and welcome back. Have you thought about possibly being LADA and not T2? Assuming you are having a low-carb diet and not overweight then this is always possible as it was for me. My honeymoon period was around 10 years.
Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm certainly not overweight - quite the opposite lol. Have always been slim and battle to retain weight. Need carbs to help with this so that's probably the culprit.

Reemap

Hello,

Welcome back to the forum and as you are the old member you will be surely knowing the support you get from this forum. Have you tried cauliflower rice? But as you are on meds, you can go hypo with that as it’s extremelly low in carbs. I would say all the best for your appointment with doctor and hope to hear from you soon on the result.

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
I must try the cauliflower rice. Is the recipe on here somewhere? Still finding my way about lol. Will be back for follow up after my appt next week. Thank you. X

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must try the cauliflower rice. Is the recipe on here somewhere? Still finding my way about lol. Will be back for follow up after my appt next week. Thank you. X

Cauliflower rice is very easy. Just grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or blitz it in a food processor, then stir fry it in a frying pan til it starts to brown slightly. You can add, salt and pepper or herbs and spices to taste :hungry:

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Cauliflower rice is very easy. Just grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or blitz it in a food processor, then stir fry it in a frying pan til it starts to brown slightly. You can add, salt and pepper or herbs and spices to taste :hungry:

Sounds tasty - and easy - my kind of food.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm certainly not overweight - quite the opposite lol. Have always been slim and battle to retain weight. Need carbs to help with this so that's probably the culprit.
Hi again. Try to have fats and proteins where you can rather than carbs to help keep the weight up. You are on exactly the same meds I was on before I went on to insulin. As you have always been slim I would encourage you to follow-up on LADA being a possibility and have the two tests, GAD and C-Peptide, to see whether you have failing beta cells. The body will try to burn fat if it hasn't enough insulin to handle the carbs and this can cause weight loss.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I'm now confused about the difference between LADA (which I assume is auto immune like standard T1) and worsening T2 due to a slowly failing pancreas.

Prompted by the 10 year honeymoon period.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Does that mean you were misdiagnosed for 10 years? How high did your blood sugar go before you were properly diagnosed?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

How did your doctor's appointment go?

If you like the idea of cauliflower rice you can also have cauliflower mash. My husband also makes me cauliflower and broccoli mash with cheese. It is delicious. He tends to make up a few portions and stores them in the fridge. I'm pretty sure they could be frozen also. They make the dinner very easy as I tend to have a steak or some fish with the mash.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds tasty - and easy - my kind of food.

Hi Maeve, I get my cauli rice frozen from Iceland four individual bags for a quid, four minutes and ping (literally), I'm sure the fresh way is tastier but my way is less washing up. Good luck kiddo.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I was last on here about 3 years ago. Still T2 but not doing so good lately. My meds have gone up over the years but lately I can't get my blood results to improve. Seeing my GP next week.
Welcome back.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Maeve - I'm a slight person, so have to watch my weight, for downward trends.

If I find myself losing weight, I tend to make a concerted effort to add a little more protein (just a slightly bigger portion - nothing dramatic), and if that isn't enough to stop the slippage, then I'll add more fat.

In adding fat, it might just be something as simple as stirring some cream into my breakfast yoghurt (not too much as I don't really care for things too creamy early in the day), or adding some sour cream to the liquid elements of a casserole, stew or curry. Again, it doesn't have to be a lot, as double cream or sour cream can be quite heavily colloric, without adding the carbs.

If I lose weight, it can take me a while to gain it back - about a month per kilo, trying hard.

I'm not necessarily saying that's the answer for you, but maybe saying to you that if you enjoy the LC lifestyle, thre could be options that don't appear to force you to add carbs.

That said, if your numbers climb and climb, it could be good to ask your Doc for some tests to assess how your body is performing.