Any Londoners out there?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found out I will be going in a few month. Business trip, I’m the entertainer not entertained, so I will have little choice in restaurants. Level with me...will I be pushing food around my plate, drinking ale, and eating nuts and power bars in the hotel after :) I kid, hoping there is some good vegetarian food to be had?

Company is on Lime Street in the financial district (think Lloyd’s of London :) ) not sure about hotel yet, but I think I heard Trafalgar Square kicked around. Any tips? Any restaurant suggestions?

Last edited:

CatManRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I could be over critical, but there's little point. There's always room for improvement & I'll start with being harder on myself than anyone else could, especially a clinician, physiotherapist or kitten Russler.
Hiya,

I'm just north of central London in Hertfordshire. Most of London is a tourist trap, but it's ok for a short period if you are living on expenses!

I could probably do the guided tour thing if my 5 gingers agree to be left behind.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @CatManRob I am kind of concerned about tourist trap restaurants for dinner. Hoping those who need to eat in the business district for lunch have decent options though. I’ll load up on salad at lunch and claim “still full” for dinner if so.

5...wow. My 2 guys - brothers, litter mates, keep me entertained enough as it is.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Walking Girl London must be one of the easiest places on earth to get just about any type of food you want. Being practically carnivore, I’m not the person to be making specific vegetarian recommendations but Lime Street is just a hop and a skip (especially for someone who walks as much as you do) from Spitalfields, Brick Lane etc. A vibrant area with a combination of trendy hipsters and one of the most diverse populations in the country. You’ll find trendy veggie/vegan places and a huge array of south Asian vegetarian places all around. Even diners around there will have veggie and vegan menus.

Walking options, however, I’m your woman! Plenty of scope for long walks along the Thames from there and close enough to the start of the Regent’s Canal in Limehouse.

Editing to say if you have any say in the hotel, skip Trafalgar Square - easy to get to tourist central if you want, but very busy. I’d recommend the area around Lime Street and specifically Shoreditch/Docklands. Way, way more interesting for exploring in your free time.

Also tagging @Dr Snoddy who may be able to make specific veggie eating suggestions. She’s another walker too,

Last edited:
Reactions: Walking Girl

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Walking Girl
I work in central London. There are loads of good veggie options so when not stuck with clients try Mildred’s for homely stuff, Woodlands for Indian food.
Most decent restaurants will offer veggie if not vegan options.
How smart to places you go need to be?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Diakat . I suspect we’ll do at least one “coat and tie” for the men dinner, and that I’m actually not too concerned over. I’ve had some good and bad “chefs choice” at those places, but am always accommodated. This particular client is more casual, so I suspect most dinners will be mid-range local spots. Casual enough for jeans and a sweater, but nice enough to serve decent wine. I’ll take any recommendations you have!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
This reminds me of the original Cranks restaurant in Carnaby Street which was mainstream vegetarian before it was trendy. Sadly no longer doing restaurants since 2016.
We still have the recipe book somewhere. Cranks Bible.

So yes, plenty of choice for vegetarian/vegan dining.

Reactions: jjraak

jasholden

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Just found out I will be going in a few month. Business trip, I’m the entertainer not entertained, so I will have little choice in restaurants. Level with me...will I be pushing food around my plate, drinking ale, and eating nuts and power bars in the hotel after :) I kid, hoping there is some good vegetarian food to be had?

Company is on Lime Street in the financial district (think Lloyd’s of London :) ) not sure about hotel yet, but I think I heard Trafalgar Square kicked around. Any tips? Any restaurant suggestions?

There is a lovely Vietnamese restaurant on Caledonian Road called Sen Viet - I ate there last night and can highly recommend great food, great service, great value, great.

Reactions: ickihun

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Oh and if they did want Trafalgar Square then Thai Square faces it and has veggie options

freefrom

London is one of the most dynamic and advanced cities in the world, catering for every conceivable taste in food, shopping and entertainment.

It is nothing like the city you see in Sherlock Holmes movies so you can raise your expectations accordingly.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is Aberdeen Steakhouse still in Leicester Sq? I know not great for veg but they may do a quorn steak?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Diakat oh my, Pied a Terre in particular has me drooling. I’m sure everyone will love that menu!

Thanks to @ickihun, @jasholden and @Goonergal for the restaurant (and walking) recommendations.

@freefrom - I could have been more clear, but figured my fellow vegetarians would get me...I know London is a large, cosmopolitan city. The problem isn’t finding good vegetarian restaurants. The problem is finding restaurants that cater to non-vegetarians that also have decent veg choices - eating starter salads and side dishes makes for a tough trip, but it happens to me even in the most unexpected cities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m happy to report that every restaurant we went to in London had several wonderful vegetarian options, from traditional pub settings to the standard business lunch venues near offices. I had some truly creative options I rarely find actually, from the smokey lentil and kale stew (and a pint!) at the pub, to the creamy Jerusalem artichoke soup and frisée salad with roasted squash at lunch. Even the fast-food stand in Windsor we wandered up to had vegan sausage dogs! And of course, a coffee shop, or 2, on every corner (I thought I was in Seattle for a moment)

Yay - good food makes a business trip so much more enjoyable to me - since it basically all food, wine and lots of meetings :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbity