Places and things that are pronounced differently to their spelling

D

Deleted member 308541

Tuyere - tweer ( My first job at Mt Isa Mines smelters was a tuyere puncher)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always thought that Cirencester was pronounced with a short I sound as in irk, not a long sound I as in sigh.

I've seen different pronunciations for it in various places so I hoped someone here would know how it's really pronounced. :) Siren as on an ambulance? Sirren? Chiren? Kirren? I can't remember them all ...

Lilylala

Great Moulton ....... pronounced Great malt..on im always asked how to spell my address Its ironic as it's pronounced Malt ..on As we had a maltings in the village which had been brewing barley for hundreds of years and is rural Norfolk

Reactions: Robbity

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Nice pub I went to near Bude in - Poughill.
Puffle- I think!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Whakatane, New Zealand. You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whakatane, New Zealand. You wouldn't believe me if I told you....
Izzat a FACt?

I got message that I couldn't view the video (it claims to be private!!) so resorted to asking Mr Google. Apparently Whakatane's another of those perfectly innocent but censored words... :eek: due to Maori pronunciation.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Izzat a FACt?

I got message that I couldn't view the video (it claims to be private!!) so resorted to asking Mr Google. Apparently Whakatane's another of those perfectly innocent but censored words... :eek: due to Maori pronunciation.
In the intervening weeks, I have, in fact been to Whakatane, and a few other similar places using the Maori WH -pronounced-PH sounds. And yes it was a totally awesome holiday, thanks for asking! ;)