Intermittent Fasting and GERD / reflux

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there anyone here who has GERD (GastroEsophagal Reflux Disease) who is trying or has tried Intermittent Fasting? What effect has it had on your GERD?

I'm asking because lately I've been doing 16-17 hour fast (after dinner until noon the next day). This morning before I got out of bed, I had rolled over to my right side and then I felt the slight beginning of acid reflux. (Acid reflux is worse on the right side, I usually sleep on the left.)

I have had GERD for about 10 years. I used to take a prescription med for it (the over the counter meds don't work for me) but stopped because of the association of proton pumps with Alzheimer's. Instead, I sleep on 6" medical elevated wedge which has helped tremendously and I rarely ever have symptoms now. (I also stopped drinking alcohol and coffee, my worst triggers.) As a result, I am symptom free most of the time.

I take GERD seriously because it can lead to Barrett's esophagus (cellular changes in the esophagus) which increases the risk of esophagal cancer. (My former GI diagnosed me with Barrett's but my current GI couldn't find any in my last endoscopy.)

I got up and after testing my blood broke my fast with a breakfast of meat, cheese and a small number of almonds and black tea because I didn't want this small amount of reflux to escalate into a full blown attack.
I'm considering whether I should do 16 hour fasts on alternate days or fast during the day (although it is so much easier doing these mostly nighttime fasts.) I've been told losing weight usually improves GERD too (although it won't fix my large hiatal hernia - a gift from 2 pregnancies.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Chronicle_Cat, Interesting Question. One would expect less acid to be produced in the stomach when fasting than certainly after eating a t bone steak or three? But I guess if there is enough acid produced during fasting and insufficient control of the body's anti-reflux mechanism (such as with hiatal hernia) some reflux can occur.
Since fat slows gastric emptying I imagine eating cheese and other delightful tasting foods in above certain quantities may not help either. I feel for you - and hope you can find the best 'mix' of food/fasting etc.
Anecdotally some persons say they do better on an alkaline diet but I remain to be convinced.

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

Wonkylegs

Hi Chronical_Cat,

I’m afraid I don’t have the answer but just wanted to say as a fellow sufferer I’d be interested in the answer to this too. I also have the same problem and was doing IF for 16 hours overnight. Although I have been on a small dose PPI for a very long time. Then about 5 weeks ago I had a dreadful flare of symptoms- in fact so bad we thought it was angina! I’m now on a ridiculous amount of PPIs and Gaviscon to heal the oesophagitis the acid had caused. Seemed I’d ignored it at my peril. I’ve now started having 2 boiled eggs each morning and eating smaller meals but I’m still waiting to heal.

So I’m on this journey too, hoping that LCHF and IF will still be okay and may eventually help me.

So big hugs I feel your pain!

Wonkylegs

I should have added all this is after losing 6 stone on LCHF! And I’ve been doing 16 hours IF for about 6 months and ignoring the acid by drinking water.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Chronical_Cat,

I’m afraid I don’t have the answer but just wanted to say as a fellow sufferer I’d be interested in the answer to this too. I also have the same problem and was doing IF for 16 hours overnight. Although I have been on a small dose PPI for a very long time. Then about 5 weeks ago I had a dreadful flare of symptoms- in fact so bad we thought it was angina! I’m now on a ridiculous amount of PPIs and Gaviscon to heal the oesophagitis the acid had caused. Seemed I’d ignored it at my peril. I’ve now started having 2 boiled eggs each morning and eating smaller meals but I’m still waiting to heal.

So I’m on this journey too, hoping that LCHF and IF will still be okay and may eventually help me.

So big hugs I feel your pain!

What kind of things are you eating? Could it be an allergy reaction do you think?

Wonkylegs

I’m not sure, I’ve had ‘IBS’ a sort of non- diagnosis as a ‘neurotic woman’ docs term not mine, for about 30 years. The HH and GERD was discovered in a routine endoscopy for chronic cough. I’m keeping a food diary at the moment to see if I can find any triggers.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not sure, I’ve had ‘IBS’ a sort of non- diagnosis as a ‘neurotic woman’ docs term not mine, for about 30 years. The GH and GERD was discovered in a routine endoscopy for chronic cough. I’m keeping a good diary at the moment to see if I can find any triggers.
Amazing weight loss by the way well done!

Wonkylegs

Thank you, at 64 I spent my entire life eating HCLF and struggled with yo-yo dieting, willpower I had in droves but it always failed. This way of eating has revolutionised my health and weight. Except the GH and GERD, but I keep hoping

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We

I’ve just realised how old the original post was you can tell I’m a newbie not much point in hoping for answers on this one !
Well you hooked me in!
The original posters may not be around but some of us are.. or you could start a new one which you could tailor to your own questions?