Sweating!

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
I constantly sweat buckets!
I can be walking around and I sweat. I am type 2 and on Metformin 1500 slow release. I am still wearing very light clothes and dread autumn/winter. When I start sweating I have something to eat and a drink of water but it doesnt always help. I take forever to cool down but by this time my hair is wet and I feel awful. Any advice please!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lynnedeloo
Do you test your blood sugars, only sweating can be a sign of high blood sugars?

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lynnedeloo
Do you test your blood sugars, only sweating can be a sign of high blood sugars?
No my GP says I do not have to test because I will never have highs or lows. They do not issue any machines either.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No my GP says I do not have to test because I will never have highs or lows. They do not issue any machines either.

Sorry to question this, but how does your GP know you never have highs or lows if you don’t test?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Unfortunately the NHS rations meters for type 2s. And the HbA1c will not pick up if you are swinging between highs and lows.
If you want to monitor your blood sugar, check which foods your body likes and which cause issues, and avoid complications, then buy one?
I used mine regularly to check before and 2 hrs after meals at first, then once a week for fasting and before and after at least one meal - and after any meals with new foods or if I'd eaten out.
Without my meter I would probably not have got into remission.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m gonna echo the others if you think sugar levels are giving you symptoms then you need to see what your sugar levels are and if there’s a pattern. I’m sure others will be along to give you info on cost effective metres if it’s something your interested in.

I suffer heat intolerance, not so much from sweating, and there are some simple solutions.

On Amazon there are tons of different ‘cool towels’ that are a special fabric that you wet and wrong out thoroughly then place around your neck. They don’t make you wet but are helpful at bringing down the body temperature.

Cool pillow pads from robert dyas, or cool gel pet mat are similar things, they can be left on the pillow and feel cooler than the ambient temperature, but I keep mine in the fridge, then put it down my back in the chair, or across my body on the bed.

Because I’m quite severe I also have a ice pack cooling vest that is intended for athletes I keep the packs in the freezer and wear the vest, it keeps me nice and cool, though it’s not a cheap solution.

M

Member496333

Your doctor does not know what he/she is talking about. That is completely presposterous. The only reason they persist with this nonsense is because doing otherwise brings into question why they do not supply meters. I believe it is the single most dangerous piece of misinformation to give to any diabetic, particularly when it's very often accompanied with dangerous dietary advice. If you are able to fund it, you should purchase a meter as a matter of priority. Your doctor is clueless and does not have to live with the consequences of their ineptitude.

Sorry to come across as terse, but this **** winds me up.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was hot and sweating all the time in the beginning of my diagnosis and in the months leading up to it. It disappeared when my blood sugars were lowered to more healthy levels.
I'd advice you to buy a glucose meter as well so you can see if it's related to your blood glucose.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another that recommends getting a meter and testing your blood sugar levels, Your symptoms may or may not be related to the diabetes but without testing there is no way to say.

Many doctors do not recommend regular testing. The problem with that is that the most important person- you- has no information on which to make informed decisions. The testing tells you the effect that various food has on your levels. That means you can decide what you should or should not be eating. In my view the recommendation by doctors not to test regularly is bad advice brought about by their expectation that diabetes is a progressive illness with no hope of chan ge. And if people don't test guess what the doctors get the results they are expecting.

I think that the more infomed we are the better we can manage that. There are people on here who have put diabetes into remission for years- I aim to join that club too- regular testing is the tool I am using.

Good luck.

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your doctor does not know what he/she is talking about. That is completely presposterous. The only reason they persist with this nonsense is because doing otherwise brings into question why they do not supply meters. I believe it is the single most dangerous piece of misinformation to give to any diabetic, particularly when it's very often accompanied with dangerous dietary advice. If you are able to fund it, you should purchase a meter as a matter of priority. Your doctor is clueless and does not have to live with the consequences of their ineptitude.

Sorry to come across as terse, but this **** winds me up.

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please dont apologise! You only said the truth. My GP doesnt care about diabetes. It all revolves around money.

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m gonna echo the others if you think sugar levels are giving you symptoms then you need to see what your sugar levels are and if there’s a pattern. I’m sure others will be along to give you info on cost effective metres if it’s something your interested in.

I suffer heat intolerance, not so much from sweating, and there are some simple solutions.

On Amazon there are tons of different ‘cool towels’ that are a special fabric that you wet and wrong out thoroughly then place around your neck. They don’t make you wet but are helpful at bringing down the body temperature.

Cool pillow pads from robert dyas, or cool gel pet mat are similar things, they can be left on the pillow and feel cooler than the ambient temperature, but I keep mine in the fridge, then put it down my back in the chair, or across my body on the bed.

Because I’m quite severe I also have a ice pack cooling vest that is intended for athletes I keep the packs in the freezer and wear the vest, it keeps me nice and cool, though it’s not a cheap solution.

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the cool pillow pad. I cannot sleep on it directly but leave it between the pillows so they are cool when I turn them over.

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I need to buy a testing machine and check my bloods. When should I test? Before or after food or when I start to sweat? Thanks

M

Member496333

Think I need to buy a testing machine and check my bloods. When should I test? Before or after food or when I start to sweat? Thanks

To begin with, definitely before and after food. Or pretty much any other time that you are curious. In time you'll know when you need to test and when you don't. In short, test whenever you want to. The strips can be quite expensive though, so that can be a factor if finances are a consideration.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Testing before and 2 hours after meals will teach you what foods suit you. You are looking for the after meal reading to be no more than 2mmols/l above the before reading and in any case not to be over 8.5 (or some people prefer to use 7.8) Keep a record of your readings and what you eat so you can learn from your records.

Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing before and 2 hours after meals will help you learn to control your diabetes, testing when you start sweating would see if there’s a pattern connecting the sweating with your diabetes. If you don’t see a connection you could go back to your doctor to get the sweating looked into as a separate issue.

Reactions: Rachox