Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Veggie bowl with 5 spice seitan, gravy and avocado as a topping.

Marie 2 - I’m curious about the gravy - is it a homemade recipe and would you share if so? I can think of a few recipes I have that gravy would be nice with.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Walking Girl
Road's End Organics, they make 3 different flavors?

upload_2019-8-28_13-7-26.png
upload_2019-8-28_13-7-52.png

It's instant gravy. I use it all the time!

Here is how I make gravy.

I do routinely make my own using some flour, margarine. Heat and make a paste.
Then you slowly add plain plant milk for a white sauce or water for a gravy, letting it thicken each time you add. If it gets to thin, you have to mix water and flour separately and slowly add it in or it will get clumpy.
A can of mushrooms blended (just put the mushrooms and the water in the blender, keep some aside if you want) adds flavoring for either sauce and miso or aminos help add flavor or darken for a brown gravy.
I love adding mushrooms, I have a mushroom paste I love to add that I am out of at the moment, I do have a powder though.
Also veg boullion helps add flavor if you want. I have also used corn starch and arrowroot as thickeners, arrowroot is much trickier.

Gravy brings an extra flavor to a veggie bowl! So it helps change it up off and on.

EDIT There are a couple of companies that make a premade pourable vegan gravy in different flavors in aseptic packaging, I have found them to be pretty tasteless. I haven't tasted them for a couple of years though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walking Girl

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: yogurt and strawberries
L: salad off the salad bar at work. So, iceberg and some limp veggies. (My manager was in town for the first time in 6 months, so I’ll suffer the terrible cafeteria at work for a chance to bend his ear face 2 face)
D: out with friends. Roasted cauliflower tacos with slaw, cilantro and comeback sauce (it’s a Southern U.S. thing). 1 glasss wine

Last edited:

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Marie 2

Thanks! Sound like it’s right up my alley - some custom additions but not all day in the kitchen. I’m a big fan of dry frying mushrooms in my cast iron skillet until they are a lovely brown. Bet those would be great with the gravy!

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds good! I have never dry fried mushrooms!

I always fry them in margarine or oil and when I was younger red wine or burgundy added was pretty good. I love sliced fresh mushrooms marinated a few hours in Italian Dressing.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Breakfast was warm ciabatta and hot h/m seitan bacon with plenty of black coffee to bring us round after our somewhat interrupted night.

Lunch - son had a bacon sandwich (husband kindly prepared it - don't think I could have touched it), husband had cheese and biscuits and I had a mixed salad, sweet 'n smoky sauce (stolen from the marinading seitan steak), and a few cashews with a large handful of juicy edamame beans mixed in.

Yesterday was very odd. I had the normal scrambled tofu, h/m bacon and cherry toms for b/fast and then had cauliflower & coconut dahl with caramella tomatoes for lunch. Came home late from the hospital and was tired so grabbed a ready meal - coconut dahl with roasted tofu (I chucked some M&S "Not Chikn chunks" in to give it a bit more ooomph). Then I had a bar of dark chocolate :(
I want to eat everything you post. You have style @WuTwo Missing you. Hope you and your family are ok. Worried prayers.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Broccoli over cauliflower rice with melted Daiya cheese and Braggs aminos spritzed over the top. With sliced marinated seitan on the side.

Reactions: Guna108

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Veggie bowl with seitan and parmegan
vegan cinnamon roll
Snacks
Guacamole and tortilla chips
Watermelon

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: chia seed pudding with peanut butter and 3/4 large banana. I’ve been avoiding bananas worried about “the spike”. It tasted awesome. 130 (7.2) at the peak. Yay.
L: big salad with romaine, 1/3 cup quinoa, toasted almond, salt cured olives, sun dried tomatoes, cucumber and avocado.
S: 2/3 cup oatmeal made with almond milk, the rest of the banana before leg day at the gym.
D: Gafell pasta (soybean) with kale pesto, pine nuts and plenty of blistered cherry tomatoes. Carrots with hummus.

Reactions: Guna108 and Marie 2

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Traveling and for some weird reason not prepared. I’m an utter mess today, capped off by a client who wanted to eat at Red Lobster. Really? <end whining rant>

B: almond milk latte.
L: starving, small bag of nuts in my purse. Almost missed flight due to hang up in security.
D: 2 glasses of white wine, 1 side salad with massive globs of dressing. If ever forced to eat at Red Lobster “dressing on the side” is a phrase you need to remember. Side of broccoli and limp asparagus. Ick.

:(

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My food has recently been bad as I have been busy so fasting this morning and then ... no idea! Must be more organised in coming days.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The fast the other day ended up lasting all day as I wasn’t that hungry- then had Wasabi’s vegan sushi for dinner.
So far today I have had tea and a flatbread with soft French cheese.
Not sure when/what lunch will be as have to get daughter to a dance class around lunchtime.
Dinner- got some tofu that needs eating and there is Thai curry paste in the cupboard so curry seems likely.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I had one of the new Morning Star Vegan Burgers with all the fixings. They are supposed to rival the Impossible Burger. Since I haven’t tasted the Impossible Burger yet I have no idea.

They seemed like they had a more definite beef flavor although not strong, which is good as I’m not sure I would have liked that. But I can’t tell if they are truly similar as I haven’t had meat for over 50 years, so maybe not a good judge.

But I like the Beyond Meat.Burgers better.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: chia seed pudding with peanut butter and blueberries. Almond milk latte.
L: salad with Panera ff poppy seed dressing, avocados, a sprinkle of dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and quinoa
S: olives
D: broccoli cheese soup, stone ground crackers. Strawberries. It’s not yet getting cold, but I had a soup craving anyway.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
L Pineapple, A Salad and Beyond Meat sausages.
D A small bowl of mixed veggies
And lots and lots of pineapple all day long. Lol, it was a particularly good one and I think I was aiming to finish the whole pineapple in a day and managed to save some for the next day.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Missed breakfast as went to temple.
Lunch- soup made from a vegetable stock cube , 2 bran crispbreads and cheese triangle
Dinner- steamed kale, brocolli and paneer . Some raspberries and cream.
I came off the Newcastle diet shakes and am now on low carb , but fairly low calorie (well, except for my treat of dessert tonight) :)
I tried a stir fry with Oumph last night and really didn't like the texture. Last week, I made chana masala using lupini beans instead of chickpeas and cauliflower rice instead of basmati and it turned out well and didn't raise my bg very much.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is cheese spread in a foil covered triangle shape.
cheese-dairy-lee.jpg
Ah, we have them here as well! I like them but forgot about them. They're very convenient to take with you, and they taste of wonderful camping trips as a child as well :)