Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From the experinced feedback from folk of advanced years. They tell me it's easier to climb up into a vehicle & step down getting out.
Than struggle sitting closer to the ground in a sports vehicle..?.
Driving behind Porsches, they are indeed quite a low seated vehicle. I don't know about taller people, I know I wouldn't struggle. :hilarious:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was discussing with my bf about infusion sites and I feel there isn't much room. I have a few areas that feel hard under the skin when a needle pierces it, like a 5 second "oucccccccccccch". Thighs are too thick for insulin absorption, I save that for my dear exclusive friend, Tresiba. Everywhere else other than stomach and midriff, would be my arms and some meaty areas around my back. But I sleep on my back, so is an infusion site comfy on the lower back?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski you won’t need your dear friend tresiba with a pump. It’s fast acting all the time with a pump.
But tresiba will still be your friend. As a backup. So make sure he’s still in date waiting for you in the fridge.
As for where to put your cannula, I found there was a bit of trial and error to find the ideal sites (you definitely need a few to avoid Lipo-wotsit). I found it depends a bit on what I am wearing: spare tyre is pretty good unless I am wearing higher waisted troos.
And don’t forget you can put your cannula above your waist. With a tubey pump, you have more options because the cannula is pretty flat.
Lipo wotsit does sound very attractive tbh. :hilarious: I will make sure tresiba still loves me while it waits in the fridge. Oh, I love highwaisted trousers, jeans and leggings. :arghh::arghh: We'll see how it goes in a couple of weeks, months or years. How is it on the arms? I know the tubing can be quite long, but it is restricting arm movement?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski i never tried mine on my arms because I use them too much especially when climbing. I know others do and the tubing shouldn’t be too bad if you can thread it through your clothing. I guess it your bra is large enough, you could hide your pump in with your ... ummm... puppies.
I tried this but needed a larger bra and “chicken fillets” to pad out the other side. At least I had a cleavage for a change.
Too much information?

Oh no, I can relate but I call them gnat bites ;)
Sounds like trying to thread internet cable around this house.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess it your bra is large enough, you could hide your pump in with your ... ummm... puppies.

As explained in a recent post, I obviously don't like bra's or the things residing in them (at least not when they're mine), but I'd happily wear my bra every day if I there was a pair of puppies in there! That's about the snuggliest thing imaginable!

Now I did have a white rat who went everywhere with me before I had the dogs. Usually it sat on my shoulder or in my sleeve, but when walking or riding a bike it preferred sitting securely under the left-hand strap on the front of my bra. I suppose the strap saved her from having to hold on all the time :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thighs are too thick for insulin absorption
Mine are beyond chunky and my pump works there just fine.

Interesting day, we were doing some community first responder stuff at our local Pride, just raising awareness of what we do. Covered in all the rainbows, we had a call to a cardiac arrest (my very first) a few miles away, so had to de-rainbow in the car on the way, feeling grateful we hadn’t taken up the offer of glittery face paint. Sadly our patient passed away, we worked on him for over half an hour. Bit of a bg spike, but back down to 6.1 now. Yeah. Bit of feels to process this evening...

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Interesting day, we were doing some community first responder stuff at our local Pride, just raising awareness of what we do. Covered in all the rainbows, we had a call to a cardiac arrest (my very first) a few miles away, so had to de-rainbow in the car on the way, feeling grateful we hadn’t taken up the offer of glittery face paint. Sadly our patient passed away, we worked on him for over half an hour. Bit of a bg spike, but back down to 6.1 now. Yeah. Bit of feels to process this evening...

Oh I’m so sorry to hear :( are you okay though?
I guess your thighs are top quality thighs for insulin absorption;)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys, I’m pretty sure he had died before we even got there, he had been on the floor for a while before he was found. Everything that could be done for him, was - we can’t save everyone after all. Just processing it all now!

And yes, I have top quality thighs ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh Mel. That's a toughie, for sure. It must be hard to accept it's not possible to save everyone.

Thanks for trying. I'm sure that will have been very important to his/her loved ones.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

You're certainly being through in the deep end. Wow. I guess it's all part of the job. You're incredible strong.

Reactions: porl69 and Antje77

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Managed to place my latest Libre sensor on the top of my arm instead of the inside. How is that even possible?

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
IMG_0665.jpg

She’s here tackling another small stick

She’s ambitious bless her