Looking for some advise/reassurance/honest opinions!

jsmith8196

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes!!
I am desperate to start trying to conceive!! I have been attending my pre pregnancy clinic for about a year now. And in that year I have been given a libre and this week am getting a pump, so clearly ALOT of progress has happened in that time. But i seriously dont want to wait any longer! I have managed to get my sugars to a 'good' range - still not perfect but soooo much better than they were. I was having multiple hypo's a day - now barely have one a day. And I've managed to stop the high spikes (have cut carbs down to a maximum of 20g breakfast, 40g lunch and 60g tea - I am following slimming world to get to healthy BMI prior to falling pregnant, therefore was living off pasta and rice, which in turn was causing the high sugar levels) anyway.. basically I am trying to say, would it be seriously irresponsible of me to stop taking my pill now that I am having my pump fitted? I obviously dont want to put myself or the baby at any risks but I can't help bit think that so many people have fallen pregnant in a much worse state, health wise, than myself and have had no issues at all?! Am I being too cautious? Am I being really stupid even thinking this?

Sorry for the long rant

Reactions: bekkithedevil

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi what's your HBAC1 like at the moment ?if you've got it as close to target as you can and your taking folic acid I don't see why you shouldn't start trying when your ready to.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am desperate to start trying to conceive!! I have been attending my pre pregnancy clinic for about a year now. And in that year I have been given a libre and this week am getting a pump, so clearly ALOT of progress has happened in that time. But i seriously dont want to wait any longer! I have managed to get my sugars to a 'good' range - still not perfect but soooo much better than they were. I was having multiple hypo's a day - now barely have one a day. And I've managed to stop the high spikes (have cut carbs down to a maximum of 20g breakfast, 40g lunch and 60g tea - I am following slimming world to get to healthy BMI prior to falling pregnant, therefore was living off pasta and rice, which in turn was causing the high sugar levels) anyway.. basically I am trying to say, would it be seriously irresponsible of me to stop taking my pill now that I am having my pump fitted? I obviously dont want to put myself or the baby at any risks but I can't help bit think that so many people have fallen pregnant in a much worse state, health wise, than myself and have had no issues at all?! Am I being too cautious? Am I being really stupid even thinking this?

Sorry for the long rant

Hi @jsmith8196

Firstly congratulations on doing so well & taking control of the situation!
Also well done for sticking out the pre-pregnancy clinic! I was going about 4 years ago & I just couldn't take it any longer. It just seemed to be 1 unrealistic goal after another when I went to my appointments there. That plus sitting in a waiting room full of pregnant woman made me seriously depressed & give up all hope!!

I understand that feeling of not wanting to wait any longer & I 100% agree with @jenni34
If your HBA1C is in a good range & your on your FA, you should be able to start when you are ready!

I hate the idea that we need someone's permission to do something as important as starting our own family.

Good luck xx

Reactions: jsmith8196

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree and think that if we type 1 women waited until everything was perfect we would never have any babies!
Good luck and try and enjoy this lovely experience (IMO!_) in spite of it being somewhat medicalised!
And keep up with the good work once you are pregnant and even more importantly afterwards when it is too easy to neglect your own health.

Reactions: jsmith8196

jsmith8196

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes!!
I last had it checked 7/8/19 and it was 66.. so not perfect but not dangerously high either!
Hi what's your HBAC1 like at the moment ?if you've got it as close to target as you can and your taking folic acid I don't see why you shouldn't start trying when your ready to.

jsmith8196

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes!!
Hi @jsmith8196

Firstly congratulations on doing so well & taking control of the situation!
Also well done for sticking out the pre-pregnancy clinic! I was going about 4 years ago & I just couldn't take it any longer. It just seemed to be 1 unrealistic goal after another when I went to my appointments there. That plus sitting in a waiting room full of pregnant woman made me seriously depressed & give up all hope!!

I understand that feeling of not wanting to wait any longer & I 100% agree with @jenni34
If your HBA1C is in a good range & your on your FA, you should be able to start when you are ready!

I hate the idea that we need someone's permission to do something as important as starting our own family.

Good luck xx
Thank you for your lovely reply. Made me smile. It is quite relieving to hear someone else's views of the pre pregnancy clinic- I feel so grateful to have it provided but the last 2/3 appointments I have left disheartened because of the unrealistic expectations! I had my pump fitted today - so another item ticked off the to do list! Maybe I can stop taking my pill now

Reactions: Emj185

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your lovely reply. Made me smile. It is quite relieving to hear someone else's views of the pre pregnancy clinic- I feel so grateful to have it provided but the last 2/3 appointments I have left disheartened because of the unrealistic expectations! I had my pump fitted today - so another item ticked off the to do list! Maybe I can stop taking my pill now

Aww I'm glad it made you smile.

Yeah the pre-pregnancy clinic just wasn't right for me. It filled me with a feeling of failure every time I went. I was offered the chance to go back recently when I moved to a new GP surgery & I explained to the nurse how I felt last time & she told me she hears that a lot from other patients too. So we're not alone there!

Ahhhhh that is amazing news about having your pump fitted!!
You must be so pleased. I hope you get on with it ok.

I have my first appointment at pump clinic on 18th September, so I'm crossing fingers & toes I am able to get a pump.

I am so very excited & pleased for you :)

Reactions: Juicyj

Loulou52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I NEVER attended preconception clinic. I could not have dealt with being told that I was failing. I am almost 6 weeks now. With hopefully baby number 3!

My hba1c was 50 begining of June don't know what it is now but imagine around the same. With all my pregnancies on finding out I tightened up control. If I had waited I would still be waiting. 50 is the best it has been preconception but have got it to 41 during (too many hypos had to bring it up)

Neither of my pregnancies or my boys had/have any complications. Nor were they big babies. But I did do everything the hospital told me to do. I asked lots of questions and worked hard. I did of course have some highblood sugars but that is life and they were short lived. I had many many hypos before my pump. Ds1 was injections and ds2 was pump. Any questions just ask.

Goodluck xxx

Reactions: michelle88