Hello

Lynn O

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm female, aged 65 and type 2 diabetic. I found this group when reading The Diabetes Weight-loss Cookbook by Katie & Giancarlo Cadesi as it is mentioned in the introduction. What particularly caught my attention is that the low carb way of eating is also supposedly good for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and non-alcoholic fatty liver and maybe even asthma - all of which I have. I want to get all the above conditions under control as I am not yet ready to have my life limited; I am still working and need my energy levels to increase although the asthma does cause problems with exercising.

The lightbulb moment was a chart showing the effect of carb heavy items as teaspoons of sugar and I may never eat white rice again. I have been following the NHS advice to eat carbs but it obviously isn't working and I need to lose 2 stone - mainly from around my waist and tummy.

I was brought up on meat and potatoes, toast and cereal, sandwiches, cake, biscuits, rice pudding, Yorkshire puddings etc so, while cooking from scratch is not a problem, I am having to re-learn meals. I am therefore hoping this forum will be able to provide information and ideas for various foodstuffs. Hopefully as I learn more I will be able to contribute to others.

Hello and thank you for letting me on to the forum.

Reactions: ziggy_w
M

Member496333

Hi and welcome to the funhouse. I doubt you'll find a better resource anywhere on the planet for successfully managing or even beating your diabetes. You most certainly will not find a shortage of low-carb proponents.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lynn and welcome.
First let me post a link to our useful info:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
When I was diagnosed Type 2 over two years ago, I also suffered with asthma, hypertension, I was morbidly obese and had abnormal liver function indicating NAFLD. I went low carb primarily to get my diabetes under control, but also lost a shed load of weight, I take way less meds for my hypertension, I rarely if ever use my asthma reliever inhaler and my liver function tests are normal. I obviously highly recommend going low carb. Oh and my diabetes tests are all non diabetic numbers :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have certainly found a great place to learn about diabetes. At the beginning it can feel very overwhelming but here you will find a lot of amazing people who are always willing to help.

Do you have a meter so that you can regularly test your blood sugar levels? If you don't I strongly recommend that you get one. Regular testing is the only real way to work out what effect the food you are eating has on your blood sugar levels.

I'm one of the LCHF followers. I have found that by eating that way I can keep my blood sugar levels controlled. Like you I'm not ready to have my life limited. I also still have to work. I also suffer from asthma which seems to be better under the LCHF way of eating.

Welcome and feel free to ask any questions or vent- whatever you need.