What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know Currys haggled. Currently, the model we're looking at best price, surprisingly, is Amazon. I'm kind of philosophical about the whole thing - just another bit of chaos to add to the existing chaos. Never mind, work will be finished on Wednesday.

Currys will almost always price-match Maglil, although they won't admit to either unless the turning of your heel is leaving marks on their carpet. They will then usually say they certainly don't price-match with online offerings. My response to that is usually something like, "That's fine. I'll just do everything from my armchair and have it delivered tomorrow."

To be honest, these days, my haggling response is usually what I do,......... just do it from home, but with larger purchases, it's good to see it in the "flesh".

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know Currys haggled. Currently, the model we're looking at best price, surprisingly, is Amazon. I'm kind of philosophical about the whole thing - just another bit of chaos to add to the existing chaos. Never mind, work will be finished on Wednesday.
The haggling was based around the insurance we took out and one branch telling us we should have all our original price back. We had a voucher code for the write off. Head office would only give branch discretion if features on the original not available on their first offer. Still £1k less than we paid for the first one but I was amazed by how much prices had dropped in less than 4 years. 2nd branch were determined to find the most expensive one they could justify - built in sub woofer did the trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And today bed 6.3 FBG 6.1. Well, you know the TV is kaput. So hopefully that's the run over now. Not having a lot of success with this weekend off. Got the boys most of tomorrow and decorators start Monday but everything is ready for moving back. Picked up the curtains from the dry cleaners, electrician coming back on Wednesday to put our light back and I have a rug doctor being delivered Wednesday to shampoo the carpets. One thing with their delivery service - getting it on the Wednesday it doesn't go back until the following Monday but they only charge you for 48 hrs. Big move back will be Thursday.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Still out shopping so nothing.
D. After moving the TV, oomi noodle carbonara and a slice of skinny bread and butter (finally made a loaf today @@ianpspurs. The kneading was therapeutic). Another TAG with ADOC and 2 bits Millionaire shortbread. I've got a load of lemon drizzle in the freezer. Millionaire shortbread didn't make it!

Got more of the Gino di Campo stuff from Iceland today and at least I had room for it in my reorganised freezer.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The haggling was based around the insurance we took out and one branch telling us we should have all our original price back. We had a voucher code for the write off. Head office would only give branch discretion if features on the original not available on their first offer. Still £1k less than we paid for the first one but I was amazed by how much prices had dropped in less than 4 years. 2nd branch were determined to find the most expensive one they could justify - built in sub woofer did the trick.
Ah, I get it now. I've been in that situation with Currys but with an American Fridge Freezer. My appliances were covered as part of the Homecare with British Gas so I had a voucher for Currys to replace it.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
14-09-19
yesterday, breakfast slice of gache with butter, its a kind of cakey bread. Dont really like it and neither does MrSlim, somehow its me eating it up to make room in the freezer :grumpy:. Had also three fried eggs, seemed silly to leave just one, but struggled to eat it all.
coffee with milk and cream
lunch. Pate, toast - only one slice Pain Kapnor today, slice weights vary, this was 30g. lettuce, spring onion, radish and few cherry toms, all from the garden :smug:. MrSlim had beetroot:yuck: as well, also from the garden. yoghurt and raspberries to add calories.
Lovely, warm, sunny day, worked in the orchard/garden. Picking up and carting away apples, raking up grass cuttings from last mowing, then cut the grass. More raking tomorrow. :sour: Really wish we had mower that collected the cuttings.
We went out for a drink to our favourite little bar, peaceful place on the edge of an artificial lake that is being drained. It may not open next year :bigtears: and there are very few places locally open in the evening. However they had a DJ playing loud rap music, not to our taste, so i didnt join the queue to get a haircut and we left after only one drink each. Glass of white wine.
Dinner. sausages, and left over veg from yesterday fried up with turmeric and paprika. another glass of wine but rose this time,
Gave a few scraps to the Scardey Cat,:chicken: she enjoyed the fat from the sausages and seems to be growing in confidence, sat about four metres away without looking uncomfortable. Although she still grabs any larger pieces and dashes off to eat them in the bushes. She runs low to the ground, has a hunted, fearful attitude, totally unlike next doors cat who would jump on your lap and help herself - if you let her.
tea,
bedtime had water

Dont really want to eat a lot of the time, cant be bothered to cook special fooods, have run out of nut granola again. not managed to make that cauliflower rice either. Of course this is having a knock on effect and have lost more weight.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Arrived in Estepona yesterday. Thunderstorms meant wadeing through water to our car. More heavy rain overnight but then a reset is promised.
Got to huge Carrefour at 3pm to get basics and since it was 3pm we decided to start with lunch in their cafe. I ordered a sharing plate of Iberico ham and manchego which when it came was really generous and had a tiny ramekin of chopped tomato and nice bread. OH had a sandwich but had to help me with ham & cheese. It was incredibly delicious and really cheap. Dinner got pushed back to 9pm as a consequence and it was panfried Turbot with a few chips and brocolli preceded by avo and large prawns. Shared a wonderful bottle of Ribera del Duero and finished with an Irish coffee san azucar. Slept well and a fab FBG this morning. The one thing that was startling in the hypermarket was the supply and price of fresh fish. I could have bought salmon or cod for 4 for under €6. At that rate I could afford to eat fish every day. Also there were three sections of Ribera del Duero (my favourite wine) and one bottle stood out as it is the only version sold by W****** at £16 here it is €9 and there are lots more below and above that price.
Happy days. I could be tempted to stay ;)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Arrived in Estepona yesterday. Thunderstorms meant wadeing through water to our car. More heavy rain overnight but then a reset is promised.
Got to huge Carrefour at 3pm to get basics and since it was 3pm we decided to start with lunch in their cafe. I ordered a sharing plate of Iberico ham and manchego which when it came was really generous and had a tiny ramekin of chopped tomato and nice bread. OH had a sandwich but had to help me with ham & cheese. It was incredibly delicious and really cheap. Dinner got pushed back to 9pm as a consequence and it was panfried Turbot with a few chips and brocolli preceded by avo and large prawns. Shared a wonderful bottle of Ribera del Duero and finished with an Irish coffee san azucar. Slept well and a fab FBG this morning. The one thing that was startling in the hypermarket was the supply and price of fresh fish. I could have bought salmon or cod for 4 for under €6. At that rate I could afford to eat fish every day. Also there were three sections of Ribera del Duero (my favourite wine) and one bottle stood out as it is the only version sold by W****** at £16 here it is €9 and there are lots more below and above that price.
Apart from the thunderstorm that all sounds like paradise for you. Enjoy yourselves and the added bonus of the fab fbg.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@PenguinMum -- Glad you're enjoying your holidays -- Iberico ham, manchego and Ribera del Duero sound heavenly.
@ianpspurs -- Congrats on your new TV. Hope you have fun watching rugby on it.
@maglil55 -- Oh no, another thing that broke down -- seems like you're having a bit of a spell of bad luck lately. Keeping my fingers crossed that things will be back to normal by Wednesday.
@Annb -- Hope you're feeling better soon.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a tub of chicken liver pate (60g) and one babybel cheese.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and bresaola.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with a olive oil-balsamico-lime dressing, feta and 10 raspberries. A small steak and about 60g of lupin hummus. A glass of red wine.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, of all the things I expected to depth charge my carnivory (chips, profiteroles, hotel chocolate batons...) i NEVER expected it to be curry!

I think it is hilarious!!!
3rd day in, guts hopping up and down like they always do when I allow them to encounter veg.
Yet all I can think of is eating more curry.
Hahaha!

Today:
B: bacon and egg
L: leftover meat and some veg curry
D: ...? More curry? ;) i have chicken in the fridge. V easy to knock up a butter chicken...

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
So its 1:00am and I really should be sleeping but have had to many coffees today not to mention wine and food celebrating my sister's 70th birthday. Which was accompanied with Good food alcohol and great catchup with family.

So My day started with black coffee and a low carb paleo waffle with butter and maple syrup. I Then got myself beautified for the celebrations. As We had to leave early as live about 2 hours away from the venue. It was a sundrenched sunny spring day when we arrived at The venue was at a busy bubbly location at Sydney Olympic park and there were many people in the park today enjoying the the beautiful sunny day.

Found the venue was a private function room nicely decorated.

In all It was lovely catching up with my family that I haven't seen for awhile. The Food was scrmptious but I completely forgot to take photos of my meals I'm afraid I was way to busy enjoying them haha. Entree was ceviche scallops and prawns served on an oriental salad Main was cinnamon myrtle roast spice chicken with currants pine nuts sweet potato whip and broccolini I also tried the other main which was riverinia beef tenderloin and desert was selection of Lebanese sweets and birthday cake which I may have overdosed on washed down with 2 black coffees and a few glasses of white wine but I don't feel guilty sometimes life is about indulgence and plan to start back on LCHF/PALEO Keto WOE.. so I are caught up with family and After 4 hours of celebrating drinking and eating we farewell all and instead of going home decided to go back to my mums where I had more coffee I was offered biscuits sandwiches etc but I was way to satisfied still from my lovely lunch meal and my heart was full on palpitating from all that black coffee I think. I tested my BSL and it was 5.2mmol/L surprisingly after all that food! After a few hours at my mums drive back home. A lovely day in all. But now to get some sleep I have to be up early to catch up with my nieces for breakfast at a cafe in Terrigal. So I best sign of otherwise I'll never get some shut eye.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The usual tea, tea, tea until lunchtime at 2 pm.

I had some stewed beef and vegetables from the freezer ( doesn't sound as good as it tasted) because I still don't feel able to stand and prep food.

Probably nothing else today. I'm certainly not hungry at present (6 pm) and I dare say tea will be enough until bed time.

I definitely have a smaller appetite than I used to have when I was eating carbs and must be eating no more than 500 calories on any day, never mind the 2 "fast" days. I don't think it's doing me much good though and I suspect that it may be the cause of my current pain (it may be coming from my intestines somehow). So I'll probably have to make a real effort to eat more. Maybe tomorrow. BG isn't as low as it was on the chicken soup day but it hasn't been much over the 7 mark today. Weighed myself again today. Still 17 stone - no change there.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

News today was saying that there had been pretty serious flooding in some parts of Spain. I hope it didn't affect you.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B= tea and water. Latte in a supermarket around 1.00. Lunch = egg mayo (h/m) sandwich - skinny bread. + some kaltbach I discovered hiding in the fridge. Evening = short rib slow cooked with diced celeriac, chopped tomatoes, celery, star anise, bouquet garni, mushrooms then a CCB. The meat was part clearing freezer and part attempt to change nutrient profile. CCB was attempt to up fibre and cals plus use up the giant bag of callebaut. Neither are something I'm in a hurry to eat again but I get a badge for trying a wider variety of foods. It is clear I can't tolerate really dark chocolate or meat sans at least some gravy. Assuming no adverse effects on the morrow no harm done and I liked the sandwich, cheese and mushrooms. Hope the uk members enjoyed the weather/cricket/Watford drawing as much as me.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Intermittent fasting in the (very) intermittent sunshine today. Three different canals and 2 train journeys. Can’t be bad.

Menu very similar to yesterday, but in a different order.

Lunch was a bag of Awfully Posh pork crackling (love that WH Smith are now stocking this).

Mid-afternoon following walk, Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate. Far smaller BG impact than yesterday. Beginning to suspect that yesterday’s was made with semi-skimmed milk.

Dinner was a bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and grilled onions at Five Guys.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: salted caramel phd bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake (it’s been a couple of weeks! :hungry:)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bad start to the day, so nothing to eat or drinkfor some hours.
11 ish coffee, but didnt drink more than a sip or two.
3,30ish ham slice ,beau et bon bread,salad vegetable soup, about 30 g carbs in the meal.
sugar free squash ans water
dinner. two glasses of Bordeaux Clairet, and the tough old bird revisited in a much improved state, casseroled with mushrooms and leeks ( from my garden)
sadly had to pull them all up as now have a rust spot fungus. dug the garden, widened it slightly, all ready for some seeds tomorrow.
bedtime tea, maybe waterr only

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Barra and chips, first carby chips I have had since I clocked up 14 mmol/l a few years ago.
Dinner: Grilled goat chops and salad.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugars, water.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Well, of all the things I expected to depth charge my carnivory (chips, profiteroles, hotel chocolate batons...) i NEVER expected it to be curry!

I think it is hilarious!!!
3rd day in, guts hopping up and down like they always do when I allow them to encounter veg.
Yet all I can think of is eating more curry.
Hahaha!

Today:
B: bacon and egg
L: leftover meat and some veg curry
D: ...? More curry? ;) i have chicken in the fridge. V easy to knock up a butter chicken...
Love me a curry I use to make curries all the time my favourite chicken curry is lukoil mas curry it's a sri Lanka recipe by Sharmaine Solomon and my curried mushrooms potatoes and peas Taazi khumben alu mat tar Kari .
I make myself because I dont add onions to the curry as I am allergic to onions. Mmm might have to make me some curry soon...

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Still not managed to make the cauliflower rice, realised its partly uncertainty about the method of preserving it.
Do you freeze it as is? or blanch it first?

Will be preparing leeks for the freezer while awaiting informative answers.