Current NHS dietary advice for diabetes.....

JudiP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am appalled every time I go to the Diabetic section at my hospital for regular checks. They are still offering the help booklet with exactly the same advice as quoted on the photocopies posted Eastport. When will they learn by the many great results of a low carb diet and publish something which reflects that.

JudiP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am appalled every time I go to the Diabetic section at my hospital for regular checks. They are still offering the help booklet with exactly the same advice as quoted on the photocopies posted Eastport. When will they learn by the many great results of a low carb diet and publish something which reflects that.
Correction - Should read ‘earlier’ not ‘Eastport’!

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm confused... Been told to cut right down on starch carbs like potatoes, bread, pasta!!! I'm losing weight as a result. Weight that I really, really could do without losing.
Eat more cheese meat eggs and healthy fats.:)

Reactions: jjraak

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first appointment with the diabetes nurse a couple of weeks ago. She handed me this info. Luckily I know better! I ignored it and follow the eating plan my grandfather was on for years when he became diabetic. Strange how different the advice is nowadays. The current recommended eating plan would do me no good at all. Carbs are a problem for me - always have been - and following a low carb plan suits me. I'll be interested to see if my prediabetes status has improved... my next blood test is in a couple of weeks!

VMK

I'm confused... Been told to cut right down on starch carbs like potatoes, bread, pasta!!! I'm losing weight as a result. Weight that I really, really could do without losing.

Yes, I’ve lost weight too and am now down to 122 lbs! But this has now stabilised by eating more protein and fats which really does compensate for drastically reducing carbs

VMK

Yes, I’ve lost weight too and am now down to 122 lbs! But this has now stabilised by eating more protein and fats which really does compensate for drastically reducing carbs

I should add that eating carbs still affects by BG quite dramatically....

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi VMK,
Although it seems perfectly logical and I have seen many others suggest it, I think that you are the first person to say that eating more protein and fats has actually stemmed your LCHF weight-loss mode.
The others all seem to have still been trying to lose a few more lbs.

Reactions: VMK

VMK

Hi VMK,
Although it seems perfectly logical and I have seen many others suggest it, I think that you are the first person to say that eating more protein and fats has actually stemmed your LCHF weight-loss mode.
The others all seem to have still been trying to lose a few more lbs.

My favourite thing at the moment is a ‘mess’ of strawberries, raspberries, walnuts and double cream...... nom, nom

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The only meat my mother would eat all her life was beef and lamb - she lived to her mid 90s and rarely saw a doctor.

Robbity
This is what many sons and daughters know to be true of either their parents or grand parents. In a similar way to many of us remember being at school with maybe 1 or 2 fat children in the entire establishment.

Reactions: jjraak and VMK

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The diabetes clinic in Kettering and Corby seem to have wiped their hands off me, I have not had any updates since we had argued about carbs, even my new GP says I must eat carbs, so they are all trying to kill me, I am really quite ill and feel dreadful after listening to their advice- toast or porridge in the morning as that shall give me enough energy to enjoy my life to the fullest!! -by the way, they say i'm not allowed cheese :|

I just had some new test strips arrive and my glucose levels are through the roof.. I dare not even contemplate what my Hba1c would be

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 35593View attachment 35593

It took this forum to steer me away from the advice currently being given to diabetics by the NHS. Attached is from page 6 of the booklet I received...........
It’s pants, isn’t it.

The biggest difficulties I am coming across are:

• The DESMOND outfit
  • The confusion between Diabetes.org and Diabetes.co.uk
  • Vestiges of the Eatwell diet

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a trailer of the DESMOND course when I was at my GP surgery the other week. Whilst I couldn't hear what was being discussed, I saw enough to know that the course was not for me. Have since cancelled and said I would not be rescheduling.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a trailer of the DESMOND course when I was at my GP surgery the other week. Whilst I couldn't hear what was being discussed, I saw enough to know that the course was not for me. Have since cancelled and said I would not be rescheduling.
I phoned up the DESMOND people in the north west here the other day to ask why they were still putting out Eatwell solutions to T2 diabetes. I got their phone number from their leaflet in my town’s other surgery. I was told that there wasn’t an Educator around but to email in. So I did but no reply so far. LOL.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The diabetes clinic in Kettering and Corby seem to have wiped their hands off me, I have not had any updates since we had argued about carbs, even my new GP says I must eat carbs, so they are all trying to kill me, I am really quite ill and feel dreadful after listening to their advice- toast or porridge in the morning as that shall give me enough energy to enjoy my life to the fullest!! -by the way, they say i'm not allowed cheese :|

I just had some new test strips arrive and my glucose levels are through the roof.. I dare not even contemplate what my Hba1c would be

how dreadful.
so sorry to hear this once again.
when the people we trust consider their display of 'Knowledge' from years ago to be more important
than the visible ailing health of their patients.

Not knowing your full background re meds etc, would it be possible for you to try greek yogurt and some berries for breakfast instead of the porridge or toast...?

I used to see the foods i ate as pleasant and rewarding tastes, rather then as FUEL to get to me to the next meal in my day.
now i have that mentality, the foods and food choices i make take on a new quality.

where i might still enjoy the thought of toast (didn't do porridge, but a bowl of flakes..Nom Nom, Nom )
i know both hit me with a spike, BUT i also know the yoghurt can power me up and get me to the next break for food rather handsomely.

So i choose yoghurt.
maybe you could adapt one or two things until you see how they work for you. ?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi miffli, you don't have to do what they say you know. Make your own educated judgement. You say your levels are through the roof so I am assuming you ARE following their advice. Do yourself a favour and take advice from those that KNOW what works (taking account of any medication or other issues obviously). At the end of the day it is your health and YOU who may end up suffering from bad advice, not them. x

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I phoned up the DESMOND people in the north west here the other day to ask why they were still putting out Eatwell solutions to T2 diabetes. I got their phone number from their leaflet in my town’s other surgery. I was told that there wasn’t an Educator around but to email in. So I did but no reply so far. LOL.
Well in one part I saw that they were doing group work and some were playing with plastic food. Trex, Butter and a plate of plastic baked beans! I thought if they ask me to put these in order of what I could eat from those three options I would only choose the butter which would probably have been the wrong choice. Thought it best to step away.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

@miffli have a look through the forums and see what has worked for other members and eat what us best for you. If you feel ill eating too many carbs reduce them - I am on the cusp of low carb in that I eat between 100 - 130g per day which is more than some here eat in a week but, for me, it works as I have maintained my hba1c in non diabetic range for approx 6 years. Try having Greek yoghurt (provided it you like it!) and berries or have eggs for breakfast. If you still want bread there are several low carb options out there - I have the Tesco High Protein bread at 10.5g carbs per slice. Why have they told you not to eat cheese - for most of us it is a staple! I come from a family with a variety of allergies including coeliac, nuts, egg, fish and dairy so am used to family members having to adapt diets and, when I am hosting, my recipes to accommodate the visitors. Ultimately it is your choice - you are the one with T2 diabetes not them. Use your meter to experiment and find out what you can and should not eat and adapt accordingly.

Reactions: VMK

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi miffli,
So sorry to hear about your problems. I see that you are on a form of Insulin - this makes cutting the Carbs much more difficult!

The problem is that you will need some sort of cooperation from your prescribing GP in order to match your medication to your Diet and BG levels in order to avoid the dreaded Hypos!
Note that it isn't impossible - other members have used evidence from their BG meters to convince their prescriber to work with a Low carb diet rather than against it!

The one who I know of in the recent past is @IBEX82. You might want to read her thread.

Best of Luck,
Ian

Last edited:

DUCADUCADUC

@CatManRob - can you elaborate on why eggs should be avoided?

Edit - and red meat?

Just a comment on chlorinated chicken also - we do have chlorinated water here in the uk, so while I'm not sure about concentrations, we certainly could view the hype as more political than health oriented.
Hi,

From personal experience eggs irritate the prostate and add to the increase of UTI's. You don't want to go there...