Diabetes and alcohol

Yuppygup

Hi guys, first post.. I've tried looking around the forum and the net at large and couldn't find anything on this; I'm looking for nutrition tables for packaged rtd (like cans of bourbon and coke) alcohol. Anyone know where to find anything?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Alcohol is a slight problem in that it is 'digested' in preference to everything else, but not a serious problem in small quantities. Except that it tends to increase hunger/greed!
It is the Carbs in Beers , Mixers and sweeter Wines that ii the big problem.

I don't have specific information, but the general rules on Alcohol for Type 2 Diabetics is that Spirits are OK ( well as OK as they are for non- diabetics), but the mixers are the problem. So it the case of Bourbon and Coke- it makes a big difference if the Coke is regular or diet.

Dry white wines are OK, but not sweet ones, most red winces are OK, but watch out for sweeter ones.
Only 'lite' or low carb beers though! Consider a normal beer as 'liquid toast'.

Personally I stretch my Dietary Plan at weekends and drink a bottle of red wine over Friday. Saturday and Sunday evenings. I have not touched a beer since I was diagnosed.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, first post.. I've tried looking around the forum and the net at large and couldn't find anything on this; I'm looking for nutrition tables for packaged rtd (like cans of bourbon and coke) alcohol. Anyone know where to find anything?
Not quite what you're looking for, but it might help: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/alcohol-guide Coke isn't a good idea unless it's diet, (and even then it depends on how you respond to artificial sweeteners.). Good luck!

Reactions: Flora123

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't the cans have nutritional information on the back, like other foods?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Yuppygup and welcome to the forum :)

Can you tell us what medication you are taking, so are you on insulin ?

Generally I avoid anything pre-mixed because of the sugar.

Reactions: spage

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm unsure I use Google. How many carbs in (insert product) and 9 out of 10 times I get an answer.