• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you ever find that your fasting blood sugar goes up without real reason that you can find? (e.g. no change in carbs, exercise, etc.)

I had been getting readings in the low to mid 80s mg/dL consistently for several weeks but this week I am back up to the low 90s. No dietary changes and same exercise but different result. And now a trend in the wrong direction...

Are you using the same brand electrodes/test sticks and from the same box/container.? Eating at the same hour, same protein sources ie animal origin or vegetable origin. Maybe you are eating close to your upper limit of prorein intake?.

Sometimes I experience some differences , but all within the allowed limits of accuracy for home testing glucometers .

I need to be be VERY VERY strict with macronutrient control to maintain good and stable BG readings.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you using the same brand electrodes/test sticks and from the same box/container.? Eating at the same hour, same protein sources ie animal origin or vegetable origin. Maybe you are eating close to your upper limit of prorein intake?.

Sometimes I experience some differences , but all within the allowed limits of accuracy for home testing glucometers .

I need to be be VERY VERY strict with macronutrient control to maintain good and stable BG readings.

Same meter and strip type. I have a new package of strips but was still getting lower reading when I first opened the package. I have another meter that I sometimes check my regular meter against. The readings on both meters aren’t the same but the trend seems consistent. (First was down and now is up again).

I have noticed that higher protein effects my fasting blood sugar. Beef effects it more than fish or vegetable protein. In the past, if I ate beef for dinner, the next day fasting would be higher, but then go back down the following day.

This week has been different. I have had four days with readings over 90 mg/dL in a row. I am not so concerned with some reading in the low 90s, but the trend is up.

I am also not seeing my blood sugar drop as much with exercise. For a while since I started testing, exercise would drop my blood sugar into the low 80s to mid 70s. (A couple times into the high 60s.) Recently I have been in the high 80s or low 90s also after exercise.

What macro nutrient targets do you set to maintain good BG readings?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Same meter and strip type. I have a new package of strips but was still getting lower reading when I first opened the package. I have another meter that I sometimes check my regular meter against. The readings on both meters aren’t the same but the trend seems consistent. (First was down and now is up again).

I have noticed that higher protein effects my fasting blood sugar. Beef effects it more than fish or vegetable protein. In the past, if I ate beef for dinner, the next day fasting would be higher, but then go back down the following day.

This week has been different. I have had four days with readings over 90 mg/dL in a row. I am not so concerned with some reading in the low 90s, but the trend is up.

I am also not seeing my blood sugar drop as much with exercise. For a while since I started testing, exercise would drop my blood sugar into the low 80s to mid 70s. (A couple times into the high 60s.) Recently I have been in the high 80s or low 90s also after exercise.

What macro nutrient targets do you set to maintain good BG readings?

5% carbs 20% protein and 75% fats for a total of ca 1600 cals/day. Two meals/day. FYI I weigh out all of my food.
Gentle exercise ,morning walk of ca 40 mins 5-6 times a week.
Note that I take 850 mg/Metformin per day for diabetes.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Any tips how you keep your levels FBG so low. I do like bread.

No magic I can assure you, just keep carbs as low as you can, moderate protein and enough fat to maintain energy levels. No snacks and of course no bread , pasta or rice.Its that simple, but simple does not mean easy, it takes a bit of getting used to. Just start with small steps and you will most probably see your numbers drop. Best wishes for your efforts.

Saur

No magic I can assure you, just keep carbs as low as you can, moderate protein and enough fat to maintain energy levels. No snacks and of course no bread , pasta or rice.Its that simple, but simple does not mean easy, it takes a bit of getting used to. Just start with small steps and you will most probably see your numbers drop. Best wishes for your efforts.
Thankyou for your reply and feedback. You are right you have to work hard to achieve anything.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
First thing in the morning is 125 mg/dl (5.9 )good or bad? I’m new to this and struggling with what’s good and bad for me
Hi there Granny..... ....started smiling.

125 mg/dl = 125/18 = 6.94 m moles/l and it is what it is ie your present FBG [fasting bloof glucose]
If you look over the forums you will see many possible diets for reducing your blood glucose values. I have found that the LCHF diet works well for me ie low carbohydrate high fat.

You may also wish to google blood sugar 101, there is a great amount of information there also, all in easily understood presentations.In the beginning there is a lot to learn and many new terms that take time to digest.

Good luck with your learning curve and dont be afraid to ask questions.

Reactions: Grannygrump