borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Well I have done it again fallen off the diabetic wagon once more
I can go weeks and weeks eating properly every carb counted etc but every now and then I act like a fool eating what I want while trying to inject to match but failing miserably
Advice and a quick kick up the rear needed ,why oh why do I do this !

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Because you are human and we all make mistakes.
Huge hug.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you are lacking something in your everyday diet - so you are prompted to try to find it by eating everything in sight.
My appetite is very low from time to time, and I take multivitamin and mineral tablets - weirdly I do not lose weight at these times, perhaps because I do not go out as much, so less exercise. I have often been told by doctors that I will suddenly be ravenously hungry and go on a binge - which has never happened. Perhaps the tablets have something to do with it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can go weeks and weeks eating properly every carb counted etc but every now and then I act like a fool eating what I want while trying to inject to match but failing miserably

Hi borderter, don't be too hard on yourself, it sounds like you're getting it right most of the time. I tend to eat lowish carb even though I have insulin but when I want something not so low carb I will have a small portion of it so that I can manage it with less insulin, ergo less room for wild swings. Or once a month or so I might have a high carb meal but stick to a known portion or type of food which I have had before so can make a fairly good guess at how much insulin I'll need. It really is trial and error but if you treat your food as though you are on a constant diet (I'm guessing you do this by your use of the term 'eating properly and counting every carb') then you can guarantee ALL you will want is something you think you can't have. I know everyone is different of course but if you mess things up just try to move on. x

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@borderter When you fall off the wagon just climb right back on I have like many others here done it often.

No one is perfect. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't fall off any wagons, but I do occasionally have some minor dietary diversions - these sound much less drastic and don't involve any major guilty feelings.:p

Best advice I can give is to know why you do this and try to avoid these situations: if you are super strict, try being a bit less so - choose suitable lower carb foods that you can enjoy eating, and treats that won't do (too much) harm in small quantities. Being a little more flexible can in the long run be a much better bet than aiming for super strict and then "failing".

Robbity

Reactions: borderter

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@borderter

Cut yourself some slack. I have often thought that knowing you can adjust insulin to cover carbs must make sticking to low carb much more difficult. If I had insulin to hand I am absolutely certain that I would be tempted to have 'just one' and we all know what happens then... I mean, that happens to me sometimes without insulin available!

So don't worry. You are human. Just like the rest of us.

I wrestled with reduced carbs for decades, falling off the wagon occasionally, then gradually clawing my way back.
The last few years have been the easiest, but that doesn't make them a walk in the park. Now I have a test meter, I can see the damage I do to myself, there is a lot more info about LC available, and better food recipes and variety, plus this forum. I use them all as crutches. :D Another factor in my sticking to my current way of eating is that my body can no longer cope with certain foods the way it used to. Nowadays the consequences of 'just one' outweigh the short term pleasure of the eating.

Anyway, just wanted to say that it is OK. You do what you can, when you can, and find motivation where you can.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What great people you are not a single one being unhelpful
Good news is with your help I am getting my sensible head back on and so far so good but hbaic taken on monday but that is going to be an exciting reading LOL

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What great people you are not a single one being unhelpful
Good news is with your help I am getting my sensible head back on and so far so good but hbaic taken on monday but that is going to be an exciting reading LOL
Let us know how you get on with that next test. Perhaps it helps to think of this as an addiction thing and then imagine how hard it can be for smokers/alcoholics to quit their drug of choice.
i am type 1 on insulin and do wrestle with those thoughts of 'well my pancreas is bust anyway so I may as well as shoot up more insulin' but even when I do that my blood sugars are uncontrollable hence sticking to la vida low carb. Good luck and the only choice that matters is your next one.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I believe for myself it's carb build-up. Then a carb craving sensation which I hit with protein only. It then goes. Hv you tried this for yourself? It liberates me.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just got my hbaic and its still 56 so no change even though i have been eating badly and can only think its the 20 miles a week Im commited to doing that has helped ,chol 5.6 but creatinine 101 so that bit is not so good but overall im amazed

Reactions: SalB