Making my own bread

Carole12

Hallo! I am going to make my own bread in a machine. I can’t have ‘hard bits’ as in whole wheat.
I would like to know which flours to use for a low carb bread. I have made almond bread which is nice but would prefer something that tastes a little more like normal bread if possible. Any ideas?

Thankyou all so much.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Claude 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I Make my own bread from over a year ago.
50% Organic Rye flour and 50% Organic Spelt flour,water, and yeast.
That’s it ! Worked perfect for me, 2 slices breakfast,lunch,evening,with no high blood sugar level.
I used to have a bread maker, but,end up doing it too often.So bake it myself by 4 loaf each time,slices them and froze them.
When defrost, keep it in the fridge.Toast it,to eat it warm, best result.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I took my usual bread recipe and added in milled seeds, psyllium husk flour, rye flour - to disguise the purple from the psyllium, ground almonds, coconut flour - anything low carb. It could do with some gluten, but I can't find anywhere local to buy it and mail order had ridiculously high postage. I use yeast and baking powder to lighten it. I bake it in muffin tins to make a roll sized but rather dense result and then freeze them.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Carole12,

I use a mix of almond and lupin flours (2.5g of usable carbs) plus psyllium husk. Linseed flour (at 0 carb) is nice too, but I usually keep to 10% of the total (can taste a bit of cardboard if you use too much).

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not used a bread maker, but have made some non "bitty bits" low carb "bread" using ground almonds, walnut meal or sesame flour. Probably the sesame flour version is the least nutty tasting one, but my favourite is a mix of walnut meal and milled golden flax seed (though I definitely include walnut pieces in mine!).

Diet Doctor is a good resource for all things low carb, but this might also be a useful guide to low carb/keto bread making:
https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/category/bread/

Robbity