Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
CGM to go with my 640G yeah would have liked that. Would enable the pump to suspend basal delivery when starting to go Lo. Libre is cheaper for the NHS so am pretty happy with the Libre/MM combo
If we had to compare prices, definitely libre and MM is cheaper. But like me, I would have preferred to experience the full tech and it would be also nice to hear about some experiences from the UK peeps. Majority of the time, it is Americans, western europeans etc around the world are giving their view on it. I will let you know though, I heard it's not as superior as the tandem and dexcom combo.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read a few guys on this forum getting excited about the Tandem but I think that is "in theory". I have not read from anyone who actually tried it.
For my first pump, I would be nervous about the customer support for a pump which few people have.
I was aware of that risk with my Medtrum but decided, as it was my second pump and I knew what I was getting myself into, it was worth the risk.

Medtronic has such a huge portion of the UK pump market, I have more confidence their customer support can cope with problems and has support staff that can talk you through any issues.
I was listening to some of the Americans who absolutely hated their medtronic 670G because of the auto mode and CGM aspect of it, like accuracy is off (I know accuracy varies on everyone), it would suspend when their BG wasn't low, too much input from the user because they need to keep calibrating it more than the recommended 4 times a day and the whole system wants them to run higher than they liked. They've moved onto the tandem and dexcom combo and found it much better. But I haven't heard anyone in the UK that have the medtronic 670g and sensors, I would be interested to hear their input as well.
I agree that there is a huge portion of medtronic users in the UK and my hospital are very in favour of them so I doubt I would in theory have any issues with them. I know tandem isn't as big here yet, so my hospital was reluctant to provide any more information on it. I hope to see it after the 4 years.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I ask does anyone know if any pumps that are coming out in the near future would have audio? I was thinking about the woman who sat next to me during the freestyle libre meeting and unfortunately she is blind because of her diabetes (high BGs etc), while she was recommended for the pump and I couldn't think how it would help her. She was relying on the libre beeps on her reader. I thought maybe a future pump with audio might be beneficial to them. I wouldn't be surprised to meet siri again and siri talking to me or screaming at me. :hilarious:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A most repentant Young Vampire this morning after Friday's lack of follow up hypo treatment as per protocol. As I'd suspected, there were no repercussions as the full-fat caffeinated liquid of choice has done the trick, but I still demanded meter and record book to check all had been well late Friday afternoon the instant I clapped eyes on YV this morning and had the "Don't do that again!" chat. (Plus, we worked out what it was all about. My hunch was right there as well.)

My colleagues in training have moved into supporting YV more this week and are practising even more enthusiastically on me!! I wasn't allowed out of the door to go home without a check along with a stern admonition to drink lots of water on the way.

Interestingly, for the first time in a couple of weeks, I ran high again on Sunday Morning. Two weeks with different clergy is clearly less stressful than the status quo.

Reactions: hh1 and MeiChanski

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I've just been contacted by Medtronic as my 640g pump ends it's warranty in Nov and they suggested the 670g, however as it requires additional funding I have to present a case to my team as to why they should fund it, currently using the Dexcom and quite happy with this system, however after reading your comment @MeiChanski i'd be curious to find out more from other users first to see if this is the right direction to go in, can you tell me where you've seen feedback on the 670 ?

My diabetic nurse also works with blind type 1's so will ask her about audio pump systems.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Evening chaps! Sat next to a lady on my course who I’d not met yet (there’s 70 of us) and spotted she had a Libre scanner. ONE OF US!!!! I’m not the only one! So you can imagine the conversations we’ve been having :D
I've heard there is a new staff type 1 at work with a pump. I've been looking out be haven't had any clues yet, dear Watson. :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been contacted by Medtronic as my 640g pump ends it's warranty in Nov and they suggested the 670g, however as it requires additional funding I have to present a case to my team as to why they should fund it, currently using the Dexcom and quite happy with this system, however after reading your comment @MeiChanski i'd be curious to find out more from other users first to see if this is the right direction to go in, can you tell me where you've seen feedback on the 670 ?

My diabetic nurse also works with blind type 1's so will ask her about audio pump systems.

Oh gosh, I hope they continue to fund for it. I don’t know whether pump choices have changed for you since you said there was only one pump choice. Mostly youtube from our fellow Americans. Some like it, some do not like it and prefer the tandem and dexcom. I can’t remember her name but she documented her first impressions right until she changed to tandem. But she has the cgm with the medtronic so I don’t know if we, UK peeps have that luxury to experience the full tech.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of curiosity, does anyone know someone that has been doing well with their pump but when it came to the end of their 4 years, they had their funding stopped? Or is it like we’ll continue funding because you are doing so well?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening chaps! Sat next to a lady on my course who I’d not met yet (there’s 70 of us) and spotted she had a Libre scanner. ONE OF US!!!! I’m not the only one! So you can imagine the conversations we’ve been having :D
That’s the thing with us lot. We tend not to make a fuss and bother. Just get on with it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know someone that has been doing well with their pump but when it came to the end of their 4 years, they had their funding stopped? Or is it like we’ll continue funding because you are doing so well?

They don't stop funding when the pump expires it's just if you want to upgrade the system which in theory it would be for the 670g with the guardian system then the extra cost means the board has to approve it, otherwise I could just opt to continue using the 640g. They can however stop pump funding if you're not using the pump properly but this would be assessed on your annual consultant review, it's rare but can happen.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I should really start separating my diabetes appointments. I’m looking at my calender and apparently I have two appointments on the 20th, one I know is for my mental health and the other one is diabetes. I don’t know if it is my DSN again or my consultant. My money is on seeing my consultant or it could be the libre review. Who knows? :D

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I found the letter, it is for my libre but with another dsn. So that’ll be interesting. Silly me eh?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello all!

My beautiful boy arrived 3 weeks ago. Making the most of every moment with him.

Diabetes has taken a backseat for now but I will be back soon hopefully as need to get a grip on it.
I’m thrilled! Congratulations my lovely. Don’t fall into the trap I did, where I maintained it beautifully until I had my son, and then let it all go to pot for about 14 years...

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all!

Diabetes has taken a backseat for now but I will be back soon hopefully as need to get a grip on it.
What great news, congratulations! Just remember you need to take care of yourself so you can take care of him. Very best wishes

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all!

Massive congratulations CranberryIce. I do hope all's well with you and the little guy?

Reactions: CranberryIce