What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
So sorry you are going through this. It is so difficult when our loved ones have altzheimers. You are doing brilliantly.

My big regret - looking back at the time we looked after my father in law - was that I felt I must tell him if I did certain things before I did them. So I would ask him if I could wash his clothes - he would say no and say they didn't washing. He would then get upset. Why oh why didn't I just go in his room.and take the clothes - he would never have known as his dementia was quite advanced then.

He was quite feisty and I can be a bit bossy. This led to one memory that always makes me smile. Before his dementia got too bad we arranged for him to visit my brother in law in Canada.

He wanted to wear his ancient gardening jumper which was full of holes and filthy because he wouldn't let me wash it. I bought him some new M&S jumpers that I insisted he wore on his trip.

So the morning of his flight from Norwich he came down for breakfast in a new jumper. He went upstairs to get his coat and it didn't occur to me that he would change into the old jumper and button up his coat so I wouldn't see the swap.

The first I knew about it was a furious call from my BIL - how could I have sent him like that! I love it that my father in law got great enjoyment from outwitting me.

I had arranged that KLM would look after him and they were brilliant. Before the flight I coached him over and over again on what he had to do - which was stay on the plane at Schipol as someone was going to take until onto the next plane to Toronto.

On the morning of the flight he thought he would have a bit more fun.. So when I asked him what he would do when he got to Schipol he said he was going to get off the plane and look for a KLM plane. He probably laughed all the way to Canada at the look of horror on my face.
Thanks for sharing your stories, Krystyna. I can certainly relate to them. It's good that you have memories to make you smile. My FIL did not have dementia but could be mischeivous and a bit impulsive. In his 90's he was still mobile but was beginning to struggle with his sight. Once we had taken him on holiday with us. When it was time to leave we couldn't find him anywhere. Becoming really concerned we set of to search for him and looked everywhere we could think of. An hour later he casually walked up to us and told us he'd been on a lovely boat trip around the bay! When we were working he often liked to surprise us -like the time he painted our garden wall a shocking shade of bright red which took years to fade, bless him. With mum it has been a steep learning curve and for a long time I made the mistake of trying to involve her in choices/ decisions and of explaining what was going to happen but have now realised that she cannot cope with that and I have to make decisions in her best interest. Best wishes.:)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't rush dogslife with personal items you need to take your time...I'd suggest put them into a large packing box & deal with them bit by bit when you're ready.
Thanks Bubbsie.:)

Reactions: HarryBeau

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
5.2 today, late posting. So late it should read 5.2 yesterday!

Just spent all day writing a 7.5 minute presentation for next Wednesday. Big meeting to be held locally involving about 100 from various CCGs/PPGs. Well when I say all day I mean writing it in about an hour between dipping in and out of Facebook, Twitter, emails, sky news!!! In fact I haven't got out of my dressing gown. Nor moved away from dining table yet I've had an incredibly busy day!!!

Hubby has done washing, mopped floor, done breakfast and dinner. Yes he sure is enjoying retirement!!!

Not sure how it's happened but I now have 615 posts to catch up on! Not giving up though.. ..

So good to see you back especially as that means you are feeling better.
Thank you Debandez and congratulations on all you have acheived.:)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez agree about Dr Zoe you were the expert not her! Pity it wasnt just the three of you on the sofa cos Holly was really following what you were saying. Maybe next time! In fact you could have your own Diabetes show you are so good at this.

I don't know where its come from! If you had told me prior to dx I would be on live TV, and doing presentations in front of 100, and throwing myself around top model style ie full on pout and arms on hips or wrapped around a tree style I would have fallen to the floor laughing. I'm not even giving it a second thought. Im saying yes to anything! I've told the PR TEAM 'just keep wheeling me out'. All in a fantastic cause. I wont stop until the DUK website is updated to reflect the 1936 guidelines. And when we are offered bg monitors AND the option of a lchf woe instead of 'take these meds, its progressive, you will probably end up on insulin, see you in 6 months'.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It will be interesting to hear what response Debs might get if that question is included...however I'm more interested in how T2's non dependent on hypo causing medication are advised not to test...is it the same old nonsensical 'arguments' so far I have heard 'there is no need' or 'it will be too emotional' possibly 'you won't understand the results' usually anything negative that will deter patients...anyone got anymore excuses (apart from above) they'd care to share?...when we know it's all about the money honey (sorry couldn't resist).
False economy as we know. Testing is imperative. Hba1c every 6 to 12 months just gives you the average. We need to know the hi scores and the lows. If it was a reflection of the mountains we climbed then more chance of falling off and seriously injuring ourselves the higher the mountain we climb we need to know how high before we try and tackle it, to know the risks. How are we expected to know what foods suit us without. I was told 'no need, you will become obsessive '. I have a libre now and the info it gives is fantastic! It is helping me understand how my body feels with sugar more than ever! Highly recommend although each one costs £48!. Doing it for about 2 months to learn more then ad hoc.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, Firstly massive well done @DJC3 for completing the tough mudder and raising money for charity, my competition yesterday was a mixed bag, I managed to qualify for the European Championships next year and I also found out that I will be getting a invitation to the British Championships to defend my titles so all was not lost. Finished with a 140kg bench press (I failed this at the British in May) and a 205kg Deadlift (was marginally happy with it due to ongoing Hip Injury which means am essentially pulling from the floor one legged) so not upset, much to work on. Anyway the meter of doom must have taken pity on my age ravaged body and threw, gently, a 7.9 at me not bad after a day of interrupted insulin yesterday and not eating properly through the day of comp. And I managed to get 3kg under the weight limit too (122kg I compete in the 125kg class) so all in all not a bad day yesterday.

Take care everyone.
WOW!!! JUST WOW!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks PM but that is the device I also use and I stab the sides, providing blood flows if not I resort to tips. I don't actually have pain when stabbing it can be hours later when trying to hold down the strings on my instruments, just like the nerves have become sensitive through all the stabbing.
Running fingers under warm water before pricking would help.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning...great sleep last night odd how lots of sleep sets me off to a slow start I would have hoped for the contrary...breaking news from the authorities in anticipation of Brexit we need to prepare a 'grab bag' with necessities...so definitely my bottle of Sipsmith (gin) the bottle of champers in the fridge cousin Ness gave me as a thank you...will ruminate on the other essentials before packing them...wondering what would be in your 'grab bags' woke to a 6.6
I wont be preparing a grab bag. They are going in ridiculous. Its not the 3rd world we live in it's the UK. That said, if I was going to......I would have my also sea salt choc n nut supply (4 boxes of 4). A few bottles of prosecco to accompany and I'm good to go. Would take Oppo but it doesnt travel well! Nor does double cream!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...in bed at 10:30pm last night that's unheard of for me but I was shattered...a good sleep with young Master Frankie who came with a bag full of feeding stuff...for supper he had beef mince with a little quinoa mixed with spinach a few dried biscuits & a spoonful of mussel powder sprinkled atop...the same for breakfast...need to get organised hedge cutting later this morning....this coffee is a godsend...woke to a 6.5 & this young man plastered all over my feet.

Frankie small 2.JPG

Frankie small.JPG

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How lovely to have your family with you. I get higher readings also if I eat later - even if I eat exactly the same amount of carbs as I usually do.
Me too. I've noticed having my libre that if I dont eat after about 6pm I go below 3.9. If I do eat after 6pm I dont and my fbs much better

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had to quickly post here. Will catch up with the forum this evening.

Just checked and my hb1ac result is already on my medical records. It is - drum roll - 36 mmol/mol.

OMG this is the first time ever it has been below 42. I am so happy. At last it is reflecting what my meter is showing - this has taken me absolutely by surprise I just wasn't expecting a good result.
How absolutely wonderful! So happy for you!!!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and a lazy start with a 6 after staying up far to late into the early hours trying to get a Hay Net to look like a hay net in my Farrier Painting, think I eventually won.

Sun is out, world looks intact so off on my Mountain Bike.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning each. 5.7 for me today. Plenty of T1s have much harder times and other T2s have higher numbers so I am aware that looks ok. I am not comfortable there but I'm missing too much information around the operation, follow up scan and some precautionary meds (known side effects include adverse effect on bg control) to safely make changes. Appointment on Monday so hopefully things will be clearer. Not the end of the world by any means but rapidly approaching the end of the time of year LC works for me so warm and sunny till Monday please.

Last edited: