You can do this

DaveP 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got diagnosed as type 2 recently after probably years of abusing my body. My HbA1C was 57. Decided to make some positive change. I cut out lager and instead drank ale. Swapped white bread for wholemeal. Latest reading was 46. Baby steps is all it takes to make a difference. You can do this

Reactions: zand and Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Glad it’s working for you.

Just for the benefit of others reading this thread I was diagnosed at 55 and had to cut an awful lot more carbs than described above to achieve non diabetic levels. We’re all different and the amount of carbs we can deal with varies. This is why a meter is a good idea and means you can check without waiting 3, 6 or even 12 months for a drs retest of hb1ac to see if your chosen foods are working well for blood glucose levels or not..

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too - I can only manage a small amount of carbs a day - under 40 gm, but it works.
No beer, no wholemeal anything, no potatoes, but it means I am almost in the normal range.

Reactions: Prem51

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Glad it’s working for you.

Just for the benefit of others reading this thread I was diagnosed at 55 and had to cut an awful lot more carbs than described above to achieve non diabetic levels. We’re all different and the amount of carbs we can deal with varies. This is why a meter is a good idea and means you can check without waiting 3, 6 or even 12 months for a drs retest of hb1ac to see if your chosen foods are working well for blood glucose levels or not..
word for word as @HSSS posting but my diagnose was 112 and down to 36 in three months last one in june this year was 34......my self testing figures seem to be a bit higher recently in the sixes instead of fives but similar to last year at this time...

Reactions: DaveP 2 and Prem51

DaveP 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Considering wholemeal bread is simply white bread dyed brown, you’re doing well.
Wholemeal bread is made using all parts of the wheat where white bread just uses the one part. Wholemeal has more fibre and more importantly a lower GI. I eat much less bread than I did before diagnosis.
I've got more work to do as these changes as well as eating less calories has only got me so far. Got told off by the doctor as I am finger prick testing every morning. But it gives me a guide as to what foods raise my blood sugar. I make all my own curries now as I was finding restaurant bought curries shot my blood sugar up despite being advised I should be ok with tomato based ones. Rice is off the menu and so are chips.
I was going to stop drinking but the diabetic nurse suggested changing to Ale. I messaged my local breweries for nutrition of their ale and 6X and Abbot had much less carbs and minimal sugar.
Like a lot of people I was pretty scared when diagnosed but I'm finding making these changes is making a difference but like it's been said we are all different. I'm enjoying a lot more cooking now and the diabetes dot co dot UK cookbook is great. Wife is on the 800 diet and there are lots of filling recipes in there also.

DaveP 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
word for word as @HSSS posting but my diagnose was 112 and down to 36 in three months last one in june this year was 34......my self testing figures seem to be a bit higher recently in the sixes instead of fives but similar to last year at this time...

That's amazing. Massive achievement. Are you self testing HbA1c? I looked at Thriva put they wanted an awful lot of blood out of a finger lol.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wholemeal bread is made using all parts of the wheat where white bread just uses the one part. Wholemeal has more fibre and more importantly a lower GI. I eat much less bread than I did before diagnosis.
I've got more work to do as these changes as well as eating less calories has only got me so far. Got told off by the doctor as I am finger prick testing every morning. But it gives me a guide as to what foods raise my blood sugar. I make all my own curries now as I was finding restaurant bought curries shot my blood sugar up despite being advised I should be ok with tomato based ones. Rice is off the menu and so are chips.
I was going to stop drinking but the diabetic nurse suggested changing to Ale. I messaged my local breweries for nutrition of their ale and 6X and Abbot had much less carbs and minimal sugar.
Like a lot of people I was pretty scared when diagnosed but I'm finding making these changes is making a difference but like it's been said we are all different. I'm enjoying a lot more cooking now and the diabetes dot co dot UK cookbook is great. Wife is on the 800 diet and there are lots of filling recipes in there also.

I’d suggest it’s working because you are eating less bread rather than the type. But the important thing is it’s working.

Drs tell a lot off us for testing because otherwise they are wrong to not provide the equipment. Also they don’t understand it can be used to test food response. They think it’s just about insulin dosing.

Are you doing a single test each day? That might show overall improvements but it won’t be checking specific foods. Before eating and then at 2 hrs after starting the meal will (you can also do other times for more info but this is standard).

Standard training for drs and nurses includes little dietary stuff, mostly what we all get told, unless they choose to delve further. And what they get is generic and not diabetes specific. And even dieticians don’t seem to get that carbs are optional and spike blood glucose as they are taught from the same (faulty) guidelines and don’t consider carb processing impairment enough

Reactions: Member496333

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's amazing. Massive achievement. Are you self testing HbA1c? I looked at Thriva put they wanted an awful lot of blood out of a finger lol.
Likely talking about fingerprick meter testing looking at the numbers quoted. Gp should offer 3 monthly tests til stable and then 6 monthly according to NICE guidelines

M

Member496333

So actually this is less bread, no rice, no chips. It’s actually a largely reduced carbohydrate diet and probably has little to do with wholemeal bread at all. The opening post is missing rather a lot of information ;)

That said of course, it’s fantastic that you are getting things under control, but the baby steps approach most definitely does not work for everyone. Personally I would have received a letter from the Queen before simply switching bread and beer types had any effect at all on my own diabetes. But as we say, we are all different, have different reactions and are at different points along our journey.

EDIT: just to add that wholemeal bread used to spike my blood sugar more than sugar. Just like all bread.

Reactions: Flora123

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a Baker, I can confirm wholemeal bread is made with wholemeal flour and white bread is made with white flour. There is no dying involved.
Wholemeal flour looks, tastes and feels different.
I have no experience on the different affects on bg.

Well done @DaveP 2 it is great to read any success stories and wonderful to read low carb is not the only way.

I stand corrected thanks, I was thinking of brown bread but I think greatly reducing consumption of bread was the the effective bit, not changing the type.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brown/wholemeal bread's spiked me on the very few occasions I've tried a slice - even some of the lower carb versions. And I can't even remember now when I last touched the white stuff, so I can't claim that it's ever had any adverse effect on my (diabetic) glucose levels...:eek:

And no baby steps for me - more like a couple of unladylike giant leaps.

Robbity

Reactions: Flora123

DUCADUCADUC

I’d suggest it’s working because you are eating less bread rather than the type. But the important thing is it’s working.

Drs tell a lot off us for testing because otherwise they are wrong to not provide the equipment. Also they don’t understand it can be used to test food response. They think it’s just about insulin dosing.

Are you doing a single test each day? That might show overall improvements but it won’t be checking specific foods. Before eating and then at 2 hrs after starting the meal will (you can also do other times for more info but this is standard).

Standard training for drs and nurses includes little dietary stuff, mostly what we all get told, unless they choose to delve further. And what they get is generic and not diabetes specific. And even dieticians don’t seem to get that carbs are optional and spike blood glucose as they are taught from the same (faulty) guidelines and don’t consider carb processing impairment enough
My Dr and DB nurse said don't buy a meter, we'll measure it....Thanks to @Rachox I have a care sens duo which is great.
Google a low carb shopping list, it's a surprise what's on it.

DUCADUCADUC

My Dr and DB nurse said don't buy a meter, we'll measure it....Thanks to @Rachox I have a care sens duo which is great.
Google a low carb shopping list, it's a surprise what's on it.
While I'm on, I'm waiting for the first 3 monthly retest, I was diagnosed at 84 HbA1c, I measured just before the vampires drained my arm and was showing the equivalent of 43 in 3 months with a loss of 7.5kg. Bread went from 4-6 slices per day to maybe 4 per month (if I was lucky...).