Confused and scared

Vicki_99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I’ve stumbled across this page while jumping from page to page reading all things diabetic. I was told 3 weeks ago about my diagnosis and have not stopped crying (on and off) since. I feel like I’m being dramatic but I can’t get my head around it and don’t feel like it’s real. I’ve had my first diabetic check up and my feet are healthy and got my other appointments ready to attend (eyes / education etc) I’ve been told to manage it through diet initially until my next set of blood tests to then determine treatment plan. I really struggle with vegetables and salad and feel like I’m in a vicious circle, I’ve struggled with my weight my whole life and feel like I want to cry even more thinking about how to alter my diet and where to even start especially with being a fussy eater.

Is it normal to feel so helpless, emotional and confused.

How long does it take for it all to make sense?

Should I buy a blood test kit and keep an eye on my levels day to day or will I eventually get one?

Thanks in advance

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really struggle with vegetables and salad and feel like I’m in a vicious circle, I’ve struggled with my weight my whole life and feel like I want to cry even more thinking about how to alter my diet and where to even start especially with being a fussy eater.

Hi @Vicki_99 and welcome

The good news is that vegetables and salad are not compulsory.

What sort of foods do you enjoy? That’ll give people something to go on when making suggestions. I’m a fussy eater too, so know where you’re coming from.

We do have some useful information for newbies which I’m linking to below. This includes some general information about diet. Have a good read and come back with any questions.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it’s normal to react like this. Personally I think long term it’s better than ignoring it! Once you have. Aplan and see some positive results it gets easier. There’s a number on here that now would swear it’s the best thing that’s happened for them healthwise. Honestly.

Yes buy a kit. Type 2 rarely get given one and sometimes get dissuaded from testing by ignorant medical staff who don’t understand how it can help people not on insulin. The cost is in the strips not the meter btw so check that. User link removed as I got the wrong member. Sorry!

Do you know what your hb1ac was? If not ask for the numbers and units it’s measured in. Never take “normal/high/low” as a result. Different drs have different ideas of what that means! And get the reference range too, for other tests, as that can vary. You are entitled to this either as a printout or online if you register for that.

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. It can also help with joint pains and high blood pressure and other conditions including lowering cholesterol!. It’ll be a total about change from what we’re used to being told but it works. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAndyC

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Many newly diagnosed have fears like yourself but as you gain knowledge that will fade. Yes, do get a meter and reduce the carbs in your diet. Proteins and fats are fine and so are veg and non-tropical fruits.

Reactions: Vicki_99

Vicki_99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it’s normal to react like this. Personally I think long term it’s better than ignoring it! Once you have. Aplan and see some positive results it gets easier. There’s a number on here that now would swear it’s the best thing that’s happened for them healthwise. Honestly.

Yes buy a kit. Type 2 rarely get given one and sometimes get dissuaded from testing by ignorant medical staff who don’t understand how it can help people not on insulin. The cost is in the strips not the meter btw so check that. @Bluetit1802 has some links that can help

Do you know what your hb1ac was? If not ask for the numbers and units it’s measured in. Never take “normal/high/low” as a result. Different drs have different ideas of what that means! And get the reference range too, for other tests, as that can vary. You are entitled to this either as a printout or online if you register for that.

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. It can also help with joint pains and high blood pressure and other conditions including lowering cholesterol!. It’ll be a total about change from what we’re used to being told but it works. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin inc].

Thank you this has been helpful, I will have a good look through the links you’ve sent me and invest in a blood glucose machine. My number was 152 or 52 not sure as I don’t understand it all yet. I know my diabetic nurse said that although I’d tipped into diabetes I was still lower end at the moment.

Edited by mod for clarity - response was embedded in original post

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Vicki and welcome to the best little corner of the internet for type 2s.
Your HbA1c will be 52 if you’re only just in the diabetic range, any reading of 48 or above is diabetic.

Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found itto be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Edit for typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vicki_99

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I really struggle with vegetables and salad and feel like I’m in a vicious circle, I’ve struggled with my weight my whole life and feel like I want to cry even more thinking about how to alter my diet and where to even start especially with being a fussy eater.

Hi Vicki,

It is overwhelming indeed, thinking about it. I can only share what I did when I took on a low-carb diet
(way before I got diagnosed).

* Sit down, take a deep breath, and prepare your strategy!
* Learn how to count your carbs - including the fibers -and reading nutrition labels.

* Keep it simple in the beginning. The important thing now is taking that step.
Make a list of what protein and FRIENDLY vegetables/fruits you like, and what vegetables you can "tolerate."
Prepare your menu around them.
Don't bother prepping/cooking with vegetables that you hate.

* Mind your portions. Portions affect your carb counts.

* Prepare in batches (make extra servings if you're making a meal). This is important.
"Not having the time to prepare meals," will sabotage your effort! You'll end up eating what's readily available.
Right now, I have two servings of portioned meals in 2 containers sitting in the fridge: ground chicken sauteed with green beans, and a hard-boiled egg in each. Tonight, I'm making chicken stir fry (and will also save a portion or two).

* Have some friendly snacks ALWAYS available, based on what you like eating.
I have hard-boiled eggs, and cheese, celery sticks (washed, cut and stored in a plastic bag), and raw almonds.

* You have to learn to do the glucometer just so to know what meals (or, how much of it), can make your blood sugar shoot up.
Try to think of it from another angle: it is interesting to know!

****My problem is that, I tend to go on binges - I suppose I get lulled by progress and end up thinking, "Oh I can go back to diet later." Having been recently diagnosed with type 2, was the result of that!
Looking back, I can see what I had done, what sabotaged my dieting, and I'm now committed to stay the course.

I'm hugging you Vicki. You're not alone.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
* Learn how to count your carbs - including the fibers -and reading nutrition labels

Just one small point to note, I’m guessing that from the USA spelling of fiber that @angustia is across the Atlantic from the UK. I think @Vicki_99 is in the UK. In the UK the carb/fibre calculation is already done for you on nutrition labels so we just need to look at total carbs.

Reactions: angustia

Reemap

Hi All,

I’ve stumbled across this page while jumping from page to page reading all things diabetic. I was told 3 weeks ago about my diagnosis and have not stopped crying (on and off) since. I feel like I’m being dramatic but I can’t get my head around it and don’t feel like it’s real. I’ve had my first diabetic check up and my feet are healthy and got my other appointments ready to attend (eyes / education etc) I’ve been told to manage it through diet initially until my next set of blood tests to then determine treatment plan. I really struggle with vegetables and salad and feel like I’m in a vicious circle, I’ve struggled with my weight my whole life and feel like I want to cry even more thinking about how to alter my diet and where to even start especially with being a fussy eater.

Is it normal to feel so helpless, emotional and confused.

How long does it take for it all to make sense?

Should I buy a blood test kit and keep an eye on my levels day to day or will I eventually get one?

Thanks in advance
Hi There.. yes it’s normal to feel emotional and helpless . I believe everyone at this forum felt the same way when diagnosed including me. I got diabetes when I was pregnant and which turned into type 2 after delivery. It was shocking for me as most of the time GD goes away. I had a baby and had to handle this diabetes situation too.. it was heartbreaking..So eventually you will get a hang of this. Already most of them have given the advise what you can do. Try reducing the carb and it will help . Try cauliflower rice which is very low in carb. You can eat egg, fish, chicken and don’t have to rely on only vegetables. All the best and you will do good soon..

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Vicki and welcome

Yes it is very n normal to feel emotional and overwhelmed.

I'm another fussy eater who struggles with vegetables and salad. I've also struggled with my weight all my adult life so I feel your pain,

I really struggled with changing my diet. I received so much help and support here- it really made all the difference, I have only been diagnosed about 10 weeks so not too much longer than you.

I am now in the place that I have got my blood sugar levels more or less under control- I haven't yet been reviewed by my doctor or had my HBA1C reviewed so just waiting for that before I get too confident,

I'm not going to lie- I still miss the foods I can't eat anymore but I am (generally) coping better all the time. But more than that if I can keep my blood levels controlled I can avoid the complications of diabetes.

Please keep posting- people here are very helpful and give very generously of there time to provide help and support- it has made all the difference to me and can make all the difference to you.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel- it will get better but let us help you get there.

Welcome!

Reactions: angustia

Vicki_99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Vicki and welcome

Yes it is very n normal to feel emotional and overwhelmed.

I'm another fussy eater who struggles with vegetables and salad. I've also struggled with my weight all my adult life so I feel your pain,

I really struggled with changing my diet. I received so much help and support here- it really made all the difference, I have only been diagnosed about 10 weeks so not too much longer than you.

I am now in the place that I have got my blood sugar levels more or less under control- I haven't yet been reviewed by my doctor or had my HBA1C reviewed so just waiting for that before I get too confident,

I'm not going to lie- I still miss the foods I can't eat anymore but I am (generally) coping better all the time. But more than that if I can keep my blood levels controlled I can avoid the complications of diabetes.

Please keep posting- people here are very helpful and give very generously of there time to provide help and support- it has made all the difference to me and can make all the difference to you.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel- it will get better but let us help you get there.

Welcome!

Thank you, everyone has been so kind, welcoming and helpful. I think this will be my go to place for advice and information. It’s also helping knowing that it’s normal to feel the range of emotions I have been and I’m hoping that in time I can see it as others have as a positive for a healthy lifestyle and future.

mouseee

I was diagnosed in July although not a shock as family history.
LC has been a life changer for me. My hba1c was double yours and I hope that it's down far lower when I get my next test. I have a meter to check out what new foods do to my bs. Just before and then 2 hours after.
It is a life changing diagnosis but it's not unmanageable. I am in control of my eating far more than before... and as an emotional eater that's a big thing! Plus I have lost all the weight I've put on over the year and feel much better than I have for ages.
This is a great place to come and ask for advice or support. Good luck with getting started!