Carnivore Corner

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What were you eating that wasn’t strict meat ? And how much protein are/ were you eating? If imo er eat my beef I become a sugar burner and would never lose weight. Tho I don’t need to but if I eat over my tolerance I gain and it’s all in my gut telling me I’m not utilizing it but rather storing it
Few raspberries.. dark choc.. cheese.. few nuts sometimes.. the usual slippage..possibly an overindulgence in double cream..although I have since stopped glugging it from the pot!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For sure. Exclusive offal would only be for a month to see if I grow horns. No way am I giving up all the other glorious animal foods that I enjoy and keep me healthy. I do actually sometimes ponder quitting dairy, but cheese is my crack cocaine and I love double cream in my coffee, so that may be a bridge too far.
I hear ya. One bite of any cheese and I’m gobbling all in site. It’s worse than crack ( not that I know what that is lol). I can’t believe how IR I become too. Last weekend I caved and had some beer cheese dip at a party. Took 3 flipping days to straighten out my bs. Not worth it for me tho I am pondering a crumbled rare burger with a little butter for broth ( lol) mex or chili seasonings and a small dollop of sour cream when the weather is sub zero and i want chili or mex soup! It’s a ways away but I think I can get by with it occasionally. You could put liver chunks in it in place of beans lol..same texture! Mushrooms work for me and they can act like beans but I really don’t eat them anymore. No need.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Few raspberries.. dark choc.. cheese.. few nuts sometimes.. the usual slippage..possibly an overindulgence in double cream..although I have since stopped glugging it from the pot!
I would love to glue double cream. Omg. Yum. When I was a kid my mom sometimes put it on my cereal! Loved it. I loved butter cream Amdahl Boursin for a sauce. Dairy does me no good. I gain 3#’s overnight and become IR for days after one dairy treat. I still occasionally go there but I always pay a price. The closet I stick to beef the best I feel.
Raspberries ( fruit) doesn’t interest me. Maybe an occasional cherry if it’s on sample. Chocolate lost my taste for. Nuts I’m now afraid of lol.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to glue double cream. Omg. Yum. When I was a kid my mom sometimes put it on my cereal! Loved it. I loved butter cream Amdahl Boursin for a sauce. Dairy does me no good. I gain 3#’s overnight and become IR for days after one dairy treat. I still occasionally go there but I always pay a price. The closet I stick to beef the best I feel.
Raspberries ( fruit) doesn’t interest me. Maybe an occasional cherry if it’s on sample. Chocolate lost my taste for. Nuts I’m now afraid of lol.
Nuts I avoid.. too much like crack..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I need to follow your lead. A bit of weight creep here too. Same culprits as for you. Glugging cream is so easy to do.

@Kristin251 its great to have you in the corner providing some new inspiration.
Good to be here again! Thank you too. I won’t be chiming in much on the insulin responses. I’ll just stick with threads like this one.

The weight creep could be many things but the first thing I look at is portions. If I over eat my beef my gut grows lol. So I see that to mean I’m eating more beef above my tolerance level and that will then become stored fat.

I also look at foods that I’m intolerant to or simply cause inflammation which is not always easy to identify. That’s where my scale comes in. I can see clear trend upward when I eat other foods than beef. For me pork ( bacon) eggs and dairy hits overnight. I did find beef bacon that I chop and stuff in my burgers sometimes. Or onions.

Liquid rendered fat bogs me down. I’ve been eating mostly cold beef this summer. Cold rare shaved steak and raw ground. The raw ground feels so good in my system. People either love it or hate it but it’s so easy to digest and gives me a pick me up. I feel with me it’s actually anti inflammatory!

I have just not felt this good in many years. Who da thunk?

I don’t keep any trigger foods at home or there’s no doubt I’d eat them! It’s parties with all the creamy dips and cheeses that I struggle with. I try to remember there’s always a price for me but sometimes my wine makes me forget that! Lol. Yes, I drink red wine mixed with Prosecco this summer. So refreshing with the bubbly essence. There’s only so far I will go with carnivore lol

M

Member496333

Went banzai on the protein yesterday in order to once again retest my tolerance. Awoke this morning and rolled a 4.3 on the gluco-dice. Full insulin sensitivity restored. Achievement unlocked :hungry:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Went banzai on the protein yesterday in order to once again retest my tolerance. Awoke this morning and rolled a 4.3 on the gluco-dice. Full insulin sensitivity restored. Achievement unlocked :hungry:
You. It’s be pumped! Good job!
I can get away with a little extra on occasions like parties etc but cumulatively it always catches up with me.

M

Member496333

Just been listening to an interesting Paul Saladino podcast with guest Zsofia Clemens from paleomedicina.com. Apparently it actually is possible to reverse T1 diabetes using nose-to-tail carnivore (provided it is caught early enough). I'm sure many would dismiss the idea out of hand but, allegedly, pancreatic function in some has actually been restored with a carnivore diet.

https://carnivoremd.com/zsofia-clem...-with-a-high-fat-nose-to-tail-carnivore-diet/

NOTE: This is not my opinion. I am merely sharing the information. Readers/listeners are encouraged to make up their own minds as to the veracity of the claims.

EDIT: There's also lots of talk about protein, which I know many reading this thread are likely to find interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kristin251
M

Member496333

Today I have started taking a collagen powder supplement as part my nose-to-tail carnivore regime. I'm not normally big on supplements, preferring to get my nutrition solely from food, but Ive heard great things about collagen so thought I'd give it a whirl.

I shall report further if my hair grows back and I sprout horns :shifty:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I have started taking a collagen powder supplement as part my nose-to-tail carnivore regime. I'm not normally big on supplements, preferring to get my nutrition solely from food, but Ive heard great things about collagen so thought I'd give it a whirl.

I shall report further if my hair grows back and I sprout horns :shifty:

I've recently started taking collagen too (as well as bone broth) mainly to help the cartilage in my knees.
Of course, I have no idea whatsoever what difference it is making in measurable terms, but the week I went gung ho on collagen, bone broth, and stopped annoying my knees by asking them to do more than they are able to do, the pain levels improved to the best they have been in around 10 years. (also introduced non-weight bearing exercises and glucosamine and chondroitin, so am not claiming it is all the collagen)

But I will take whatever I can get!
And even better, things have been infinitesimally and incrementally improving in the 6 weeks since then...

Reactions: Member496333

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been listening to an interesting Paul Saladino podcast with guest Zsofia Clemens from paleomedicina.com. Apparently it actually is possible to reverse T1 diabetes using nose-to-tail carnivore (provided it is caught early enough). I'm sure many would dismiss the idea out of hand but, allegedly, pancreatic function in some has actually been restored with a carnivore diet.

https://carnivoremd.com/zsofia-clem...-with-a-high-fat-nose-to-tail-carnivore-diet/

NOTE: This is not my opinion. I am merely sharing the information. Readers/listeners are encouraged to make up their own minds as to the veracity of the claims.

EDIT: There's also lots of talk about protein, which I know many reading this thread are likely to find interesting.
There are two people I know in my T1 carnivore group that did catch it early enough and have been able to get off MOST of their insulin. They keep it for corrections if needed. Another only needs basal. Unfortunately not many of us were caught early enough.

PKD likes 2:1 ratio of fat to protein. Keeping protein in the very low end. I think it’s about .8g / kg LEAN body mass. For me that would be about 40 g. I cannot eat 2:1 fat. Especially liquid rendered fat. Paul saladino had a pod cast about liquid warm rendered fat saying it takes it out of its natural form and becomes an endo toxin once heated. I found that interesting because moths previous to listening to it I found I do much better with cold natural fat. Like raw ground beef over rare burgers and cold shaved steak over just out of the oven steaks.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am getting better with the nuts now at about half a cup compared to at up to 2. Still doing 100% dark chocolate everyday and berries, leaning towards raspberries and minimal blueberries.

My vice now is that nothing comes close to beef. On some of the days where I do 2 meals, I will drive to my local farm shop and get 1 or 2 sirloins / ribeyes. This never gets boring with just salt as the seasoning. I don't mind other meats and include alot of kidney and liver, but bèef to me is premiership.

Has anyone reviewed their kidney function since upping meat, mine went from 62 to 75 (eGFR).

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Very interesting. Please post this useful information in the Type 1 sub forum so more type 1 diabetics will hopefully benefit from what could possibly reverse their diagnosis.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am getting better with the nuts now at about half a cup compared to at up to 2. Still doing 100% dark chocolate everyday and berries, leaning towards raspberries and minimal blueberries.

My vice now is that nothing comes close to beef. On some of the days where I do 2 meals, I will drive to my local farm shop and get 1 or 2 sirloins / ribeyes. This never gets boring with just salt as the seasoning. I don't mind other meats and include alot of kidney and liver, but bèef to me is premiership.

Has anyone reviewed their kidney function since upping meat, mine went from 62 to 75 (eGFR).
Just had mine tested as I was put on a new BP med. BUN. A bit elevated but doc isn’t worried in the least. And he’s very protective of my kidneys. a GFR he’s said was good.
I agree. Beef it where it’s at. I ditched nuts. A trigger food for me AND very high in oxylates. Not good for kidneys.
How can you eat sirloin lol ? It’s so tough. Love me some strips/ porterhouse. Cold rare and shaved like deli meat. Melts in the mouth.

Reactions: Goonergal

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

WOW, I really cannot believe that this is being allowed to be posted again! STOP giving false hope to newly diagnosed type 1 diabetics!!!

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
WOW, I really cannot believe that this is being allowed to be posted again! STOP giving false hope to newly diagnosed type 1 diabetics!!!
How is it false hope?
If there is a probability that it can be done why shouldn't we try to replicate it. We all know nothing can said yet. It all depends on individual it may work or may not. But unless we try it we would never know and it will always be a falsi hope.
Is anything wrong in tweaking a diet? No one is saying to stop insulin.

Reactions: AloeSvea

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Seems to have been done in 2 separate locations.. don't you consider it worth sharing at least?

Reactions: AloeSvea