Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
I have a BMI of 19.2 which I've been told is in the lower level of normal

Are there any foods I could eat to bring up wy weight a wee bit ?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Diabeticger , if I remember correctly, you're recently dx'd?

Your body will have been basically eating itself prior to dx, so weight loss is probably down to that.

Now that you're on insulin, it'll start rebuilding itself ok.

I was in pretty serious death's door DKA at dx, skeletal, but the weight went back on fine just through eating a normal diet, without doing any of the extremist nonsense which plagues the internet.

Fire into a few broths with a BLT roll, a Sunday full on breakfast brunch, the occasional Chinese buffet, some cheese on crackers, and it'll all sort itself out ok.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Diabeticger - In terms of BMI, the normal range is 18.5-25, so you're in the normal range and neither scraping the lower ends or pressing out the top. How do you feel n yourself?

In terms of what any of us eat to gain or lose weight, it's all very personal. Personally, I can tend to lose weight, and when I do drop a bit, I tend to up my protein and fat a bit, and stick with it, but then I'm a T2, low carber. Others find it hard to enjoy the extra protein of fats, but in my world, cheese and pork crackling is always welcome.

If you're eating the same as you always have done, then maybe just up the portions a bit, or add in a few snacks or treats - obviously adjusting your insulin accordingly.

From what I have read over the time I've been here, many T1s find they just naturally seem to regain the weight they lost in their lead up to diagnosis, as their insulin use, appetite and eating patterns settle.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Tophat1900
M

Member496333

Bacon. If that doesn't work, just add bacon :D

On a more serious note I am not type 1 and will not offer any real opinion, but your BMI in and of itself is not necessarily a problem. Some say that if you want to know your natural homeostatic body mass, then look to what you weighed in your mid-late teenage years.

I'm sure some more T1's will be along to offer constructive advice on how to balance things.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Fatty Hi-carbs food like pizza, pasta with meat sauce or lasagna - topped with cheese!
Pasta salads made with mayonaisse or regular dressing (not low-fat).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese, extra eggs, more bacon, full fat yogurts, cream and a daily glass of wine helped me, but I'm not T1. I am T2 on diet only.

Reactions: VMK

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Will that not spike my bloods
Fatty Hi-carbs food like pizza, pasta with meat sauce or lasagna - topped with cheese!
Pasta salads made with mayonaisse or regular dressing (not low-fat).

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Haha, no problem, I was licking my lips there for a second
I'm sorry. I misunderstood the post - I thought it was simply for weight-gain.
I should've paid attention to your username. My bad.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am T2 and need to lose weight so I reduce carbs so that my body doesn't produce so much insulin. If I was T1 and needed to gain weight I would probably increase carbs and so I would follow @Scott-C s advice above.

Last edited:

Jo123

I was pre diabetic and I low carb. I have this problem as I've never been overweight so when I first low carbed I lost far too much weight. I eat a whole avocado everyday, lots of nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, oily fish, full fat yoghurt.
I Can maintain weight now.