Type 2 Annual DN visit

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from telling I would get sore fingers if I carried on testing my DN doesn’t ask how I control my BS.
Which in itself is crazy. Anyone doing as well as you looking at the hb1ac’s you get should be listened to and their methods considered for sharing amongst other less successful patients.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My lovely DN told me (correctly) to further reduce my carbs when my HBa1c was raised. You may need to tell the DN that before the war reducing the carbs was standard diabetes treatment. It was some silly doctors/researchers in the 70s/80s who reversed this knowledge. Ask your DN why you should have carbs at every meal when the stomach turns them to glucose and you don't actually need any carbs as the body can get enough glucose from the rest of your diet unless you are an athlete.

veggirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so lucky. I had my annual review today. Hba1c 41, cholesterol 5 , officially listed now as in remission. Told I could use an App and have consult with dietician if I wanted more help. I declined citing the Eatwell plate problem with official NHS advice and nurse agrred that this would be counter productive and that I was better sticking to my low carb diet. I do eat some carbs, once a week I have a slice of wholemeal bread with an egg on the day my husband bakes a fresh loaf but otherwise I avoid all the major carb foods, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice anything with flour allowing me to have beans and pulses occasionally.

I have had this for 5 years starting at hba1c of 66. Good chat about cholesterol too which goes up and down quite a lot within as short a time period as a week so making it a fairly useless measure- nurse not too worried about a level of 5 especially as she knows I won't take statins anyway, I tried them for 6 weeks and felt I was bobbing about at sea the whole time.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do tell the truth. It helps everyone. The NHS now had a low carb app, can suggest it as a possible diet and has modules for GPs on achieving remission. If Dr Unwin and many other GPs can use it with their patients so can you!