What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha! Another culinary triumph, Chez B!

Remember the eggy halloumi chips?
Well I have just eaten fishnchips, Carni style: halloumi fries, dipped in that homemade smoked salmon pate I made and froze.
Cor Blimey Gov'nor! It was FAB.
Though to be honest, it was more like dipping fries in taramasalata, than eating fishnchips.
Anyway, definitely a keeper.

The pate took 2-3 hours to defrost on the drainer, and kept its consistency very well, so definitely a good thing to freeze.

Don't know what is for supper on account of not knowing if I am going out, or staying in. Waiting for a text to confirm.

Hi there @Brunneria - Could you indulge me with what you actually did to achieve your fab fries?

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Cleaned up all the left overs in the fridge, a celebratory beer or two for getting rid of the feral moggy to the pound for disposal.
Dinner: Pork chops, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar, beer, water.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Had an appointment with my GP yesterday to discuss next week's blood tests. He will only do an HbA1c this time and a full blood panel next time in March/April.

I also mentioned that I felt a bid awkward to have every referral (to another health care service) state diabetic with an HbA1c of 100 (11.3%), even though my blood sugars have been in the normal range for the last four years. Argued this was problematic as this led other HCPs to focus on diabetes first as a possible cause of anything. He consequently agreed to change the diagnosis if I maintain normal blood sugars for one more year. As a side note, he also mentionend that T2 is still considered a progressive chronic disease by virtually all HCPs in Germany.

An interesting discussion resulted regarding how to deal with contradictory research results. It seems he is regularly meeting with other GPs to keep up to date with recent research -- seems I have found a good one.

So, bloods scheduled for next Tuesday morning -- expecting similar results as last time.

On another note, took @Tipetoo 's recommendation;) to have cake anytime of the day.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A slice of egg liqueur cake.

Two hours later: Another slice of egg liqueur cake.

Around 4 p.m.: A small bowl of homemade soup, a DD keto roll, half with chili-lime mayonnaise (finally ordered some) and smoked salmon, the other half with garlic mayonnaise and cheddar. ... and you guessed it ... another slice of cake:).

One and half glasses of wine throughout the evening and one babybel cheese.

@DCUKMod -- Am really impressed with your yoghurt and cream cheese making skills. Have contemplated making yoghurt from whipping cream (I think you call it heavy cream in the UK). Do you have any experience with this?

Sorry for the long post.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Raining again today and cold what happened to spring but I just wish the rain would reach the places that need it we have such bad draught.

I had a good sleep which was good for a change

For Breakfast at 10am I had left overs of my cashews waffles with some peanut butter and nob of butter washed down with a black coffee

Went shopping for a few things and brought more than I needed

For Dinner 6pm tonight I had tandoori chicken wings with side of cauliflower and broccolini and eggplant pickles.

Thought of the day..... I have to remind myself to check my BSL more often...
20190918_183120.jpeg

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Ha! Another culinary triumph, Chez B!

Remember the eggy halloumi chips?
Well I have just eaten fishnchips, Carni style: halloumi fries, dipped in that homemade smoked salmon pate I made and froze.
Cor Blimey Gov'nor! It was FAB.
Though to be honest, it was more like dipping fries in taramasalata, than eating fishnchips.
Anyway, definitely a keeper.

The pate took 2-3 hours to defrost on the drainer, and kept its consistency very well, so definitely a good thing to freeze.

Don't know what is for supper on account of not knowing if I am going out, or staying in. Waiting for a text to confirm.
Love hollumi chips I dip mine in my guacamole dip

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
SlimLizzy - You could make your own cream cheese. It's very, very easy, and you can make if with all grades of milk (although it does impact the yield and obviously the creaminess.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/homemade-cream-cheese/

I have a couple of litres of whey in the fridge, from Greek yoghurt making and I'll be trying cream cheese from whey later today. Allegedly, it can be done, although last time I did it, I used about 1/3 full milk, 2/3 whey, then as I had some cream strained off my home made clotted cream, I just threw that in too. It was delicious!

The straight strain gives a smooth, spreadable consistency, if you set a weight on top of the wrapped, strained curds, it makes a much firmer consistency.

Tonight, I will be having a Parmigiana to get through some of it!
Oh I have to try this recipe sounds good.

Reactions: ziggy_w

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Hello all,

@Goonergal -- The pork scratchings sound really, really good, I do miss having something crunchy.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Two babybel cheeses. Half a DD keto roll with butter and bresaola.

Lunch: Steak tartare with mayonnaise and two fried eggs.

Dinner: Homemade soup with beef, green beans, white beans (8.2g of carbs), celery and spring onion. Homemade low carb chocolate pudding. 40g of chicken liver pate. A glass of red wine.

Today:

Breakfast: Homemade soup (as above). Half a DD keto roll with butter and smoked salmon.

Lunch: 80g of chicken liver pate.

Early dinner: A small steak. Lupin hummus. Lamb's lettuce with olive oil-balsamico-lime-dressing and feta cheese. Two glasses red wine.

Also baked an egg liqueur cake (about 3g of carbs per slice), but need to wait until it sets. Here's a picture I downloaded:

eierlikoertorte.jpg
I need that cake in my life

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ziggy_w do you have the recipe/link for that egg liqueur cake?
Busy day today so just having a quiet moment. Decorators finishing off upstairs, electrician due back soon and Rug Doctor for the carpets arriving this afternoon. Add to that I have an online shop arriving, boys after school, curtains to put back and it sure is getting busy.
Yesterday bed 5.6 FBG 5.9. If nothing else BGs are very stable.
B. TAG with ADOC and a slice of skinny bread toasted with lurpack.
L. Couple of slices of mortadella.
D. I never thought I'd say this about Iceland but their Wild Shrimp with Chilli and tomato is truly excellent (with a bit of tweaking by me). I fried some roughly chopped wild mushrooms, wilted down some baby spinach in the same wok then added said Wild shrimp. These are not little shrimp - big and juicy. Lid on wok and simmer for 7 mins with the occasional stir. Lid off, add a pack of Oomi noodles and warm through. There was a bit too much liquid so I upped the heat to reduce and added a little double cream to thicken. It was extremely tasty and just the right amount of chilli heat. Will be going in to buy more.
Later a scoop of Grahams goodness LC caramel espresso ice cream (is it available in other Lidls or just Scotland?) With raspberries.

Ah well, decorators finished so back to work now.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@annabell1 and @maglil55 -- the cake is really easy.

For the dough, put 100g of dark chocolate (I use 95% chocolate) in food processor and shred. Add 200g of ground hazelnuts (not hazelnut flour), 5 eggs, 1 package of baking powder, 100g of erythritol and two tablespoons of egg liqueur. Mix and bake for approx. one hour at 175 degrees centigrade (or until center is no longer soft). Let the cake cool. Whip 400g of heavy cream with a little erythritol, cover cake with it and decorate with little rosettes around the edge. Pour egg liqueur in the middle (the rosettes prevent it from dripping down the sides), cool for a couple of hours in the fridge to allow cream and egg liqueur to set.

I found a low carb egg liqueur online in Germany, but should be easy to make yourself. Based on the shop website the ingredients are heavy cream, rum, xylitol, egg yolks, and bourbon vanilla. If I had to make myself, I would probably use powdered erythritol instead of xylitol -- but given that you don't really use much of it, it probably doesn't matter.

By the way, the cake is not very sweet, so if you prefer it sweeter, use more of the erythritol or any other sweetener of choice.

Looking forward to reports how it turns out (if you decide to try it).

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
15-09-19
BG before breakfast 6.6 this is about 90 mins after rising and have had a cup of tea.
Breakfast, the last of the Gache, spread it with peanut butter to add fat and protein, plus it helps to counteract the sweetness.
As a reward to finishing up the gache, had some chicken livers and spinach. Underestimated the filling qualities of gache and peanut butter though and struggled to finish it all.
BG a 45 mins (misjudged the hour)7.8
BG@ One hour 7.5
BG@ two hours 5.8
Aside from the BG results MrSlim has a medical problem, he has researched how to get a doctor's appointment, found several doctors in the area, and then asked me to phone for an appointment. He seemed surprised when I got stressed and refused.
Some time later had to admit defeat, no possibility of making an appt onine So tomorrow we beard the lion in his den and go to the surgery.
Lunch Salad and pâté, water and tea.
Did a bit more digging, expanded the vegetable garden by about a square metre. Sadly this will only relieve overcrowding, not allow more planting.
Dinner shop bought moussaka, Pretty disgusting, mnemonic to remind me not to buy again. Don't Marry Marie - She Can't Cook. Brand was ofc Marie. Green beans and leeks from the garden def best part of the meal. MrSlim cooked us figs. So delicious, but huge sugar content.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Had an appointment with my GP yesterday to discuss next week's blood tests. He will only do an HbA1c this time and a full blood panel next time in March/April.

I also mentioned that I felt a bid awkward to have every referral (to another health care service) state diabetic with an HbA1c of 100 (11.3%), even though my blood sugars have been in the normal range for the last four years. Argued this was problematic as this led other HCPs to focus on diabetes first as a possible cause of anything. He consequently agreed to change the diagnosis if I maintain normal blood sugars for one more year. As a side note, he also mentionend that T2 is still considered a progressive chronic disease by virtually all HCPs in Germany.

An interesting discussion resulted regarding how to deal with contradictory research results. It seems he is regularly meeting with other GPs to keep up to date with recent research -- seems I have found a good one.

So, bloods scheduled for next Tuesday morning -- expecting similar results as last time.

On another note, took @Tipetoo 's recommendation;) to have cake anytime of the day.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A slice of egg liqueur cake.

Around 4 p.m.: A small bowl of homemade soup, a DD keto roll, half with chili-lime mayonnaise (finally ordered some) and smoked salmon, the other half with garlic mayonnaise and cheddar. ... and you guessed it ... another slice of cake:).

@DCUKMod -- Am really impressed with your yoghurt and cream cheese making skills. Have contemplated making yoghurt from whipping cream (I think you call it heavy cream in the UK). Do you have any experience with this?

Sorry for the long post.

To be honest, both yoghurt and clotted cream are done in the Instant Pot, so no skill involved; just a a bit of waiting around.

I haven't tried doing yoghurt with cream. I think that'd be just too rich for me, bearing in mind it's a breakfast offering mainly. At the start of the process, I do often add a couple of spoonfuls of coconut milk powder in with the milk and starter, which thickens the mix even more and just adds a tang.

I'll be doing more clotted cream tonight, and I'll keep any leftover runny cream to add to either my next batch of ricotta (there's only so much of it I can eat!), to get rid of some of the whey, or I might lob it in to a subsequent batch of yoghurt, just to see what it's like.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, both yoghurt and clotted cream are done in the Instant Pot, so no skill involved; just a a bit of waiting around.

I haven't tried doing yoghurt with cream. I think that'd be just too rich for me, bearing in mind it's a breakfast offering mainly. At the start of the process, I do often add a couple of spoonfuls of coconut milk powder in with the milk and starter, which thickens the mix even more and just adds a tang.

I'll be doing more clotted cream tonight, and I'll keep any leftover runny cream to add to either my next batch of ricotta (there's only so much of it I can eat!), to get rid of some of the whey, or I might lob it in to a subsequent batch of yoghurt, just to see what it's like.

You're right -- it will probably be too rich, but I might take half heavy cream and half milk, so just a bit richer than Greek yoghurt. How do you make clotted cream? You can buy it in Germany, but it is quite expensive.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're right -- it will probably be too rich, but I might take half heavy cream and half milk, so just a bit richer than Greek yoghurt. How do you make clotted cream? You can buy it in Germany, but it is quite expensive.

I do this one: https://noemptychairs.me/2018/03/07/clotted-cream-in-an-instant-pot/

As I mentioned to @Goonergal a while ago, it can allegedly be done in a slow cooker, provided the slow cooker isn't too hot.

I do mine in a stainless steel bowl within the pot, so that when it comes to the cooling phase, I just lift out the bowl, which is a better size to make room for in the fridge. I tend to make 300ml at a time, but it could be larger or smaller batches.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BG was 5.6 this morning, so I am getting something right.

Yesterday I had a really thick lamb chop left over and some of the celeriac so that's what I had for lunch.

I've been cooking spicy chicken to take to the fund raiser on Saturday - it is low carb so I can have some if there's any left over. I'll be making some "jewelled" couscous to go with it, but that's not for us low carbers - of which there is at least one other expected to be there. I thought I might try to make some sort of "noodle" just with seasoned eggs; really very thin pancakes rolled up and sliced into tagliatelle type strips. Not sure if it will work, but I'll try it. Have made some cupcakes but still have some more to make plus a big lemon cake.

I'm a bit fed up with food right now so I'll probably have some sort of egg tonight.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all - at least unless it goes all Spursy in Greece. In honour of conference season today's menu was designed to ensure the smooth passage of tomorrow's motion. B=tea and water. Mid morning was the infamous CCB v4? (lots of flax and inulin) - really lovely caramel aroma, disgusting 100% chcoc aftertaste. Lunch was flaxseed crackers and h/m chicken liver pate and 2oz of kaltbach. Mid afternoon some 100% chcocolate with cream and 0 carb caramel appeared - sounds much better than it was. Evening meal was roasted chicken (how did it get into that bag?) with roasted veggies - tomato, celery,mushrooms and onion. Let's hope the motion is passed easily comrades. Press? What press? There are no press *MSL

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did a whole week go with no time to post? Will aim to read and catch up.
Difficult week both in yorks with mum and back in Worcestershire with autistic son being iller than normal. It’s a complex situation at moment - Still we had case conference for autistic son this week and looking like our hols next Thursday may be able to happen - crossing fingers and toes! I’m so hoping it will happen.
I’ve generally been able to stick to keto eating - after two years it’s intuitive - but stress has definitely been putting up my bgs. I’m grateful to have the deliciously guilt free bakery stuff in freezer for an ability to give myself treats!
Today
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg with half slice of Hilo toast
Lunch/mid pm treat DGF lemon drizzle cake (0.8g carb) with cream
Dinner duck stir fry made with bare naked noodles made with konjac flour and glass of dry white wine followed by a few home grown raspberries, cream, yoghurtand a DGF choc brownie. Having decaff coffee now. Hope everyone well x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Yesterday ...

Sorry for the long post.
Good luck both with bloods and making progress with GP x