High results all the time

Anita Teresa

hello everyone I am new here but been a member a while just hovering about !
When I check my bloods they are always in the teens . I phoned my surgery because I was worried . I was told it’s normal for a type 2 diabetic to have a reading of 16.5 my highest was in the 20’s
I am on slow releasing metformin ( brain not working yet )
Please any advice would be great
Anita x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Your surgery might be better advised to get their brains in gear. Teens and 20s are NOT good at all.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - no it is not normal for a type two diabetic to have BG levels that high - not unless they have a totally useless surgery team.
If you are correctly diagnosed as to the type, and you are lucky, then simply eating a diet of no carb and low carb foods you should find that your numbers are reduced, your metabolism has a chance to recover and you start to feel a lot better than you were.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

With a surgery like that no wonder diabetics is seen as a progressive illness with no hope offered

I agree with everyone else that those levels are not normal

If you are not on any other medication other than metformin what is your diet like? Most type 2s cannot eat a lot of carbs as they badly effect your blood sugar levels What advice have you been given about diet?

I have found that by lowering my carbs I can decrease my blood sugar levels- yes it is possible

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I check my bloods they are always in the teens . I phoned my surgery because I was worried . I was told it’s normal for a type 2 diabetic to have a reading of 16.5 my highest was in the 20’s
Anita x
Who did you speak to when you phoned your surgery because rubbish as some advice can be from the DN I can't image that you would be told that numbers like that or normal and therefore acceptable. I think you need to make an appointment asap and discuss this properly . :)

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that making an appointment to discuss the figures would be a good idea.
Take your records with you, and I write out what questions I want to ask so I don’t forget.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Anita x

Were you talking to a doctor/nurse when you rang the surgery, or a cleaner? That advice is wrong. Anything in double figures is not good, and if it is constantly in double figures, it is dangerous.

Can you tell us what you typically eat in a day? If you are genuinely a T2, then tweaking your diet will bring those figures down, and maybe we can help with this..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the advice above but also if you are not overweight then there is always the possibility of being late onset T1 i.e. LADA and that can progress at different rates. You need to keep monitoring your BS and if you are slim or have lost weight unexpectedly recently ask the GP for the two tests for T1.