What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @ianpspurs , it’s the Virta Health definition of reversal that includes Metformin, it reads:
“reversal” of type 2 diabetes as maintaining an A1C below 6.5% with the elimination of all diabetes medications other than the generic pill, Metformin”
I personally prefer the term remission!
Here’s an article that cites other benefits of Metformin:
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01
Thanks for the link to the source. I could have sworn that for a while your details changed from in remission to very well managed but it shows as in remission now. I'm definitely in the group who will continue to take metformin for the other potential benefits whether I ever get to remission or not.

Reactions: geefull

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the link to the source. I could have sworn that for a while your details changed from in remission to very well managed but it shows as in remission now. I'm definitely in the group who will continue to take metformin for the other potential benefits whether I ever get to remission or not.

I had “very well controlled” for a while but it was pointed out to me that my avatar then read “very well controlled moderator” which I hope I live up to but didn’t like, so I went back to the forum standard “remission”!

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had “very well controlled” for a while but it was pointed out to me that my avatar then read “very well controlled moderator” which I hope I live up to but didn’t like, so I went back to the forum standard “remission”!
You are definitely a well controlled moderator and thanks for reassuring me that I was not wrong in what I remembered seeing.

Reactions: jjraak

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good Morning, another short nights sleep and a 5.5 greeting. A sunshine day promised but it's still dark so I have to wait and see what the world throws at us.

I'm on granddaughter watch this morning whilst Mrs MC and our daughter go off enjoying themselves, a chance for me and my 4 year old granddaughter to be really silly indeed. :)
Enjoy!:)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.6 today

we'll be defrosting the freezer this morning, never a delightful task ;), taking stock of available LC stuff and getting rid of any 'unknown' bits (there is always something that has escaped labelling or dropped down the back of the drawer :hilarious:

Went over to mum's this morning to see her and the little dog because mum said the doggie hadn't eaten anything last night. Could be just the effect of the shots but mr. gee thought we would bring her back with us to our house so we could keep an eye on her. She's lying very 'grand dame' in front of the woodburner at the moment watching what is going on ;)

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Samuel Johnson was borne this day in 1709 so I may glance at a dictionary in celebration.
Born down the road from us in the city of three three sisters. I have spent many an hour in his birth house looking through some amazing books.

I always remember the Black Adder sketch when they confound Samuel Johnson by finding words he's missed out of his dictionary.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and all of a confused gender.

A 5.9 for me this morning, my meter is up to something, I know not what, but I my hammer is now stored right next to it.....

Well folks this morning I spent an infomative 15 minutes on my tellingphone talking to my credit card company, they want to cancel my card because I don't use it and I want to keep it, apparently I last use my card in 2011! Between you and me, why use the card when I have a perfectly serviceable shotgun and balaclava, still we shall see if they cancel it.

@ianpspurs new telly just to watch the rugby, how decadent...I envy you, no not telly just the ability to watch rugby, having played I now cannot watch the game. Mind you I cannot watch sport on the telly.

To all of you having problems with your profiles I just hope mine still says
" IQ minus 21 and falling, weight 763kgstones and climbing. Entering 3rd childhood disgracefully. " .
Well folks have a good afternoon.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
You are the epitome of the phrase tough times don't last but tough people do - although T1 does seem to be a lifelong series of tough times. Take care.

@ianspurs

Thank you

You’re a very valuable member of this thread and website, supportive to many good folks who frequent DCUK

Thank you so much

Reactions: jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.9 this morning. Findings are official now -- my FBG has absolutely no relationship whatsoever to what I have eaten or when I ate it or how much sleep I got after eating and before checking FBG. I will now award myself a no-bell prize.

Reactions: karen8967

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@geefull I hope the little dog is doing well.

@ianpspurs enjoy your new TV. I once had a friend who bought me a new TV just so he could watch football (yes, the Spurs kind of football :D) in HD. I loved it for the horse races run on turf. As in watching any kind of football, there is nothing like seeing every blade of grass (or every hair of horse). Enjoy! :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and all of a confused gender.

A 5.9 for me this morning, my meter is up to something, I know not what, but I my hammer is now stored right next to it.....

Well folks this morning I spent an infomative 15 minutes on my tellingphone talking to my credit card company, they want to cancel my card because I don't use it and I want to keep it, apparently I last use my card in 2011! Between you and me, why use the card when I have a perfectly serviceable shotgun and balaclava, still we shall see if they cancel it.

@ianpspurs new telly just to watch the rugby, how decadent...I envy you, no not telly just the ability to watch rugby, having played I now cannot watch the game. Mind you I cannot watch sport on the telly.

To all of you having problems with your profiles I just hope mine still says
" IQ minus 21 and falling, weight 763kgstones and climbing. Entering 3rd childhood disgracefully. " .
Well folks have a good afternoon.
The new telly is the replacement for the one they broke when carrying out a repair. Sorry to hear you can't watch sport now. I enjoy seeing just how much bigger and more athletic physical specimens sportsmen are these days and I enjoy the unfolding drama of e.g. Stokes' Headingly innings. Hope the hammer is not needed.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Little quote for today
FB_IMG_1567506768349.jpg

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It really is a fine art this diabetes! Good to see you on here. How has the bariatric surgery been for you? My sister is going great guns with hers after 10 years. She does get low in herself before she gets her b12 injection though.
So far I'm delighted. Just need my back sorted out. Seeing someone on Friday.

Reactions: dogslife and jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from doing my presentation. Here is my Facebook post. I really think this could go places, if only at a local level. It felt so positive today. Wasnt as nervous as I expected I would be. Getting into the swing if it ;-) that said bs went up!!!

I was invited by my adelaide street surgery practice manager to speak today at the Central West Primary Care Network Integration Workshop today about the work I am doing with the PPG. It's the coming together of several surgeries in Blackpool in an effort to strengthen the resources to help our community basically. Learn from each other. Brilliant idea. So about 100 would be there from Drs, health care professionals, council representatives from across different areas, fire service, social prescribing reps, PPG members and many more (didn't get to mix with every table as not enough time).

Errrr let me think about that one, talk in front if 100 people you say..... gulp...... YES YES YESSSSS!! If I can do LIVE BREAKFAST TV with Holly and Phil I can do this .10 minutes for my slot as a patient who helps patients and same for Paul Shanahan who is another patient helping others mindfulness and mental health and wellbeing).

Well I did it. My blood sugars are so stable and never spike but today as you can see they went up! For no reason other than stress. (No food had been consumed). Along with my heart rate! Confirmation that stress has a negative impact on the body for sure. God only knows what my blood pressure was!

I wrote myself a script so I wouldn't forget to say the important stuff or over run (I could talk about diabetes til the cows come home).

I hoped I wouldn't get dragged offstage by a shepherds hook by one of the drs as I was encouraging a high fat way of eating, and letting them know that blood glucose monitoring is essential in this battle (its discouraged unless on meds that give you hypos or hypers but is most certainly how I've brought my blood sugars down and reversed my diabetes).

Anyway all good. I lasted to the end. Even did Paul's section (as best I could) as he was sadly stuck on the m6 after an incident caused issues. Coming back from his jolies in Scotland for it too . Paul includes exercises in his classes . I did draw the line there .

A clip attached.

So lots of positive feedback after my slot. People came over for more info.

One lady gave me a hand written note that said simply 'thank you for sharing your story '. How lovely. Felt like saying 'if you have a week I will give you the full run down. '

As always at these events there were cakes to die for, biscuits that looked delicious too and fruit (boring and way too much sugar for me!) So I just had coffee, which actually hit the spot.

Tomorrow I'm off to Manchester for an all day health conference! Oh how my life has changed. Eric's too. He is now my PA!!! his badge actually said that today (he wrote it, cheeky b***er!!!).

Attachments

• 20190918_130819_resized.jpg
    20190918_130819_resized.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20190918_130822_resized.jpg
    20190918_130822_resized.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20190918_165223_resized.jpg
    20190918_165223_resized.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20190918-163641_WhatsApp_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20190918-163641_WhatsApp_resized.jpg