Transforming a cauliflower to rice

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen people mention that pre-cooked thin slices of butternut squash will do in lasagna. Not tried it myself though. :)
I am happy with aubergine slices but I have noticed that Sainsbury's sell thinly sliced rectangles of butternut squash to use as lasagne if anyone wants to try that.

Reactions: Antje77

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have made a mock lasagne using layers of opened out leeks.

Slice the leek lengthways, from top to bottom, Stop slicing at the centre, then open out the individual layers and use them like pasta sheets. Make your mince and sauce as usual, avoiding any carby thickeners and cook just as you would a pasta lasagne.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am happy with aubergine slices but I have noticed that Sainsbury's sell thinly sliced rectangles of butternut squash to use as lasagne if anyone wants to try that.
I have and it's not so bad. But then you could buy a squash and slice it yourself I suppose.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use processor with grate attachment it takes seconds. If not grate it.

The benefit to the reason for doing this, is significantly more surface area. If you roast it rather then steam it, add a little cumin and cardamon pods for maybe 15 mins mixing it half way through you intensify the flavor. Its great and has a flavor not a million miles away from pilaf rice rather then steaming where it tastes like steamed colly.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I have made a mock lasagne using layers of opened out leeks.

Slice the leek lengthways, from top to bottom, Stop slicing at the centre, then open out the individual layers and use them like pasta sheets. Make your mince and sauce as usual, avoiding any carby thickeners and cook just as you would a pasta lasagne.
That sounds like a plan as well! Thank you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To get the precision of the bought squash slices I would need a bandsaw.
If you know the fastest way to peel lots of apples is using a cordless drill, it's not such a big step to a band saw in the kitchen :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks that a couple of things to try. I think I'm going to have to try them all. I've had cauliflower pizza where I cook the mash in the oven and turn it so that both sides have a bit of a crust before I build the pizza, that might work for lasagne.

I've not done it myself, but your pizza base will have dried out a bit, by cooking it in a dry heat. In a lasagne, I think it'd just go to mush, due to the liquid in the other layers.

My bonkers mind is wondering how it would go with thin slices of cheese. I'm thinking thin, like processed cheese, but in my world, processed cheese is vile, so maybe some of the supermarket sliced packs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking thin, like processed cheese, but in my world, processed cheese is vile, so maybe some of the supermarket sliced packs.
You simply need a kaasschaaf. It's something you'll find in every Dutch kitchen, and often more than one :)
Regular kaasschaaf:
images

Kaasschaaf for not as matured cheeses, as they tend to stick to the kaasschaaf:
images

I have one of both and wouldn't want to do without!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just been browsing diet doctor and they have recipes with cauliflower- so not a completely daft though from my mind - and using thin slices of chicken. They suggested thin cut cooked chicken from the deli but I'm thinking a fillet bashed as thin as you could get it or using turkey fillet. Which then dragged from a long forgotten corner of my brain - chicken/turkey pizza, fillet based to a reasonable thickness topped with tomatoes plus what's lurking in the refrigerator then lots of grated cheese. Chicken fried off first.
I shall send the beloved into the boxes already packed for our move, for his sledge hammer that should bash the fillet thinly.:)

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've not done it myself, but your pizza base will have dried out a bit, by cooking it in a dry heat. In a lasagne, I think it'd just go to mush, due to the liquid in the other layers.

My bonkers mind is wondering how it would go with thin slices of cheese. I'm thinking thin, like processed cheese, but in my world, processed cheese is vile, so maybe some of the supermarket sliced packs.
You only need to cook long enough to get a crust then it doesn't soak up the juices. But I also like the idea of sliced cheese thank you.