The soles of my feet hurt

chrissieworne

Hi Mylife

Sometimes my soles get sore in summer if I wear flip flops too much and at this time of year with my primark version of Uggs!! I think its due to the flatness. Usually settles once I change to a thick soled type trainer or a small heel. What have you been wearing?

Chrissie

mylife

Hi Crissie,

Interesting point about the foot wear I was recently in the Caribbean and the pain eased when I wore plastic croc-like shoes. Obviously not good idea UK in March........

chrissieworne

Hiya

Yeah, I love my Crocs but got told off by the Podiatrist as she said they were bad for Diabetics, can't see why, they are reasonably sturdy, no seams and are comfy. They do let your feet spread tho :lol: bit like the rest of me!! :lol: :lol: :lol: By the way an awful lot of nursing staff wear them.

What made me laugh was the catalogue she gave me with such awful shoes even my 86yr old mum wouldn't wear them !

I had a nasty Bursar on the left ankle and I do have to be careful shoes are not too high at the back otherwise they rub like hell.

My days of 4 inch heels are defo over . xxx

Chrissie

mylife

Hi again Crissie

Have you tried ditching the statin as this I think gave me the problems in the first place !!

mylife

lastest update .....
Off statins for 4 months now feet and muscles now improving, still some unexplained fatigue. Dr thinks that this may be due other heart drugs I have been taking for years. Now time to reduce the dosage on these.

All in all I still believe that simvistatin is not good for me and I will never go back to them. My diabetes nurse tells me that there are alternatives so perhaps I'll go down that route.

NatKH

I have a similar problem which also affects my ankles and lower leg. This was definitely worse when I was on statins but came off them because of the pain.

I wear crocs whenever I can. The reason they are not recommended for diabetics is because of the soft sole - it is very easy for thorns, broken glass, nails, drawing pins, etc, etc to travel through and injure your feet. That said my diabetes nurse says they are the best footwear for diabetics as they give the feet plenty of room to move and breathe... :)

mylife

At last after a Creatine Kinase blood test my GP has admitted that I have some muscle damage. Reluctantly he suggests that this was probably caused by the statin. This may not be the case for all but I believe this drug is dangerous and now wait to fingd out the recvovery process.

I must go buy some crocs !!

chrissieworne

Hi Mylife

May sound silly but what sort of footwear do you use?

I go mad with Birkenstock type flip flops in the summer and as they are very flat (although soles are shaped) I find the balls of my feet can get sore and with a sort of stingy sensation. I also get a pain half way between the ball and heel, sort of where the arch is.

When I go back to trainers or more of a heel/wedge shape it eases off again.

Chris. x

mylife

Chris,

Thanks for the info it seems that shoes that fittted fine before are now too loose so I am going to replace them all.

Cheers

Seafront73

I first found the sole/ball of one foo tbecame sore and resistant to antiseptic creams when I was doing exercises in my cardiac exercise class folowing a heart bypass and am taking statins. It is possibly a side effect of the statins as I started on Simvastatin and have now changed to Atorvastatin due to side effects of the first. In retrospect I consider it was one of the first visible effect of my Diabetes Class 2, diagnosed in December 2011, that may have been present but at a low level before. I am currently using diet, exercise and weight reduction as treatment and will see if the problem fluctuates according to my BG level as I have my second test this week.

Emmerdale

Hello, I have problems with soles of my feet my Dr. sent me to Musco Skeletal Clinic the lady there said she thought she knew what it was but needed further info. and sent me for ultrasound scan on my feet, when the guy sent the results back i was diagnosed with Plantar Fibromatosis , very much like Duptrens Syndrome on hands ,nodules growing on tendons in soles of feet, they said it was inoperable on the NHS because it returns with greater vigour very quickly and they did not do this op. on NHS.that is the only info. they gave me and that seems to be the extent of any help from NHS its just like they are saying get on with it so thats that, hope you have better luck than me. :)

mylife

Hi Folks,

An update on my condition............ the sore feet and general muscle pain may well all be due the side effects of statins. Obviously no Doctor entirely agrees but talking to my pharmacist and other medics it seems there is some truth that statins are not good for everyone. Just check out the net to learn more. Anyway to experiment I have now started a course of coG10 as it is this compound that has been depleted by simvistatin.

As my Doc hasn't come up with any suggestions I figure I have nothing to loose.

I'll keep you posted

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I can't comment on the diabetes connection but I can tell you my own story re Planters faciaitus.

I am 57, about 19 stones and reasonably fit. Went out for a long walk last summer and couldn't make it home without serious limping. Next day I could hardly put my foot down. Went to doc who diagnosed planters fasciaitus (essentially damage to the big pad that runs the length on your foot) and told me "it'll get better on its own". Turned out not to be true and a few months later I started making enquiries on the internet on a forum like this.

Advice was to stretch it every morning and run it over a tennis ball, and to go to boots and buy an orthopedic insole (around £25). Cutting a long story short, it started getting better almost immediately and its now fully recovered, although it took about six months.

The moral, as with a lot of this forum is, listen to your doc but also inform yourself as best you can.

As far as I'm aware, totally unrelated to diabetes but definitely related to being overweight.

This may or may not be connected to this post. If you want to know more, just Google "planters faciaitus" and you'll get lots of hits.

mylife

Latest update

The problem in my feet appears to have subsided although I still get the odd twinch. At least I can drive again. I still have extreme aching in the thighs and hips for which my Dr just recommends taking parcetamol. I have been having blood tests and now it appears that my CK level is above normal. From what I have read this could indeed be due to the statins. But the question is will it correct itself in time ? Will taking CoQ10 supplement help the recovery ? Has anyone have any idea as to recovery time scales ? My Doctor isn't much help !

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
Could be plantar facsiitus. I've had it for over 20 years, and it can be mega painful. It's particularly common if you have high arches and walk on the outside of your foot.

Best thing I found for it is a glass (old milk?) bottle that's been in the fridge or freezer, rolled under the foot. The cold numbs the pain, and the rolling gently stretches the tendons. Oh, and don't walk or run anywhere if you can avoid it ;) Once the pain eases, wearing Crocs helps too (brilliant invention!)

mylife

OK after nearly 18 months of coming off statins I can at last say that the discomfort in my feet has gone. I have been taking 120 mg of CG10 and the muscle strength in my arms and legs is returning. Indeed my calf muscles are visibly returning and filling out again. Despite what my Doctor says I have indeniable proof that statins do actually damage you mainly I believe due to the way it depletes the levels of the co-enzymes Q10. From the research I have done I am not the only one to suffer. Just checkout recent press articles and learn the facts.

Take care.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
mylife
see the diabetic podiatrist!
you can self refer, so just ring your local hospital.
Pain in feet must not be ignored. It could be neuropathy, an infection, the start of a charcot or several other nasties, just as easily as something unimportant.
Don't let them put you off. if it's nothing serious, make sure you are diagnosed by someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Gps may not. There's always a chance it's serious! even "serious" is better caught early
You've nothing to lose
Hana
PS keep your bg TIGHT!

Vince101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had extensive tests in hospital and scans on my back and they have found that its linked to my T2, its neurological foot pain caused by diabetes, i am being treated with pregalabin and deluxotine this keeps the pains at bay.