You can do this

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got diagnosed as type 2 recently after probably years of abusing my body. My HbA1C was 57. Decided to make some positive change. I cut out lager and instead drank ale. Swapped white bread for wholemeal. Latest reading was 46. Baby steps is all it takes to make a difference. You can do this

Hi Dave, you are doing GREAT. It sounds like you are actually low carb anyway and if not, your lower carb approach is working for you. Don't be put off by what others choose to do, some go keto, some go low carb, some just go lower than what they had been eating. It may even change along the way, who knows. The point is you are doing what works for you at this moment and what you are able to live with, well done!!! x

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Glad it’s working for you.

Just for the benefit of others reading this thread I was diagnosed at 55 and had to cut an awful lot more carbs than described above to achieve non diabetic levels. We’re all different and the amount of carbs we can deal with varies. This is why a meter is a good idea and means you can check without waiting 3, 6 or even 12 months for a drs retest of hb1ac to see if your chosen foods are working well for blood glucose levels or not..
That's amazing. Massive achievement. Are you self testing HbA1c? I looked at Thriva put they wanted an awful lot of blood out of a finger lol.
no i test with a tee2 monitor (cheaper strips than the accuchek i had been using) fasting (i dont eat till 11 a.m. then only some almonds) check before evening meal and sometimes two hours after eating ...ive had a hba1c every three months so i assume i will get another soon..last time in june i asked the d,n, how many people on their books had put their condition into remmision(apparently) answer ...me!.... for me the 8 week blood sugar diet helped me kickstart a 25 plus kilo weight loss and now eat lchf/ketoish diet....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a Baker, I can confirm wholemeal bread is made with wholemeal flour and white bread is made with white flour. There is no dying involved.
Wholemeal flour looks, tastes and feels different.
I have no experience on the different affects on bg.

Well done @DaveP 2 it is great to read any success stories and wonderful to read low carb is not the only way.

Hi, I feel we need to understand the differences between a condition like T2 & T1.
The former maybe diet managed & may be subject to insulin resistance too?
Where as T1s have a little more leeway utilising insulin dosage & timing to comliment digestion & metabolism of carbs consumed. Of course it's not just bread, but the filling that can impact digestion too.

Our paths as T1 started differently but I'm sure in the early days we were both discovering what had a negative impact on smooth BG sailing as insulin users & getting our heads round it...

A diet managed T2? We can only wish @DaveP 2 well on his improved A1c journey of discovery.. :)

Reactions: Daphne917

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
A diet managed T2? We can only wish @DaveP 2 well on his improved A1c journey of discovery.. :)
Hi,
So far as I can tell both by my own experience and that of thousands who have done LCHF, a diet managed T2 is FACT.
Just a matter of finding the appropriate dietary lifestyle to match the T2 diabetic !

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
So far as I can tell both by my own experience and that of thousands who have done LCHF, a diet managed T2 is FACT.
Just a matter of finding the appropriate dietary lifestyle to match the T2 diabetic !

Hi,

I would never disagree.. I've read the experience of other T2s like you.
Knowing carbs as I do from childhood. (As a T1.)

Of course I read all this valuable T2 experience whilst joining the forum, just after the demise of my elderly T2 dad.
Unfortunately, the "right thing" too late.. (That is some comfort to me.)
I had managed to help lower his A1c to the point he no longer needed the Metformin in his last few years.. (By lowering the carbs @ around 60%.) Tragically, from what I can tell he was under the misconception prior to this that the tablets alone would let life "carry on.."
He was fortunate enough to be prescribed test strips. He had a fancier meter than me at the time. (We had the same Doc.)

A BG meter (or CGM.) is a useful tool (for any diabetic, meds or not.) to gauge how that appropriate dietary choice, thus maintaining a healthy lifestyle is made..

I appreciate your comment & uderstand the differences ot type in the same struggle. That "hallowed" A1c result. :)

Best wishes.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Got diagnosed as type 2 recently after probably years of abusing my body. My HbA1C was 57. Decided to make some positive change. I cut out lager and instead drank ale. Swapped white bread for wholemeal. Latest reading was 46. Baby steps is all it takes to make a difference. You can do this

Congrats on the progress!