Carnivore Corner

M

Member496333

I also have a fond liking for mushrooms pan fried in butter (Salt n pepper) on steak, but I'll shut up as I'm not sure how carnivores feel about mushrooms and I don't want a procession of flame lit torches marching down the road towards my house. ;)

Mushrooms were the last thing from outside the animal kingdom that I quit. I don't miss them even though I used to love them. Actually that's not entirely accurate, as I still drink coffee! Not sure I'll ever be able [or want] to quit my coffee :nailbiting:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I've been carnivore (probably no less than 90% carni on any day, and usually 98% carni) for over 20 months now, and have been astonished how my tastes have changed. I now find most veg, esp raw veg, unappetising. The smell of veg like broccoli and cabbage is revolting to me, where I used to enjoy those foods. As for mushrooms, I ate them on steak and as a garnish for the first 6 months, then one day... nope. Not for me any more. It was as if the flavour changed from pleasant to unpleasant overnight.

That's interesting, I find most veg to be dull myself. Mushrooms I still like, I can still eat a lot of them. Never been a fan of veg much at all or the idea they are great for you. However, dangle a mushroom on a string and I will follow it like a donkey following a carrot.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Mushrooms were the last thing from outside the animal kingdom that I quit. I don't miss them even though I used to love them. Actually that's not entirely accurate, as I still drink coffee! Not sure I'll ever be able [or want] to quit my coffee :nailbiting:

They can take our lives, but they'll never take our coffee....

At least that's how I feel about coffee. It will remain firmly on the list of essential dietary requirements. Along with fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins and minerals of the same description.

M

Member496333

They can take our lives, but they'll never take our coffee....

At least that's how I feel about coffee. It will remain firmly on the list of essential dietary requirements. Along with fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins and minerals of the same description.

I may start mixing my collagen powder into my coffee. Essential nutrient innit...:nurse:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I may start mixing my collagen powder into my coffee. Essential nutrient innit...:nurse:

I have not considered that, I may try it..... I do add beef collagen to other drinks, so why not coffee?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of curiosity, for the steak eaters.... how much would you likely consume on average per steak based meal?

Probably around 250g or so, perhaps with an egg added if it’s my only meal of the day. Having said that I have a gigantic t-bone in the freezer which is definitely @bulkbiker sized - well over half a kilo. Looking forward to that one as the butcher won the best t-bone in London award.

Reactions: Tophat1900

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pfft. Says the bloke who cooks his steaks :wacky:

Fair comment! Just not sure our new neighbours who are coming for dinner tonight will appreciate me munching a raw steak so may have to try it another time...

M

Member496333

Fair comment! Just not sure our new neighbours who are coming for dinner tonight will appreciate me munching a raw steak so may have to try it another time...

Yeah. Raw fillets and a bowl of blood-soaked liver might be a tricky one in that situation :hilarious:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sous vide. I’ve just ordered a stick/wand version and wanted your tips and hints. What works for you? What cut of beef would you cook first? What’s your favourite ‘recipe’?

M

Member496333

Quitting coffee tomorrow to see how it goes for a while. It's currently my only vice and is starting to feel like a bit of an addiction if I'm honest with myself. So that's it now. Transition complete. 100% animals, and water.

Of course that's not to say I'll never deviate, but right now I'm still really enjoying this ultra-carnivore journey, and so far I still feel amazing :woot:

Ellenor2000

Carnivore data ahoy! In June I’m intending to go ubercarnivore with almost all of my food coming from animal sources. For now, I am going to be testing more frequently in order to get an idea whether or not my protein ingestion is resulting in a lot of insulin release. I intend to make sure that my ketone/glucose ratio stays as close to 1:1 as possible. If the ketones dip significantly then I’m probably eating too much lean muscle. By the way I’m talking about myself only - with a previous history of rampant GNG - and don't wish to debate the merits or downfalls of using protein for energy with regard to others :)

Measured just now, before breakfast in an hour or so;

Ketones 3.8mmol/L
Glucose 4.1mmol/L
look into suet maybe

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is this? A thinly disguised expletive isn't an actual expletive! Do the mods live in an alternate pre- WW2 universe where only men swear and never in the presence of 'ladies' ?

Actually Ian, the mod team occupy a small corner of the universe called the diabetes.co.uk forum. It is a place which is governed by a set of forum rules. These rules apply to every single person who signs up to the forum.

Some members find those rules restrictive, but if they wish to continue to post on the forum then they are required to comply, or face moderation.

As for whether a ‘thinly veiled’ expletive is an expletive or not... If a word is identifiable, it has exactly the same capacity to offend. Using ‘humorous’ rhyming slang, or the replacing of the odd letter with a ‘witty’ exclamation mark or two, doesn’t work around here. Offensive words break the forum rules and are subject to moderation. It is what we all signed up for.

There is, of course, a very simple way to avoid both causing offence and being offended at being moderated - simply choose words that won’t offend - and if anyone thinks they need to ‘veil’ what they are saying, then they would be best just choosing another word.

Reactions: urbanracer