Type 2 Gravy

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of my 90 second microwave bread has come out quite dumpling like (not deliberately but dumpling could be a good use for them :p

Reactions: Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana - In terms of making a very flavourful gravy, when I free-style recipes, I can be poor at seasoning well. I have found this vegetable stock paste to be excellent for adding a bang of flavour enhancer.

https://www.feistytapas.com/2017/02/homemade-vegetable-stock-paste-instantpot-thermomix/

I do have an Instant Pot but I feel positive it could be achieved by another cooking means, and although I do have a really strong blender, I usually blend it using our stick blender. It's just easier for a lazy person like me!

I think keep some in the fridge on a Kilner jar, and freeze the rest. I use a giant ice cube tray, a bit like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tovolo-King-Cube-Trays-Blue/dp/B00395FHRO , and with trial and error, I know whether I need 1 or 2 cubes, or whatever, for whatever I'm making.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana - In terms of making a very flavourful gravy, when I free-style recipes, I can be poor at seasoning well. I have found this vegetable stock paste to be excellent for adding a bang of flavour enhancer.

https://www.feistytapas.com/2017/02/homemade-vegetable-stock-paste-instantpot-thermomix/

I do have an Instant Pot but I feel positive it could be achieved by another cooking means, and although I do have a really strong blender, I usually blend it using our stick blender. It's just easier for a lazy person like me!

I think keep some in the fridge on a Kilner jar, and freeze the rest. I use a giant ice cube tray, a bit like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tovolo-King-Cube-Trays-Blue/dp/B00395FHRO , and with trial and error, I know whether I need 1 or 2 cubes, or whatever, for whatever I'm making.

Those Tovolo silicon ice trays look perfect for my pates! Thank you! Have ordered two.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

So that’s where you put gravy in to freeze?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So that’s where you put gravy in to freeze?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand your question.

When I make the veg stock paste, I freeze some of it, so bring a cube or two out to add to a recipe, as I would a shop bought recipe.

Any leftover gravy could also be frozen in those cubes, and brought out when required.

When whatever is in the tray is frozen, I decant the frozen cubes into a freezer bag, to free up the tray.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand your question.

When I make the veg stock paste, I freeze some of it, so bring a cube or two out to add to a recipe, as I would a shop bought recipe.

Any leftover gravy could also be frozen in those cubes, and brought out when required.

When whatever is in the tray is frozen, I decant the frozen cubes into a freezer bag, to free up the tray.

Ahh sorry!! Gotcha

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of my 90 second microwave bread has come out quite dumpling like (not deliberately but dumpling could be a good use for them :p
I've used this recipe as dumplings and it's a good sub, just make it as usual and pop it on the bowl of stew just before serving - it soaks up quickly so it's bst added just before eating.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

What’s the recipe for that?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Roughly an egg, a tablespoon almond flour and half teaspoon of baking powder is what I use, trying to recall if some cream cheese in it..... It’s all over the net so if you want variations (a bit of sweetener and a few berries or a bit of cheese and herbs etc)

Edit it’s a tablespoon of coconut or 3 of almond flour oops sorry.

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make mine from a recipe given to me on here by a member who I can't recall it may have been @Prem51 apologies if I'm wrong

A knob of butter melted add one beaten egg
3 level tablespoons of almond flour
1/2 level teaspoon of baking powder
If for savoury a bit of salt and black pepper
Mix well and microwave for 90 seconds.
Very versatile- the things I've used it for is

Cheese on toast
Eggs benedict
Bacon sandwich (sliced and toasted)
Anything on toast
Sweetened as a scone
Sweetened and berries added as a cake
Chocolate cake
Add any dried herbs for different flavours
Add grated cheese or Parmesan as a savoury scone
A roll with soup or stews
A dumpling
Cubed and dried out in the oven then drizzle with oil for croutons

It is one of my favourite go to recipes now

Reactions: Prem51

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I hadn’t googled. Didn’t think if it sorry.

But also because you guys are so knowledgable. It’s safer than me googling and getting it wrong
Hi - Cook off the excess water (which also concentrates flavour) by a boiling up without lid after removing meat/veg. you don't want overcooked to a warmed container. Sometimes I use a teaspoon of cornflour mixed with 20ml cold water to add to runny gravy and let it cook briefly, though it has a few carb's.

Reactions: Struma

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Just looking at doing my shopping and have ordered ingredients for @dkukmod paste and now thinking of ingredients for casserole.

Only thing is casseroles usually have bundles and oodles of veg. But we have to be careful because of carbs.

I’d normally have carrots swede turnip (potato but I know this is out) celeriac.

Is this all ok?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just looking at doing my shopping and have ordered ingredients for @dkukmod paste and now thinking of ingredients for casserole.

Only thing is casseroles usually have bundles and oodles of veg. But we have to be careful because of carbs.

I’d normally have carrots swede turnip (potato but I know this is out) celeriac.

Is this all ok?
Certainly OK in my world.

Having splurged on a cauldron (my pet name for the IP), you might want to consider joining the Facebook, Instant Pot UK group. There are soooooo many knowledgeable people on there, and lots of inventive cooks. They saved my skin loads of times when I wasn't sure what to do, or how to tackle some stuff.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Certainly OK in my world.

Having splurged on a cauldron (my pet name for the IP), you might want to consider joining the Facebook, Instant Pot UK group. There are soooooo many knowledgeable people on there, and lots of inventive cooks. They saved my skin loads of times when I wasn't sure what to do, or how to tackle some stuff.

Are there veg I should avoid?

Don’t want to have too many carbs but not quite sure how to eat veg without it being carbs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there veg I should avoid?

Don’t want to have too many carbs but not quite sure how to eat veg without it being carbs

From the veg you listed there, some would consider the carrots a bit carb heavy, but they're fine for me. For me. Each one of us has to set our own personal limits, which means what's works for one, won't for another.

We all have to find our own balance between eating for functional nutrition and full on hedonistic eating. For me, I need to enjoy my food. Aside from anything else we eat at the table 3 times a day, so I don't want to be sitting scowling at my food. We also want to be eating pretty much eating the same meal. MrB might have more carbs, and I'll likely have more veg, but the same meal.

Keep testing, but for these first few weeks without meds, set your upper target just a little higher, as your body adjusts. Our bodies do work miracles, but some are just not exactly instant.

Test, test, test.