What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
B=tea and water.
L= avocado and mackerel salad
tatser: 1 row choco loco Belgiun lowish carb chcolate 2.8 carbs
Ev= 2 x Cheesey skinny bread toast (parmesan inside, red fox on top), mashed avocado and 2 xpoached eggs; fage 5%, flaxseed, inulin and 10 cal jelly
@SlimLizzy good news on the Drs appointment and hope it proves helpful or, ideally, solves the problem
@ianpspurs your good wishes are appreciated

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Way behind again and on train WiFi so not caught up. At a conference in Cardiff today. Highlight of the day was being given a free cup of cocoa whip (cocoa and cream) in Hotel Chocolat. Makes for a very nice dessert. AND the buffet lunch at the conference had chicken wings with no carby bits, so having eaten a large precautionary breakfast of fried eggs and bacon at the hotel, I also enjoyed a decent lunch and Five Guys for dinner. I’ll come again!

View attachment 35745

I've never heard of the Cocoa Whip, but there are loads and loads online. I might make some of these frozen ones, for the rare time a pudding is required in this hacienda.

https://sprinklesomefun.com/frozen-chocolate-whips-low-carb-thm-s/

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never heard of the Cocoa Whip, but there are loads and loads online. I might make some of these frozen ones, for the rare time a pudding is required in this hacienda.

https://sprinklesomefun.com/frozen-chocolate-whips-low-carb-thm-s/

They use it on top of the hot chocolate (which I also had). I asked whether they sold the whip separately. They don’t, but the shop manager thought it was a good idea and gave me some free :D she also said that she’d do the same for anyone asking so anyone heading to Cardiff......

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am exhausted! Yesterday - bed 5.9 FBG 5.7. Didn't eat a lot yesterday as I was intent on getting ready to move everything today. Was Rug Doctoring the bedroom carpet at 7pm last night. Certainly was a lot of plaster dust came out of it. Started on the upstairs landing today but lots more carpet cleaning to go.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice skinny bread toasted with butter.
L. Nothing
D. Eventually - slice and a half of skinny bread toasted with pate pate (the half slice was because I didn't cut straight). 6 cherries and much later scoop of Grahams Goodness espresso LC ice cream with raspberries. A bit of DGF Millionaire shortbread.
A lot of water but last night in No 1's bedroom!

Today - bed 6.4 FBG 5.6. As usual boys were here for dinner after School and wanted TACOS so varied it a bit. First though there was the mega move back into our room. Furniture mover I am not, I could barely move by the time I headed back for school pick up.
B. TAG with ADOC. Managed to cut a last 2 slices of skinny bread which I had one with pate pate the other with aubergine pate.
L. Nothing - too busy all morning moving furniture, remaking bed and gradually restoring order.
D. Made Diet Doctor TACO shells. Very easy. Used a mix of grated mozzarella, cheddar and red leicester with some cumin. Pop mounds on a parchment lined baking tray and bake until browned and melted. I draped them over a wooden spoon to shape. Had 3 TACOS with home made chilli, salad, guacamole, sour cream and cheese. 10 cherries and a bit DGF millionaire shortbread (this time boxes made it to the freezer).

Can't find the little cushion pads. I recall putting them in a vacuum bag but I don't know where I put it. No doubt it will turn up. Otherwise we can return to our own room tonight thank goodness.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea and then went out with No1 son who had a doctor's appointment at 9 am, then took me to the supermarket. Back about 11.30 to find that the lady who does my floors had been and gone and the floors were all wet! Too chilly here to dry very quickly so I had to keep my shoes on to avoid getting wet feet. No1 son is being called in to various doctors very frequently at present - twice or 3 times a week - for tests and consultations to try to sort out his ills - so far with some success but some side effects of treatment.

Tea when we came in, with most of the day's pills. Then some more.

Lunch was a smoked mackerel cocktail - like prawn cocktail but with pieces of smoked mackerel instead of prawns. My own Marie-Rose sauce - mayonnaise, tomato puree, double cream and a dash of Worcester sauce with a little salt. I used to love seafood as a child when my mother used to buy shrimps or cockles by the pint in Macfisheries. I also used to love the little dishes of cockles in vinegar that we were treated to at the seaside. But I haven't been able to put prawns or lobster into my mouth for years. I don't know why, except they remind me of insects. Anyway crustacea are off the menu for me. Smoked mackerel makes a very good substitute in a "not prawn" cocktail.

I was doing well and then Em came in from school and wanted to make pancakes and this time I didn't resist the temptation - mostly because Dad arrived earlier than expected when I still had some of the batter left, so I had to use it up, didn't I? I didn't even bother to check BG - it was already high before the pancakes, for some reason (Marie-Rose sauce is relatively high in calories, but not in carbs, and there wasn't much of it in my little dish). Anyway, fell off the wagon and will have to do better tomorrow.

Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted sandwiches, onion and cheese this time as we are getting sick of cheese and onion all the time.
Dinner: Spicy seafood marinara, small portion of reheated pasta spirals.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary stuff, water.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea and then went out with No1 son who had a doctor's appointment at 9 am, then took me to the supermarket. Back about 11.30 to find that the lady who does my floors had been and gone and the floors were all wet! Too chilly here to dry very quickly so I had to keep my shoes on to avoid getting wet feet. No1 son is being called in to various doctors very frequently at present - twice or 3 times a week - for tests and consultations to try to sort out his ills - so far with some success but some side effects of treatment.

Tea when we came in, with most of the day's pills. Then some more.

Lunch was a smoked mackerel cocktail - like prawn cocktail but with pieces of smoked mackerel instead of prawns. My own Marie-Rose sauce - mayonnaise, tomato puree, double cream and a dash of Worcester sauce with a little salt. I used to love seafood as a child when my mother used to buy shrimps or cockles by the pint in Macfisheries. I also used to love the little dishes of cockles in vinegar that we were treated to at the seaside. But I haven't been able to put prawns or lobster into my mouth for years. I don't know why, except they remind me of insects. Anyway crustacea are off the menu for me. Smoked mackerel makes a very good substitute in a "not prawn" cocktail.

I was doing well and then Em came in from school and wanted to make pancakes and this time I didn't resist the temptation - mostly because Dad arrived earlier than expected when I still had some of the batter left, so I had to use it up, didn't I? I didn't even bother to check BG - it was already high before the pancakes, for some reason (Marie-Rose sauce is relatively high in calories, but not in carbs, and there wasn't much of it in my little dish). Anyway, fell off the wagon and will have to do better tomorrow.

PS I did check my BG before going to bed and it was 21.6! Ouch! It's down to 7.0 this morning though. Must be good today.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Saur,
We are all different and it depends upon low much carb you can tolerate, but Cashews have by far the highest carbs of any popular 'nut'. They have over 5 times as many as Brazil nuts and Pecans, 3 time Walnuts, as over twice as many as Almonds ro Pine nuts.

So they are on my list to avoid except as a very rare treat like chocolate.

Edited for link : Here is a link to the relevant DietDoctor web page: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts
It's worth checking those carby cashews as they contain resistant starch so may not spike you. There's an old thread about this and after previously avoiding them like the plague, I tried them and found I don't actually have any problem with them.

Here:-
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cashews.96370/#post-1082776

Robbity

Reactions: Brunneria

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Stayed up quite late last night was watching Netflix show unbelievable. I think it was based on a true story and saw the ending then went to bed but was still wired.... finally dosed off after 2.30am. I woke up at 4 to take my thyroid meds and dosed back to sleep next minute it was 11.45am okay I guess it is good I don't work. Had to do a calopraction test and bloods so did my sample and drive to clinic get bloods done as well. Thank Goodness they got a vein straight away normally takes them 2cto 4 attempts to get my veins or more so was happy and at least the blood test is covered by Medicare. Lucky didn't have to pay for calopraction test straight away but I will be getting a bill for $90 for the calopraction test.

Got home around 12.30pm so brunch I chopped up some ham and cooked with 2 fried eggs in ghee and some salad man gave me so much heartburn I'm trying to stop my Pantoprazole but took 40mg hopefully it kicks in. I even tried ACV.

Dinner I had some pork rashers defrosted in the fridge 2 days ago I better use them so baked them in oven and had them with with broccoli and beans. Desert I had some marscapone cheese that needed to be used so added some raw cooca some fresh cream to the marscapone cheese and blitz to make a mouse oh 1/4 teaspoon of honey.... Now I have more heartburn took another Pantoprazole as its really bad. I've tried ACV but it doesn't work on me. My heartburn has been so so on this WOE but still have issues I wish I could get off them though.
20190920_133235.jpeg

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Tea, water, reading then (2 hrs later) cheesey skinny bread toast with h/m chicken liver pate. Dog walk, 1 row chocologic Belgian chocolate. Julie insisted I watch the rugby. Lunch: cheesey skinny bread sandwich - red fox cheese and 1 small vine tomato. Latte in a supermarket - forget which one. Evening: Flaked salmon fillets, bean sprouts, mushrooms in a "fragrant and citrusy coconut and lemongrass sauce" - skin crisped and served separately. Missed bean sprouts and liked that sauce - it may appear again soon. Think I know why I feel hungrier and weight needs watching - will hopefully confirm on Monday

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems quiet here this evening!
Very busy day today for me so not a lot of food during the day.
Mid afternoon deliciously guilt free millionaire shortbread from freezer with a coffee with cream - needed a treat to keep me going!
Dinner sea bass with lemon butter, green beans and cauliflower cheese with glass dry white followed by sf jelly and spoon of yoghurt and cream. Planning a few squares of 100% choc with decaff coffee later.
Hoping to get back to normal with my three small meals routine tomorrow - suits me better. I did one meal a day on most days a couple of years ago, whilst still needing to lose lots of excess weight, but no longer find it easy at all, very hungry all day today despite being firmly in keto still - think it’s because I’m now firmly at the low end of my ideal weight so not much in reserve any more!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems quiet here this evening!
Very busy day today for me so not a lot of food during the day.
Mid afternoon deliciously guilt free millionaire shortbread from freezer with a coffee with cream - needed a treat to keep me going!
Dinner sea bass with lemon butter, green beans and cauliflower cheese with glass dry white followed by sf jelly and spoon of yoghurt and cream. Planning a few squares of 100% choc with decaff coffee later.
Hoping to get back to normal with my three small meals routine tomorrow - suits me better. I did one meal a day on most days a couple of years ago, whilst still needing to lose lots of excess weight, but no longer find it easy at all, very hungry all day today despite being firmly in keto still - think it’s because I’m now firmly at the low end of my ideal weight so not much in reserve any more!
Hope life becomes less stressful and eating pattern returns to normal soon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Only fluids until about 1.15 and then I had 2 rashers of bacon, 2 slices of black pudding and 2 fried eggs. Too much really, but I was hungry.

Em came briefly (Dad was off today, but had to rush to town for something on his bike) until Dad got back from town. She wanted to know what had happened to the remaining pancake batter - she wanted more pancakes. I had to confess to eating them myself. I couldn't have kept it until Saturday, when she is due to visit again. She's a forgiving soul. She made up for it by raiding the biscuit barrel for Jammie Dodgers.

Bit of a rush once she had gone, to get something for me to eat before going out to the kids' class. I would usually eat when I get back, but thought it would be best if I ate before going - about 4 hours before my normal meal. Bad idea. I had some more of the "not prawn cocktail" and I started feeling quite ill pretty soon but I felt I really needed to go because I missed last week, so I went. Then sat outside until my friend turned up and told her I was going home again. I got home just in time to get rid of what I had eaten and felt quite a lot better after that. Maybe I shouldn't have had mackerel 2 days running, or maybe not so early or perhaps it was the Marie Rose sauce. Don't know, but all the mackerel is gone anyway and I shan't have any more for a while. BG right now is 5.3, so that's OK.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers made from 1/2 slice of Burgen bread followed by Greek yoghurt, blackberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: cold garlic chicken with leafy salad, sweet pepper and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Will be having some dark chocolate nuts before bed as I have a blood test tomorrow but not til 11 o’clock, not sure if cholesterol is going to be included so need to fast just in case :wideyed:

Edit for typo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: herb scram eggs
L: 2 chunks of cheese in a garden centre. The cafe food there looked lovely, but there was NOTHING to suit a GF keto carnivore, so I went into the shop section where they had a cheese chiller.

Have to say, the shop was fab - for those interested in really good quality gourmet nibbles and booze.
I succumbed to a half bottle of sloe gin, which will be carefully rationed, and probably (with choc) provide the week’s carbs :D:D:D

Unfortunately, my small cheese lunch meant i was ravenous by the time we reached our destination. Ham (v salty), and 70% choc and then 4 hours later some excellent lamb chops.

The airfryer is half the size of the instant pot, so have brought that with us this hol. Those lamb chops were superb.

I have a feeling that eating this hol will be much more challenging that ever before, since I have previously adopted a ‘good enough’ attitude to both GF and v low carb when on hol. (Think 40g carbs a day instead of 10g)
This time, i don’t have that luxury. Now that I know exactly how much Gluten and even a few starchy carbs inflame my knees, I have no intention of reducing my mobility and enjoyment by setting up pain and inflammation.
Gonna be interesting.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
20-09-19
breakfast, nut granola, one slice of pain kapnor, half with avocado, rest with peanut butter
off outside its a beautifu lmorning with a cold wind.
coffee and biscuits ! had a few broken cantuccini
lunch, very late about 3pm, BBQ chicken, finished up the chicken livers as well, salad and coleslaw, green beans with vinagrette, dark chocolate ice cream, raspberry sorbet ( finishing it up) and cream, wine to drink. and water
coffee and tea
supper another piece of toasted pain kapnur, with peanut butter, greek yoghurt and raspberries. tea
Catching up on the work outside, but very tired tonight.
The builder is going to call in sometime over the w/e, so maybe he will be starting work soon.
MrSlim is being sensible most of the time. :angelic:
It helps that the rugby world cup has started, so he has some sitting down entertainment - he suggested getting up at 5.15 to watch the next match - hope he was joking - or should i set an alarm :D:hilarious:
Just checked my steps. Over 15k and that is all just around the house and garden.
Forgot to weigh this morning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Grilled reef fish ?¿?¿? and salad, couple of beers.
Dinner: Pork chops, veggies, mushroom gravy.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar, beer, water.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Tea, water, reading, rugby watching then, later cheesey skinny bread toast with h/m chicken liver pate. 2 rows chocologic Belgian chocolate. Lunch: Egg and avocado salad. Evening: Chicken stir fry, bean sprouts, mushrooms in fragrant and citrusy coconut and lemongrass sauce.