What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Buenas Dias Amigos. Just speed read the last couple of days. Have been too busy to post much and my FBGs have been early 7s for the past three mornings but come down to 5 in the afternoon as per usual. I am trying to be good though have succombed twice to one scoop of ice cream! Volumes of food and wine higher than usual probs the cause and it is very hot. Loving the time with the family and cant believe tomorrow is our last day. @SaskiaKC hope you have had a nice day and happy birthday to the KC. Hugs and purrs. @gennepher lovely heartwarming story about breakfast with your friend. No one here will swap chips for salad, I just order the salad extra and give my chips bar 6 to OH. @ianpspurs please dont stress about your higher FBG I think as others have suggested your body is readjusting from recent trauma. @Debandez you are unstoppable in your quest to help folk manage D better. Respect to you and Eric. @Bubbsie loving the stories about Frankie.
Hope you are all doing good. Normal service will be resumed at the weekend.
Stay well, stay safe.

Thank you @PenguinMum
Glad you are enjoying your hols.
Not very good when you are not allowed to have the food you need.
Take care.

Reactions: HarryBeau

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Litany against fear:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

― Frank Herbert, Dune

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No idea about “put your hands behind your back” - “get your coat’ - leave now - urgently.

I assumed it was Morse or Barnaby's way of saying what in NYC or LA would translate as "Put your hands behind your back" before the cuffs click into place. :nailbiting:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Litany against fear:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

― Frank Herbert, Dune
Love this dunelm x

Reactions: gennepher

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Pleased for you that your fbg is lowest for a while and full of admiration that with everything going on in your life you still find time to volunteer. There are some amazing people on this forum.
Our voluntary work only affects one day per week, ianpspurs and doesn't interfere with visits to mum. To be honest it helps to bring some balance for us-- being able to make a positive difference to people's lives if only in a small way. I agree with you that there are indeed some amazing people on here.:joyful:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
@ianpspurs thanks! I said good(ish) because I was quite happy with my 4-6 readings coming from the libre, bot the truth of 5-8 does kinda motivate me to get better control than I thought I had.

Today’s beading is more triangles for the pudding. Yesterday I didn’t work on the pudding, just finished my white ditties bracelet at my grans care home. Kinda a tough visit, she didn’t realise her birthday was coming up, and she threw a paddy that her birthday card had nan on it. It’s what she’s always been called, I asked her if she would have liked grandma on it (she’s always hated it) she said she’s not a grandmother, never even had kids! And there’s no way she’s 85! But she liked the bracelet.

P.s. as I was leaving I heard her showing the bracelet to a carer, “do you like my bracelet, my granddaughter made it for me” :banghead::banghead:
I can totally relate to your visit with your nan, Fndwheelie. It sounds very similar to my visits with mum. Bless 'em! Best wishes.:)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ney not that anyone may be interested but I think my higher BG may be down to feeicious mosquito bites rather than anything elee.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ney not that anyone may be interested but I think my higher BG may be down to feeicious mosquito bites rather than anything elee.
Ouch!

upload_2019-9-19_23-58-36.gif

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Litany against fear:

― Frank Herbert, Dune

Nice quote.
Great book
Film wasn't half bad either.

@SaskiaKC
@Debandez post where she was worried about them dragging her off the TV show with a shepherds hook, probably describes it best

Odd how the simple things we on each side take fur granted, can slightly mystify on the other side of the pond

I remember Somone saying they had met a friend and just shooted the breeze...???
Finally found out is was just chatting, catching up on home etc

@PenguinMum .
So lovely to hear you"ve had a fantastic time X
has been said what is a holiday if you can't cut loose a little bit

Hope your tanned and refreshed.. Does pass so quickly though.

@karen8967 ..THAT has never seemed more apt
Nicely posted .. Hope your fbg are a bit more settled today. X

@ianpspurs @gennepher I think nailed it, major trauma, and your now recovering.. Add in the after effects or current of other medications, and that all surely has an impact of your normally marvellous balance of BG levels

@Bubbsie .. Lovely dog, but blimey intense or what
He seems to eat better then I do ..lol
No time to break him of his naughty little ways, so I assume your sucking it up, and just enjoying the pleasure our furry friend over us

Our stay street cat, came to visit tonight.
I have been cleaning and rearranging Stephs old room...I was cream crackered, so lay down on bed while cat roamed inspecting everything after her little cat treats we gave her

She popped up on bed and curled up in my lap.
Didn't have the heart or inclination to move her, but being still, sent me drifting off to sleep
It was only Lauren, oohhing when she came looking for me, that woke me, cat still asleep on me...aww XXX

330 am.. Sat here in bed trying NOT to get up
Until a much more acceptable and civilised time . But losting the battle I fear.

Joy and love to all, on this final work day of the week, for many.

Bring on the day

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher
Just wanted to say, what a lovely thing your friend did.
Far too often we pay some attention but just move on with our day and expect others to do as well.. Nice when someone, as she obviously did, puts themselves out BECAUSE they actually listened and took on board when you explained your needs re food . Nice, thoughtful gesture.

Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Awake nearly all night. But decided to stay in bed until gone 4 am.

Just done my fasting blood glucose.
Shock. For me.
I have never had a reading as low as the 5’s yet. In four years (?) of taking readings.

It appears to be mainly the very low carbs (under 20 carbs) that is doing it. Probably a few other lifestyle things help too.

A friend had a car accident yesterday on the way to our art group. The person in front of her suddenly did a dead stop, as she was turning left but didn’t indicate. So friend’s bonnet was concertina’d. Her’s was a brand new car. The other car was an old car and very little damage on the boot. A couple of dents. Friend took photos. Also it was obvious from friend’s photos one of this person’s back tyres was low.

It happened at turn we all at the art group take in our cars to get to art group. So it could have happened to any one of us.

Friend was okay. Obviously badly shocked. So art group didn’t exactly take place for art. And driving home, I am uncomfortably very aware of the other cars on the road. I just went to sleep a few hours when I got home. Maybe that is part why I couldn’t sleep last night. I don’t have to go out today, so cat Popeye will ‘make’ me catch up on sleep.

I suppose I was thinking, and we all were at art group as well, how things can change in an instant.

There are clear night skies, and sprinkled stars out there. Sun is supposed to be blazing again like yesterday, so I am going to make a coffee now and go and sit on my thatched swing when it is dawn. Actually I might go out now. There is little light pollution here, and I love watching the night sky.

Have a good day.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher
Just wanted to say, what a lovely thing your friend did.
Far too often we pay some attention but just move on with our day and expect others to do as well.. Nice when someone, as she obviously did, puts themselves out BECAUSE they actually listened and took on board when you explained your needs re food . Nice, thoughtful gesture.

Thank you @jjraak
Yes it was a beautiful gesture.
It gave me more confidence (I do have confidence usually anyway), but it gave me more, and that this food issue eating out wasn’t such a big deal that day. She took a load off my shoulders.
It lightened the rest of the day tremendously.
And I really enjoyed that meal!

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our stay street cat, came to visit tonight.
I have been cleaning and rearranging Stephs old room...I was cream crackered, so lay down on bed while cat roamed inspecting everything after her little cat treats we gave her

She popped up on bed and curled up in my lap.
Didn't have the heart or inclination to move her, but being still, sent me drifting off to sleep
It was only Lauren, oohhing when she came looking for me, that woke me, cat still asleep on me...aww XXX

330 am.. Sat here in bed trying NOT to get up
Until a much more acceptable and civilised time . But losting the battle I fear.

Joy and love to all, on this final work day of the week, for many.

Bring on the day

I love your little stray street cat sending you to sleep. Makes me smile :)

Popeye will do that to me later today.
Enjoy the day.
>^..^<

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak what a lovely story about you and the neighbor kitty. :) He definitely knows which side his paws are buttered on and he sounds like a very good neighbor. Now we need pics.

Thank you for explaining about the coat phrase. As to being cream crackered, it took me a second look, and then I twigged (is that the right word?)

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can totally relate to your visit with your nan, Fndwheelie. It sounds very similar to my visits with mum. Bless 'em! Best wishes.:)
Nan doesn’t have a diagnosis of dementia, if we ask the care staff she’s fine with them, very switched on and she remembers everything. But to family she’s very manipulative, she’s been playing us against each other for years. Just after we moved her into the home she called in one of her female carers for a ‘talk’, she explained in detail how she was having an affair with this woman’s husband (also a carer there) and they were going to be setting up home together. She tells us how she regularly has a (different) man come to visit her through the window to keep a secret from the staff there. For Christmas we do our family meal at the pub on Christmas Eve lunchtime, back to mine for presents, then Christmas Day is free for everyone to go their own way. Last year at the end of it she threw a temper tantrum because she was going back to the care home and not staying at someone’s home ready for Christmas Day. Started saying some really nasty things about all of us. So when mum got her back to the care home, (considering it usually takes her 5 minutes to stand up with assistance and sit in her wheelchair), in the time it took the staff to answer the front door my grandmother had extracted herself from the car, was practically running and had gotten halfway down the very long driveway to ‘throw herself in front of a bus because no one loved her’. It took staff 45 minutes to get her inside after my parents left. :D :hilarious: :banghead:

My fasting number this morning was 4.9, no hypo according to tomato, but libre alone had me in the red all night. Starting to loose faith in the libre app I think.

Beading: I managed a measly 1 triangle yesterday, really need to up my game and get my posterior in gear.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and a 5.2 today and what a glorious day it is too

Returning from a gig in deepest Shropshire last night there was a deep orange harvest moon low on the horizon and wisps of mist floating ghostly across the fields a wonderful end to a long day.

Today is a day of helping my son sort with his Cottage and garden.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely dog, but blimey intense or what
He seems to eat better then I do ..lol
No time to break him of his naughty little ways, so I assume your sucking it up, and just enjoying the pleasure our furry friend over us
I am jjraak...he is going home either today or tomorrow morning...my friends are coming back from Germany today...his 'dad' who created his diet treats him like his third child (the son he never had) so will want him home ASAP...they live in Poplar so he's definitely a city dog...here he's been out in the garden digging....helping me with the hedge cuttings (mostly stealing them for a chew)… eaten the cats food & cream when he got the opportunity...chased Churchill a couple of times (Churchill is very philosophical about it)… I will miss him when he goes home but after an intensive five days with Frankie I am ready for a rest.

Reactions: geefull