Keep getting told by people that I can get rid of Diabetes Type one

carol50

Spoken to a few people about this and it's really is beginning to annoy me. The news of course doesn't help as they keep writing rubbish about diabetes. My thoughts are he who knows it feels it. I have had diabetes type one for 29 years and all of a sudden I can be cured and get off insulin. What rubbish and it saddens me that people are spreading this utter rubbish around

M

Member496333

I don’t disagree and definitely wouldn’t make a case for it, but playing devil’s advocate for a moment, it wasn’t all that long ago that we all thought the same thing about type 2. Earth was once also flat and the Sun went around it.

For absolute clarity I am NOT lending credence to any ideas about reversing T1, but I do believe that, as with all things, we should keep an open mind as to what may lie ahead. Never say never. No one knows what’s around the corner, and human history is littered with examples of revelations that we now assume have always been fact.

I’m fully expecting to be flamed for this post, so I will not respond to the inevitable backlash from some. Peace and goodwill.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate, recently there was a guy on social media saying type 1s don’t need insulin and all we need is exercise. I’m like well I must be doing something wrong then because I’ve been injecting insulin for a long time. While I’m open to the idea of different diets to make blood glucose more manageable or making mental health more manageable, we’ll still need insulin no matter what.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t disagree and definitely wouldn’t make a case for it, but playing devil’s advocate for a moment, it wasn’t all that long ago that we all thought the same thing about type 2. Earth was once also flat and the Sun went around it.

For absolute clarity I am NOT lending credence to any ideas about reversing T1, but I do believe that, as with all things, we should keep an open mind as to what may lie ahead. Never say never. No one knows what’s around the corner, and human history is littered with examples of revelations that we now assume have always been fact.

I’m fully expecting to be flamed for this post, so I will not respond to the inevitable backlash from some. Peace and goodwill.

I agree with your points, but at the moment we have no method of reversal, in the future who knows, but that's the case for any illness really. I think what the OP is referring to is people (who know little about diabetes and the differences) saying type 1 can be reversed with type 2 methods, which is not currently true.

M

Member496333

I agree with your points, but at the moment we have no method of reversal, in the future who knows, but that's the case for any illness really. I think what the OP is referring to is people (who know little about diabetes and the differences) saying type 1 can be reversed with type 2 methods, which is not currently true.

Indeed. No argument from me there, and I can see where the frustration comes from.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Oh my.....
Time for me to jump up and down AGAIN

Type 1 cannot be reversed. A post has been put up a few times on here, I am not going to go find it and link it as it is bs!
@carol50 I am so glad you also see it as rubbish. As for a newly diagnosed type 1 it is giving very false info.

@Jim Lahey what may lie ahead......I am glad you reversed your type 2....BUT we cannot see the future and we are actually living with this bs disease and do not need to be told you can reverse it. 48 years type 1 here, and was told 48 years ago that there would be a cure!!!! AND told every 10 years since, so you can see my pessimism.
RANT over............good day all :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Dodo

carol50

Jim Type Two is very much a different condition to Type one. Type 2 Diabetic's still produce insulin and Type one don't I live a healthy life style, and think I am myself a very opened minded person but not at the expense of my Type one

M

Member496333

For clarity, I am very well aware of the current situation, and I understand the point of the opening post. I'm merely adding that, whilst I understand the frustrations, it can't hurt for there to be conversations out there about the possibilities. This is how things change, after all.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jim Type Two is very much a different condition to Type one. Type 2 Diabetic's still produce insulin and Type one don't I live a healthy life style, and think I am myself a very opened minded person but not at the expense of my Type one
I agree with Jim's general point about the fact that medical orthodoxy can be proven wrong but believe that your issue stems from the public misunderstanding of what kind of diabetes you have. When I was young people got that I was type 1 on insulin but now I am middle aged people seem to be confused as to what type I am or will make an assumption based on my size. I also met a type 2 at a Diab Uk event who revealed to me that he had become a type 1 recently by which he meant he now had to inject!
It is frustrating to have a condition which is not currently reversible when as you say, there is a lot of publicity about the reversibility of type 2s and I am envious that they have that option.
It is very encouraging that people are reading their Sun/Daily Mail etc. and getting that message because that is where 90% of the diabetes and maybe 70% of the costs are.
In the meantime there is promising new tech (closed loop systems) and new medicine (beta cell transplants for example). Personally I have lived through glass syringues and urine testing through to being on a pump with fsl in the last nearly 40 years.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been told today that some patients are being offered insulin cell implants, it’s effective but temporary. In the medical world, it will be interesting to see more closed loop systems, CGMs, sensors, non intrusive blood testing - oh I’m opened to the ideas of those and intrigued. But when it comes to being told to drink herbs to cure type 1, I sigh and move on.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s bad enough when members of the public who know nothing about the subject spout stuff they’ve seen in the media about curing diabetes, but long-termers on the forum really should know better, especially when their own specific diabetes has actually proved to be reversible. Why taunt people who have what is essentially organ failure? I honestly don’t understand that mentality. At least the uninformed person probably has good intentions when they say what they do.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read @Jim Lahey 's post as an attempt to be sympathetic to your frustrations as a Type 1, and point to maybe a future when you are cured, whole recognising that that time is not yet.

For absolute clarity I am NOT lending credence to any ideas about reversing T1, but I do believe that, as with all things, we should keep an open mind as to what may lie ahead.
he said.

It may have gone down like a ton of lead, but it seems to me to be trying to be encouraging type 1's that maybe something in the future may help. Nothing malicious.

Goodness knows I often have issues with what he posts, but this time I think the anger is misplaced.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Reversing Type 1 :rolleyes: I wish. I cannot live without Insulin and I cannot even eat scrambled eggs and bacon without taking Insulin and that is technically not carbohydrates.
We are constantly told a cure, of some sort, is just around the corner, I was told 30 years ago, a cure will be found ( not a reversal) within a few years with research and funding, I have been keeping an open mind regarding type 1 for decades.
When I get the euphoric news from my Diabetes team or News at Ten, only then, will I have real hope for a possible future without Insulin.
Just to add, extracts I have posted before regarding diabetes management from my mum's Nursing book, back in 1910/20, a low carb diet was recommended, but patients eventually wasted away and died.
Edited

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spot on @Mel dCP .
In my opinion reversing means going back to where you previously was.
Granted there are “ long termers “ who have reversed their HbA1C or even bettered previous levels. Have they actually reversed their condition? No , obviously not. They have had to make lifestyle changes. Somewhat like having to take daily medication they now follow a different lifestyle in order to maintain levels they desire. That’s not reversing, that’s changing direction.
And some pretty drastic changes of direction from what we see posted.
In order to “ reverse” type 1 diabetes you have to cure it. No restrictions, no limitations. When and if they find a way to give me a pancreas that produces insulin as and when I need it in the amounts I need it without any external input from me then I’ll consider myself cured.
Far to many non type 1’s think our condition is just a numbers game. Thankfully we know far more and understand far better.