Good Beginning

Lynn O

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a week of going low carb I have lost 2lb, 1.5 inches off my waist and my energy levels are starting to rise. I decided not to limit calories and have eaten quite a lot of high fat food as I wanted to break the carb habit before taking things any further. Now I am starting to stop wanting crisps, bread, potatoes etc I may need to reduce the calories but all in all I'm happy with the start.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
After a week of going low carb I have lost 2lb, 1.5 inches off my waist and my energy levels are starting to rise. I decided not to limit calories and have eaten quite a lot of high fat food as I wanted to break the carb habit before taking things any further. Now I am starting to stop wanting crisps, bread, potatoes etc I may need to reduce the calories but all in all I'm happy with the start.

Hi Lynn O,
Very similar to my start on LCHF. Its a very good start. I hope you have some family or Health Care Professional(s) on-side, otherwise it can get quite hard to make it permanent, which it needs to be since this is really a lifestyle thing because if you go back to carbs like before both weight and high Blood Glucose will return.

Do you have a Blood Glucose Meter? If not, get one because it is very useful both for testing what you can and can't eat plus it is very good for getting family on-side when they see the spikes that a 'normal' meal produces in a diabetic.

Reactions: jjraak

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Well done @Lynn O Don't get upset if the weight loss does not continue at the same rate. I've lost 35 lbs in a year and now I am reducing at about 5lbs in 2 to 3 months though I don't want to lose much more. I am now where I was over 50 years ago trying to put weight on to play rugby at school! You don't say what your A1cs are and the target of all T2s is to get this official measure of our condition back into a normal range. The low carb diet is the only natural way to do this that I have heard of. I have not gone high fat though this is usually higher than the carbs but I also exercise a lot as this helps use up the calories.

Reactions: jjraak

Lynn O

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the positive feedback. I don't know my numbers yet but am due an annual review in the next month and will try to get the information out of my GP. The higher fat is to keep me feeling full while I learn the difference between genuine hunger and carb cravings.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Lynn O

fantastic start.. out of the traps and running day one..5 star.

great weight loss and liking the attitude..i think you've got this Lynn.:)

might i just add, i read somewhere hunger is like a small whiny child
constantly wanting your attention.
usually you can ignore it, but now and again the calls is merited and you have to pay attention.

to do that i copied the advice to drink a glass of water and wait 15-30 mins before deciding if its a genuine need or just feeling peckish.
usually i can push back the 'Bite' for an hour or more
and by then i've forgotten i was hungry and just plan for my normal meal time.

took me a good while to get there, but they were some of the tricks that others offered me
that helped me get there.

A Great start.
good luck on the rest of the journey.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Thanks for the positive feedback. I don't know my numbers yet but am due an annual review in the next month and will try to get the information out of my GP. The higher fat is to keep me feeling full while I learn the difference between genuine hunger and carb cravings.
I don't think your GP is allowed to stop you having information relevant to your condition. Make sure you get it so that you can effectively monitor how, how much and how fast you are succeeding - because you can and will.