What is the rate of glucose uptake in a human cell?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

How many mg of glucose are uptaken by one cell per minute?

Thanks!

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't think anybody knows this answer, and pretty sure it would be different for everyone based on a range of factors.

Probably would be easier to work out the carbohydrate absorption rate (i.e 35g/hour)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This would I suppose depend very much on the levels of insulin and of insulin resistance. The rate of activity would also be a factor.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin resistance as mentioned above would be the main factor I think, which is different in everybody and is also effected by how fit someone is.....the more fit, the larger the muscles, the more sensitive they are to the insulin, which is essentially the key used to move the glucose from the blood stream into the cells....

I suppose there may have been lab tests done to ascertain such speed....but it would be almost impossible to get a standard value in situ...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

How many mg of glucose are uptaken by one cell per minute?

Thanks!
I don't know but as the human body has around 37 trillion cells it is going to be a small amount per cell.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Age of the cell host too. Organ transplant service use to only want youthful organs/cells but due to demand any aged organs as long as are healthy are transplanted..... Until the printer made one's are tried and tested.

I hope I see that technology saving lives. I'd love it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
well in my case I think it's about and I wouldn't swear to this but a rough approximation would be somewhere in the region of about a zintilionth of a decilitre per half a nano second but as I say I am totaly unsure as to the veracity of that guesstimation .

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a great question. But still remains unanswered...

But from my own N=1 observation. Without any aid or activities, glucose clearance is around 1 mmol/hr.

So a 4 mmol spike takes around 4 hours to go back to baseline.

But with tea/excercise etc the glucose clearance can be significantly increased... up to 6 mmol/hr...

upload_2019-9-20_17-12-0.png

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As there are about 14 different GLUT proteins all acting in a slightly different way and having a different action depending on which type of cell being acted on and the rate of glucose transportation across cell membranes varying depending on a variety of factors a definitive answer would be very difficult to give.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks but there are many Glucose Uptake measurement kits sold and they have calculated in numerous situations (e.g. cancer cells etc) and I just need some values, any hint?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thanks but there are many Glucose Uptake measurement kits sold and they have calculated in numerous situations (e.g. cancer cells etc) and I just need some values, any hint?

Of course you are correct and one would only cost you about £700 pounds then all you would need is a microplate reader and a fully equipped lab in your basement or else where.

As I have non of those I'm afraid I can not help you.

But just in case here is an example assay protocol for you to follow.

Glucose uptake assay protocol summary:
- prepare cells with suitable glucose starvation / uptake stimulation depending on experimental set-up
- add 2-DG to cells and incubate for 20 mins at 37ºC
- wash cells with PBS to remove exogenous 2-DG
- lyse cells with extraction buffer and repeated pipetting
- freeze/thaw lysates and heat at 85ºC for 40 min
- cool on ice for 5 min
- add neutralizing buffer, spin and transfer supernatant to new tubes
- add supernatants and standards to wells
- add reaction mix A and incubate for 1 hr at 37ºC
- add extraction buffer and heat to 90ºC for 40 min
- cool on ice for 5 min and add neutralizing buffer
- add reaction mix B
- analyze every 2-3 mins on microplate reader in kinetic mode at 37ºC

:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What type of human cell?

Glucose uptake is going to vary tremendously depending on what type of cell (brain? Blood? Gut lining? Active muscle? Resting muscle? Fat cell? Brown? White? Skin cell?) and how hard it is working at the time. Basal metabolic rate, age and general health are bound to factor in, too.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any human cell would give me an indication.

I suppose there much be somewhere published some data!

I looked but I could find some numbers per mg of cell protein or others that it was not possible to convert it to mg/sec per cell.

I appreciate it varies alot but there must be some indicative numbers, I would go for the maximum rate though.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any human cell would give me an indication.

I suppose there much be somewhere published some data!

I looked but I could find some numbers per mg of cell protein or others that it was not possible to convert it to mg/sec per cell.

I appreciate it varies alot but there must be some indicative numbers, I would go for the maximum rate though.
Why do you need to know?