Foot injuries

Cd-astro

So since its now become relevant. I was wondering how people deal with foot injuries...like say you were accident prone and managed to have a door slice into the back of your heel like I just have what is your go to procedure?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it depends very much on a couple of things what the best course of action is.
If you have nerve damage in your feet so you don't feel exactly what's going on with your feet - doctor.
If your feet are fine but you tend to have higher blood glucose levels, be careful, as that slows healing, increasing the risk of infection.
If the blood flow in your feet is compromised, higher risk as well.
If it looks or feels like something might be wrong (possible broken bones, nerves or tendons damaged from the injury, needing stitches) obviously doctor, with or without diabetes.
If in any doubt, now or in the next days, or if you show any signs of infection - doctor. You only have 2 feet, and very useful things they are too!

Hope it'll heal quickly, and don't trust those pesky doors!

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don’t think it needs hospital treatment and dress it yourself, if after the weekend you think it’s not healing as it should you could try getting a nurses appointment at your gp surgery. (Their appointments are usually more available and quicker to get) They regularly deal with wound dressing, and if they think it needs to be seen by a doctor they often go call one into look there and then.

Reactions: NinaB73 and Antje77

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say sliced, do you mean a graze or a proper gash? I am the queen of accidents and there isn't much I haven't done to my feet and ankles!! So you have my sympathy! But if it were a deep wound I would definitely go and see someone and get it checked over! Healing (excuse the pun:happy:) could be problematic otherwise. If you are worried then get it checked! But as others have said your doctor or probably more often, practice nurse could take a look.

Cd-astro

Proper gash unfortunately. I have santised and dressed with gauze ect. But from what I gather if its not doing okay after the weekend then I should go see someone.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Proper gash unfortunately. I have santised and dressed with gauze ect. But from what I gather if its not doing okay after the weekend then I should go see someone.
If you suspect it may need stitches, go today. Thay can't stitch anymore after the weekend.
If you don't think it needs stitches, keep an eye on it.