GP said it can take more than two years to get normal glucose levels.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you do exercises? Even if it's just 20 - 30 minutes of brisk walking?
Hi Angustia, I do try to walk for 40 minutes a day but I have not managed to be consistent about it. I need to recommit to an exercise plan.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Swiggy. I lost some weight with Keto low carb and reduced my Hba1c 42 but put it back on as fount hard to maintain and then could lose the weight. Then I saw the Thrive series with Jon MacMahon in the US who lost 100 pounds in a year and decided try his method for his 6 weeks trial. It worked and I have now lost 20lbs. need to lose another 20! Dr Furhman from the US (who Jon followed) said forget abut the numbers and get the weight off because that is causing the diabetes.(It is the fat around the pancreas).. SO you have done a great job so far.. Keep it up. There is a lot of great stuff coming from the States. Check on you tube.. Dr Joel Furhman, Mastering Diabetes with Cyrus and Robbie (two Type 1 diabetes guys who also help with type 2). Love you member picture!!!
Thanks Wellperson, I will definitely have a look at this, I hope you manage to get your hba1c level and weight back down again. Al is a beautiful tabby cat who decided to adopt me many years ago.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped weighing myself when I reached 264lb, on the way up, and am over 3 stone less than that now, and continue to lose inches even though my weight seems stable. I have less of an equator more a waistline these days and have had to remake or dispose of clothes due to my changing shape.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Three thinks that may speed up process (in addition to very low carb)
  • Metformin, don't think of it as taking a drug for life, think of it as an option to get faster improvements. Most people don't get side effects for more then a few days provided they start with a low dose, take it with food, and slowly increase the dose.
  • Resistance training to build muscle and hence reduce long term inslin resistance, I like the method in the "Body by Science" book.
  • HIIT to remove gloygen from muscles and hence reduce inslin resistance over the next day or two..
  • (Resistance training can be done as HIIT to get the most benefits)

Reactions: Speedbird

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three thinks that may speed up process (in addition to very low carb)
  • Metformin, don't think of it as taking a drug for life, think of it as an option to get faster improvements. Most people don't get side effects for more then a few days provided they start with a low dose, take it with food, and slowly increase the dose.
  • Resistance training to build muscle and hence reduce long term inslin resistance, I like the method in the "Body by Science" book.
  • HIIT to remove gloygen from muscles and hence reduce inslin resistance over the next day or two..
  • (Resistance training can be done as HIIT to get the most benefits)

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ringi, I will get the results of my blood tests on Friday and will discuss with my GP. I felt very deflated on Thursday but hearing from forum members has made me feel much more positive about my reducing hba1c levels and the fact that I am sustaining these improvements.