Blood sugar monitor for use by one hand?

Rdgfootyfan

Hello,
Does anyone know of a blood sugar monitor that can be operated using one hand? Hubby has badly broken his right arm and can no longer operate his BS testing kit. I've been testing him, but it would be great if he could find a testing kit that he could use only with his left hand.
Thank you.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about a Libre while he heals? Once applied (every 14 days) scan it with a phone that has NFC (near field communication) a couple of finger prick tests every now and then will give an idea of how different from his metre it runs.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just tried, and although it was a bit of a hassle I found it doable to test one handed with my non dominant hand. The biggest problem was opening the zipper of the little case, but you can leave it unzipped.
I have a very simple meter (CareSens Premier, but it would have worked with the other 2 meters I've used as well). The tub of test strips has a little thingy sticking out of the lid which you can push with your thumb while holding it in the same hand. I used the finger pricker in the same way, it was easier than I thought.
For pushing the strip in the machine I found holding the meter in my lap worked a lot better than putting it on the table.
So perhaps, with some practice your husband can manage as well if no one knows of a one handed meter.

All the best for the both of you, I hope the am will be as good as new shortly!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just stood the meter upright in my coffee mug to have the slot available - had to hold the stabber between my teeth to prime it, but a bit of improvisation seems to overcome the problems.

Reactions: Struma and Antje77

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I’ve never used it there is I believe a metre that has cassettes/drums of test strips and lancets preloaded in one device. If he can hold the device in his left hand and stab his fingers on the right hand it maybe a possibility if you load it then your husband can do the tests and have you reload it when needed.

I’m off to google for this now to see I’m not going mad and making things up.

Edit: https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/mobile although claiming I’m not crazy may be a stretch I did find it.

D

Deleted member 308541

I just tried getting a strip out of Abbott strip container one handed, it's impossible without playing fifty strip pick up. :meh:

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just tried getting a strip out of Abbott strip container one handed, it's plurry impossible without playing fifty strip pick up. :meh:
I sometimes struggle getting one strip out the pot with 2 hands when the pots rather full.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello,
Does anyone know of a blood sugar monitor that can be operated using one hand? Hubby has badly broken his right arm and can no longer operate his BS testing kit. I've been testing him, but it would be great if he could find a testing kit that he could use only with his left hand.
Thank you.

Hi, when I broke my wrist, I smashed it. It was very, very difficult at times, BG testing. dialing up Insulin etc, even getting dressed. But I found using my knees to hold onto something, my pen and dialing up Insulin for example was a help, I also used my teeth, even my head or feet to apply pressure to the item and this went on for months.
I hope your hubby makes a good recovery.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just tried getting a strip out of Abbott strip container one handed, it's plurry impossible without playing fifty strip pick up. :meh:
But you could put a couple of strips for the day in a matchbox or such, solving the problem of the one handed pot opening.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I’ve never used it there is I believe a metre that has cassettes/drums of test strips and lancets preloaded in one device. If he can hold the device in his left hand and stab his fingers on the right hand it maybe a possibility if you load it then your husband can do the tests and have you reload it when needed.

I’m off to google for this now to see I’m not going mad and making things up.

Edit: https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/mobile although claiming I’m not crazy may be a stretch I did find it.
Accuchek Mobile. I’ve just double checked and can do it one handed quite easily.

D

Deleted member 308541

But you could put a couple of strips for the day in a matchbox or such, solving the problem of the one handed pot opening.
I can work out a way to do it if I wanted / needed to,

I get some inspiration from one the lady bowlers who is partially paralysed in the her left arm and can tie here bowls shoe laces up one handed.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's possible to get mini clamps with bendy arms that have a gripping tool which might do for holding husband's test strips pot or meter. It must be a common disability issue and I expect there are more specific tools/aids, but I found this on Amazon which is the sort of thing I mean (though this one's made for holding baby monitors):
9b774cd7-d5e8-479e-9568-58ca90c284b1._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexi-Univ...s=flexible+grip+clamp&qid=1569017532&sr=8-102

But like @Robinredbreast, I used other parts of my body to grip or hold onto things when I had a minor operation on my hand - though I only had to manage for a few days. It's blooming awkward but definitely doable!

Robbity

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm, a tricky one, but as a female that loves doing her nails, one hand blood testing had to be used so one hand could dry first. I have big thick thighs so I would stick my blood meter in between them with the strip inserter facing up. If you test strips come in those plastic pots, you open the lid and shake or tip the strips gently into the plastic lid, usually three comes out at once, then you pick one up and stick it in the meter. Then when you tip the pot back, the strips will fall back in when you close the lid. As for the finger pricker, if it’s the drag and push a button type, you use your thighs to hold to pull it back, then lay it flat on the desk, you should be able to use your fingers to hold it in place, with your finger pad that you are using and push the button. It might be tricky, but it does work. However freestyle libre might be useful until he recovers fully.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although all these ideas for one handed finger prick tests, rely heavily on the assumption your hubby can prick the fingers on his broken arm. That they aren’t covered by a cast/bandages or too painful to put in a position to give easy access to the finger tips. If that is the case I’m not sure how he would manage. TBH the libre would need to be placed on the upper arm of his broken arm which couldn’t be done if the cast/bandages were there. I think I have seen a couple of posts where people have mentioned putting the sensor on their chest or upper leg, but I’m not quite sure how successful that is.

Rdgfootyfan

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and ideas. They're very helpful. Hubby's arm break is in the shoulder joint and is extremely painful. Hence the need to immobilise right/dominant arm. Waiting for an op for a partial shoulder replacement. At least I have learnt how to operate his BG testing kit. Best wishes to everyone.

D

Deleted member 308541

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As has been said one of the main selling points of the Accu-Chek Mobile is the relative ease of one handed operation. I have managed it with either hand on occasion.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many of us have tried doing a one handed test since this post?! I did a test using my non dominant hand and mouth to manoeuvre the meter, lancet etc.. last night to prick my non dominant hand, I use a standard lancet, none of these fancy FastClix etc... ;) So dominant hand not used at all. It is doable but awkward :confused: I hope you and your husband are getting on ok @Rdgfootyfan today