HR and type 2

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, not posted for a while. I was new diagnosed June 2018.
15 months later ive noticed an increase in my resting heart rate which is now 111. My GP said its stress related and sent me for ECG which came back all clear.
Am curious to know if anyone else suffers with increase in HR.?
My blood sugar is not the best and this is due to my own fault and poor diet. Medication I take is 1 - 1000 metformin daily.
Thank you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think it is fair to say that LDL alone is insufficient as a marker for anything (except possibly very high levels flag up Familial Hypercholesterolaemia).

We must needs to look at the HDL to Triglycerides ratio which is a marker for Insulin Resistance therefore T2.
We should aim for high HDL and low Trigs. It is my understanding that the worst cases scenario is high triglycerides plus low HDL plus high LDL.

Just to muddy the waters a little, very low LDL is also not a good sign.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to my Fitbit my resting heart rate is better. But then my bgl is also better.
No idea of the connection but I think there probably is one.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Guzzler im not the OP, but I’m a bit confused at how cholesterol levels impact heart rate?

@Marcus1234 I've had a high heart rate for the past 10 years (before diabetes diagnosis) resting rate generally between 110-120 since I got my sugars under control it’s come down to nearer 100. My heart rate when active can be 150+. There are many possible reasons I’ve always put mine down to other conditions and high pain levels. If the ecg is clear and blood pressure in range the GP doesn’t seem too bothered by higher heart rate.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Guzzler I'm not quite getting how your post, above, links with an increased heart rate?

@Marcus1234 - my resting heart rate is usually pretty low, but today I had a fairly stressful appointment. The consultant routines has height, weight and BP done before being seen. My BP and heart rate is always very high, due to white coat syndrome, but today may have been a new record for even me.

Stress can do dreadful things over the shorter or longer term.

Has your Doctor had you on a 24 hour monitor to see how things usually are for you?

I'm sure you'll be expecting the next bit, but bringing your blood sugars into a decent place could well help show an improvement to you.

Reactions: jjraak

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Guzzler im not the OP, but I’m a bit confused at how cholesterol levels impact heart rate?

@Marcus1234 I've had a high heart rate for the past 10 years (before diabetes diagnosis) resting rate generally between 110-120 since I got my sugars under control it’s come down to nearer 100. My heart rate when active can be 150+. There are many possible reasons I’ve always put mine down to other conditions and high pain levels. If the ecg is clear and blood pressure in range the GP doesn’t seem too bothered by higher heart rate.
I do apologise. I have not even viewed this thread but my comment (above) was unsuccessfully posted to a totally different thread. I will try to delete it from this one. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: jjraak

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Guzzler I'm not quite getting how your post, above, links with an increased heart rate?

@Marcus1234 - my resting heart rate is usually pretty low, but today I had a fairly stressful appointment. The consultant routines has height, weight and BP done before being seen. My BP and heart rate is always very high, due to white coat syndrome, but today may have been a new record for even me.

Stress can do dreadful things over the shorter or longer term.

Has your Doctor had you on a 24 hour monitor to see how things usually are for you?

I'm sure you'll be expecting the next bit, but bringing your blood sugars into a decent place could well help show an improvement to you.
Please see my comment below.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do apologise. I have not even viewed this thread but my comment (above) was unsuccessfully posted to a totally different thread. I will try to delete it from this one. Thanks for the heads up.
Your the second person I’ve seen tonight to post to an unintended thread. And saw your comment in a cholesterol thread that your posts went missing. There is works going on behind the scenes I believe, could be a few gremlins having their fun while the techies are doing their duties.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your the second person I’ve seen tonight to post to an unintended thread. And saw your comment in a cholesterol thread that your posts went missing. There is works going on behind the scenes I believe, could be a few gremlins having their fun while the techies are doing their duties.
I wonder if it is connected with notice site would be offline a few days ago..?

For the O/P....I find I'm at the other end of the scale.
I hope Usain bolt is as happy with my reading heart rate, as I am with his..;)

It is a worry, but if those we trust, say it's not an issue, maybe we should be able to relax a little bit.

My guess is, anxiety, worry has your resting heart rate higher then your comfortable with.

Have you looked into some meditation or mindfulness techniques,. Perhaps to slow you down and relax you.?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My RHR seems to be tied pretty directly to how much regular cardio exercise I get. I haven’t noticed a correlation with BG. Mine is not high, being between 62 and 70 per my Fitbit (which has been verified at the doctor and with my home BP monitor). It dropped from around 80- 85 when I was sedentary.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will add a caveat that although my Fitbit is accurate in terms of bpm (and weight age steps etc etc) I’m not sure it’s truely reflective of fitness. I do no activity beyond living essentials - despite numerous plans to the contrary - and think my cardio ability and muscle strength is fairly poor to average personally. Yet it rates me as very good to excellent for my age.

I laugh every time I read that and doubt all the assumptions and conclusions it uses as a result. Perhaps a super fit other half squews my perceptions in comparison, maybe I’m luckier than others with a great cardio system (something has to work great on the law of averages) but as a result mines a bit of a fancy watch.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your replies.

What has been happening with my HR is this.
If I exercise, brisk walking up hills, mountain biking, etc, my HR is 95-110. When I stop and rest my HR goes high to 130-145, it feels like my heart is catching up.
When im sitting/relaxing at home, my HR is between 68-72 and my resting HR is 68, however when I start moving around my house my HR goes to 100 plus (all this information is from my fitbit)
I am more curious to see if there is a connection with type 2 and high HR, if there is then how to reduce my HR.

Thanks again.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies.

What has been happening with my HR is this.
If I exercise, brisk walking up hills, mountain biking, etc, my HR is 95-110. When I stop and rest my HR goes high to 130-145, it feels like my heart is catching up.
When im sitting/relaxing at home, my HR is between 68-72 and my resting HR is 68, however when I start moving around my house my HR goes to 100 plus (all this information is from my fitbit)
I am more curious to see if there is a connection with type 2 and high HR, if there is then how to reduce my HR.

Thanks again.

Ok. So your resting HR is 68-72, not 111? Seems totally normal to me. No clue about connection to T2D.

I sometimes notice the “catch up” with short bursts of intense activity. Not all that high, until 1 minute after. I assume it’s normal, or Fitbit delay, due to my excessively sweaty arms in 90 degree heat with 80% humidity :) . As long as I’m in an expected range do activity (and it looks like you are?) then I don’t worry about it.

I can hit 100 getting up to pee at midnight. Again, seems normal to me?

Last edited:

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP says tachacardia because my RHR was 111 on examination and this is why I was referred for ECG.
Ok. So your resting HR is 68-72, not 111? Seems totally normal to me. No clue about connection to T2D.

I sometimes notice the “catch up” with short bursts of intense activity. Not all that high, until 1 minute after. I assume it’s normal, or Fitbit delay, due to my excessively sweaty arms in 90 degree heat with 80% humidity :) . As long as I’m in an expected range do activity (and it looks like you are?) then I don’t worry about it.

I can hit 100 getting up to pee at midnight. Again, seems normal to me?

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add a little more to the thread.

I am currently attending a Cardiac Rehab Programme every week following my heart attack in May.

My workout rate is around 105 BPM and when resting it is between 65 and 78 BPM.

On the programme they hook you up and the rehab team expect a resting heart rate of 90 BPM or less.

A resting heart rate of 68-72 is fine.

Do you monitor your blood pressure as it may be worth it?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP says tachacardia because my RHR was 111 on examination and this is why I was referred for ECG.

I’m obviously not a doctor, but I don’t consider a pulse taken after I’m hustled to a scale, then poked and prodded for BG, BP, oxygen saturation, etc to be a “resting” heart rate. I just pulled up my records on the app, and mine seems to be right around 100 when they take it.. I have white coat syndrome and my BP aLways runs higher too.

It seems good your doctor is being cautious and ordering the ECG.

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
Hi all, not posted for a while. I was new diagnosed June 2018.
15 months later ive noticed an increase in my resting heart rate which is now 111. My GP said its stress related and sent me for ECG which came back all clear.
Am curious to know if anyone else suffers with increase in HR.?
My blood sugar is not the best and this is due to my own fault and poor diet. Medication I take is 1 - 1000 metformin daily.
Thank you.

If you are obese, there are high chances having high HR unless you have other medical conditions.
Aerobic / cardio exercises are good way to reduce the Resting HR.
I had resting HR of 68-72 few years ago, which now has gone down to 46-52.
Ideally this two matrices should be kept in mind.

Ideal weight in KG = your height (in cms) - 100
Max HR = (220 - your age) x 0.8 for aerobic exercise

Try doing interval training cardio exercises, that would help in reducing Resting HR
Best time to check resting HR is in the morning as soon as you wake up and then from there you can take a random resting HR to find the difference between basal Resting HR and nominal resting HR.

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What's your body weight @Marcus1234?

I had a RHR of 100+ bpm a year ago and was prescribed a beta blocker, which helped with the tachycardia, but also with weight gain, so I stopped taking it.

Having been diagnosed around the same time with my diabetes, I flipped my diet around, lost 10 kg and now it's back down to 86 bpm.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to be overweight and lost 3 stone over 12 months.
My BP was slightly high when checked.
What puzzles me is the fluctuating HR, i can go upstairs and my HR will go to 124 cardio, i can walk and my HR will jump to 124 etc. However when I exercise etc its within normal range 94-100. My GP said it is not a concern and it is all stress related.