Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I grabbed my phone and glasses and headed towards our bonus room to ride my exercise bike. My husband speaks up and asks are you going high. I said no, I’m at 102. He then asked why are you getting on the exercise bike then. I told him I wanted to either drink some Kombucha or eat some pineapple and instead of taking some insulin I thought I would get on my bike.

He then goes, but you’ll drop too low then and have to eat something. I go that’s the point, I want some Kombucha and pineapple. He then shook his head at me and said but you already rode your bike why do you want to again? I said because I can and it’s better for me than just taking some insulin.

I had a big smile on my face at that point! He has paid some attention to what I do!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
That’s just it, isn’t it @becca59, other people may feel a bit guilty about the booze and the waistline, we’re made to feel hounded by the high. Which also feels physically bad. So we watch, count, adjust or jab. I can just about remember the time when I didn’t have to, but it was for school food, my mother’s not so wonderful cooking, my worse cooking and the restrictions of living on a student grant. Standout just dive in meals were the first time I had spag bol - cooked by a fellow student - and the first time I had moussaka.
@MeldCP, shall I bring my life painting kit to Cardiff today then?

Reactions: hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have a great day everyone, even if it’s spent getting the work mess sorted @helensaramay. Hope there’s another company that wants you and offers a better work-life balance than your current one.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning friends, 4.8 just now and I feel a bit woozy. It looks like another beautiful day, I hope everyone has a fabulous day. :)

Reactions: karen8967

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, have cousin to stay for the weekend. Lots of chatting and laughing. Let myself go food and alcohol wise. It was really enjoyable. Went to bed on good numbers. Woke at 1 with a 9 so took a unit. Woke up at 5 on 17.5 now sat waiting for it to come down before brekkie. Think I will have to reign myself in tonight! And there you have it, people without this condition just do that sort of thing regularly. Us, it’s all monitoring and guilt. Hey ho, onwards and hopefully not upwards, but nice and level.

@Manfer87 Interesting! Not something that Abbott mentions in their literature. Anyway, hope you have it firmly resting on your arm and are enjoying scanning and seeing all the results.

Enjoy the last of this beautiful sunny spell everyone whatever your plans.

@becca59 lovely to hear you enjoyed yourself.
I hope your numbers come down soon & you don't feel too guilty. I do know that is very important, not to beat yourself up about it.

Have a great weekend!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a box of chocolate sent from Korea and my diabetes is giving me that smirk like "lets eat the entire box of dark chocolate" but the box has the calories slapped on top of it - 696kcal for the whole box. :hilarious:

giphy.gif

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Mel dCP regarding the never switching off, a mate of mine is a GP. We were in holiday in Mexico and an a lady was carried past the restaurant where we were eating, my mate muttered “anaphylaxis” jumped out of her seat and ran outside ready to save lives.
The restaurant was next to a medical clinic and mate returned slightly shame faced.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tackling the autumn garden tidy up is also good for eating chocolate and not feeling guilty about possible impending highs which was last night's tactic. (The chocolate was necessary for the soothing of the soul. The start of the autumn garden tidy up was necessary on other grounds.)

As was picking 7lb (3.2 kilos) of blackberries today. I set off for a long walk, as I can't do so for the next two Saturdays, and got distracted by the berries en route which had turned black in the course of this week - so I succumbed to temptation, and have cleared some space in the freezer for another set of boxes. I've saved some for immediate eating, though, and one bowlful with some yoghurt got me through the second round of picking after I'd come home with the first 4lbs worth and landed in on a 4.2.

I may also be getting to do a bit of judo this year - a couple of my students really like it and were giggling like mad about me doing the supporting of them yesterday. As was the man who runs the session who knows my aversion to all things organised physical activity and has been much entertained by my antics in the gym with Young Vampire. The curriculum area I now work in has all students having a compulsory session in the gym every week, in my previous area it was definitely an optional activity for those who enjoyed it.

Take 3 on the long walk plan is about to start... now. Well, once I've shut the computer down, put my books back on and decided which snacks to take out with me. I may have seen enough blackberries until tomorrow's breakfast now!

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There were seals, and they approved. I think the trip to the more distant goodwins is best for seals, but hey ho, it was great to be out on a boat in the sun.
Enjoy chocosaturday all you who have chocs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! On the train to Cardiff for the 999 Emergency Services day, I’m helping on the Ambulance Service stand. No idea what I’m supposed to be actually DOING, but I have my trauma shears clipped to my belt just in case. Also useful for opening Amazon parcels (other online shopping services are available).
Could you get them to do the tetris challenge next time? I think it's really cool! https://www.omroepwest.nl/nieuws/39...allen-hun-spullen-uit-met-de-Tetris-Challenge (I know, Dutch article but it's just for the pictures :) )

I got a box of chocolate sent from Korea and my diabetes is giving me that smirk like "lets eat the entire box of dark chocolate" but the box has the calories slapped on top of it - 696kcal for the whole box. :hilarious:
So you could eat 2 of those boxes in a day and still have room for dessert without eating a ridiculous amount of calories!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My review on glucose tablets: very chalk, mad crunch, 10/10 would eat again. Yep and I almost choked

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_8924.jpg

IMG_8925.jpg

I forgot to show everyone the chocolates, it was too cute to eat but I couldn’t help it so I dived in for a taste. It is sweet for dark chocolate, light bitteness after taste but not super sweet. Most of all BG didn’t spike :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@MeiChanski I find the dark chocolate with nuts I eat has a delayed reaction to BG levels. I can take my dose needed when I actually eat it versus prebolusing for it. Probably because of the lower carbs and some fat in it.

Reactions: MeiChanski

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski I find the dark chocolate with nuts I eat has a delayed reaction to BG levels. I can take my dose needed when I actually eat it versus prebolusing for it. Probably because of the lower carbs and some fat in it.

Saying that, I might try that combo - crush up some dark chocolate and mix it with different nuts. Viola! Our very own trail mix. I was looking at the ingredients and I was thinking about a split dose for it. It worked out quite nicely today :)

Reactions: Marie 2