Not open for further replies.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
So bassicllay were meant to be going on holiday soon outside of Europe/UK.
However due to previous incidents and my diabeties. My diabeties is poorly under control and I stop testing because I don’t want to go back what I did 2014)
Explains in spoiler
Back in 2014 to many incidents in school and outside made me self harm myself by taking to much insulin I ended up in a diabetic coma for 1 week that week. No one knows the truth everyone just think it was a mistake
But however with the holiday insurance my mum keeps saying you have to prove your bloods in control and says she won’t take me or it’s not because it doesn’t cover.
My mum think I keep lying when I try to explain about why I stop testing and incidents she just won’t listen and keeps saying I’m lying when I’m not.

I’ve just starting to get it back into control.
I don’t want My diabeties to stop me from going on holiday.
I worried she’s going to take my brother instead of me. Thing is we’re supposed to leave on the 9th. She said I was going last weekend so I told everyone
I’m not in my work and won’t be able to meet up but my mum says I might not be able to now

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May not be the ideal solution, but as it’s soo soon you don’t have a period long enough to prove your diabetes management, could you come to an agreement with her that you manage it together while on holiday. She keeps your insulin, you test your sugar levels, then agree an insulin dose, after she checks your metre to see what your sugar levels were, and she watches you administer the insulin. I’m not sure if it would be something your comfortable with, I know your grown up and want to be independent, but it could be a suggestion that your mom would feel safer with.

Reactions: Petal85

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Wow, a holiday outside Europe. It sounds exciting. I can understand if your mother’s a bit worried though, especially if you’re not sure any longer what your blood sugar levels are doing.
Are you worried? Spoiler alert - I’ve read it. Do you fear it might happen again? What could you do to make sure it doesn’t? Would @Fndwheelie’s suggestion work?
What does your mother want? What’s she not listening to? I can guess what she might be saying, but it’s only a guess.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just had a thought. Do you think your GP would prescribe a glucagon kit to take with you on holiday? It’s contains dried glucagon, which is a substance that asks the liver to put glucose into the blood, plus some sterile water to mix with it and a syringe and needle to administer it with. If your mother could look after the glucagon then she’d have something to get you out of a massive hypo if you had one.
You might also be happier testing, and working out what to inject.
Have you been on a Dafne course? If you haven’t then maybe you could ask your medical team to arrange it for you? Dafne helps a great deal with working out just how much insulin you need for what you eat.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Lulu9101112 A holiday would be a great plan, a change of scene is always good.

My question is what is the likelihood of you self harming again with your insulin ?

Can you open up to anyone about your previous incident too ?

Ideally getting your mental health back on track again would help you manage your diabetes better but understanding the causes behind the reasons for self harming too, otherwise the pattern could repeat and cause both you and your mum alot of anxiety.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lulu9101112 ,

Wow a holiday...

Your mum knows you better than I do.
Could you not sit down with your mum & let her express her concerns regarding your wellbeing on this trip? & meet her somewhere on the issue resolving it for you both.
There are many simple precautions that can be taken for any diabetic embarking on an adventure. (Plenty of thread topics regarding traveling abroad.)
But there are still possibilities something can go wrong....

Taking necessary precautions, thus avoiding finding oneself in a foreign hospital with hefty additional health care bills is always at the forefront of my mind to create a relaxing holiday experience for those I travel with.. (Including myself.)

Hope you get to have fun! :)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fndwheelie I don’t want to sound weird but I’m fine with that when it’s not in public. But in public from another persons view it would look weird that a adult (my mum) has to check my monitor every time and I’m afraid that would be embarrassing and that I might get bullied about it especially because I’m a tourist in a foreign country.
@Fairygodmother I used to live in other countries however I’m pretty sure once we weren’t allowed to take the glucagon through security as it was over 100ml and we always take but carry on luggage. I don’t really want to cause hassle to anyone at the airport, myself/mum.

@Juicyj I understand that but I’m too afraid to open up about 2014. Incase they have to tell others about it and I know I should get it back on track.

@Jaylee the thing is I think she already knows I did live in other countries in my childhood including after I got diagnosed. And I have had it for 13 years since

Thanks guys.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lulu9101112 ,

What country is the holiday planned , & does your mother & you have experience with the region...?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Lulu9101112, you don’t say were you’re travelling to but in my experience you can take glucagon through security as it’s essential medical supplies. You’ll need a letter from your doctor that explains what the supplies are and why you need them. As long as the glucagon’s unopened and you tell the security personnel that you have it, there shouldn’t be any problems. The same goes for Frio pouches. I’ve travelled with both quite a few times since the restrictions on liquids were introduced.
A smile and an an explanation is also a good security soother.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fndwheelie I don’t want to sound weird but I’m fine with that when it’s not in public. But in public from another persons view it would look weird that a adult (my mum) has to check my monitor every time and I’m afraid that would be embarrassing and that I might get bullied about it especially because I’m a tourist in a foreign country.

Lulu- I find how people regard things very much depends upon how we do things.

I can see if your Mum was in control and having to make a thing of seeing your meter, it could get to be like making a scene. If, on the other hand, you do your test, just quietly and discreetly, then hand your meter to your Mum, to anyone happening to be looking in your direction, it could just look like you're looking on your phone for something.

When I've dealt with my diabetes in public, I generally find folks are more interested in what's going on in their own lives. I think we think they're looking at us, but more often than not, they haven't a clue what's been going on.

When are you do to going away?

Costa Rica is fab.

Diabetes is a global condition and the World Health Organisation states the following:

upload_2019-8-9_13-46-0.png

I appreciate this is quite old data, but it give your the drift. We're in the European region and Costa Rica, being Central American, it's in Region of the Americas.

If you want to see the whole report it's here: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream...d=466BAE30FA517E3138EE843C89971E06?sequence=1

I really hope you can get to enjoy a great adventurre in Cost Rica.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I would just cancel the holiday
I think they might have been by now. And why should the entire family miss out on a break?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry guys this is old I meant to update but forgot I went back on the 10th-18th of August and things were fine. So there’s no need to message and mods if it’s possible close this thread

Reactions: Antje77
Status
Not open for further replies.