Checking for ketones

Lisaopp

I read about DKA and it really scares me! I learned checking for ketones and have been checking for ketones randomly using ketone urine sticks. Lately, I've had moderate-high ketones, with blood sugars below 200, even below 150, yet I feel fine. I have a blood ketone monitor and I've had ketone levels up to 2.4. I don't my doctor and she told me not to check. And I said but I did, and I have high ketones, so what do I do, and she said to do nothing - and only check when I don't feel well.
So my question is - I should just not care and do nothing? Aren't high ketones dangerous or at least "unhealthy"? I'm not dieting.

Background info: I was dx'd as LADA, type 1. I have a decent c-peptide (2.1) and have been treated with oral medications (Jardiance and Metformin, as well as 2 units of Lantus) since being diagnosed. My a1c is 6.5. And I eat about 1800 calories a day, which includes about 140 carbs.

I'm sorry this was so long. I'm just so very confused on this topic. And, I lost 3 lbs without trying and she said my blood sugar would have to be sky high for diabetic weight loss to occur.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How do you feel? If you are not feeling unwell then there is a chance the meter strips were faulty. If you feel unwell go and see a medic.

Lisaopp

How do you feel? If you are not feeling unwell then there is a chance the meter strips were faulty. If you feel unwell go and see a medic.
Hi and thank you for your reply.

I feel fine. I only tested out of curiosity, I never expected to have ketones but I do have them, moderate to large, almost everyday for a few days. And I double checked with my blood ketone monitor, which has come back with results as 1.9, 2.2, 2.4. Just not understanding why my doctor would say "don't look" or look the other way.
So confused. I feel like I should be doing something.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi and thank you for your reply.

I feel fine. I only tested out of curiosity, I never expected to have ketones but I do have them, moderate to large, almost everyday for a few days. And I double checked with my blood ketone monitor, which has come back with results as 1.9, 2.2, 2.4. Just not understanding why my doctor would say "don't look" or look the other way.
So confused. I feel like I should be doing something.

What are you eating at the moment?

I am trying to stay in ketosis by eating LCHF and I would be more than happy with those figures.

I assume that you know that there are two common reasons for ketones in the blood:

(1) You aren't eating enough carbohydrates (or even enough calories) to meet your normal energy demands so your body starts to produce ketones to fill the gap. Alongside this, if you are losing weight then your body is having to release fat from your fat cells to provide you with enough energy. As I understand it most people produce ketones to some extent overnight (assuming that they are asleep and not eating).

This is generally associated with normal or near normal BG levels.

(2) Your blood is full of sugar, but your body can't use it. Either it isn't producing enough insulin or the insulin resistance is too high. Either way the cells of the body can no longer use the glucose in the blood for energy.
In this case the body switches to "emergency mode" and starts generating ketones for energy.

This is normally associated with very high BG levels (BG high but the glucose not being used) and can lead to Diabetic Keto Acidosis (DKA) which is very dangerous.

Bottom line, it is quite normal to have ketones in the blood stream, and not a problem as long as your BG levels are under control.

I assume your GP has confirmed that you are not at risk of DKA and has suggested that constant testing and worrying about the results is likely to be counter productive.